Help with food, recipes and diet!

Options
I'm really struggling trying to get my diet right.

I'm a guy and I've set myself a goal of 2100 calories a day which keeps me topped up, but not in starvation mode.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow me images, but I have uploaded one here if you want to have a look what I mean
It's a full breakdown of what I will eat today.

Normally, I have porridge for breakfast - I treated myself to poached eggs, granary bread (no butter) and beans as I have lost 4lbs this week. Oddly, it wasn't much more calories or carbs wise and it's all low GI.

http://photodok.com/out.php/i2404_12-9-2012.png

the upshot is this:

Totals 1,504 200 32 111 2,469 33
Your Daily Goal 2,100 194 43 97 2,500 18
Remaining 596 -6 11 -14 31 -15
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber

I'm comfortable with Carbs, Protein and Fiber, but I'm way short of calories and have some fat allowance if I need it.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• pengem789
    Options
    I've been at this "dieting" thing a very long time. I love that MFP makes you aware of what you're eating, but it is not an EXACT science. You won't get the precise amount of alloted calories every single day (even if you think you do, it's probable that a measurement or ingredient is not exact anyway...) As long as you know you are eating healthy food with good nutrition and you feel satiated (not FULL, but not hungry) throughout your day, I think you're doing well. I LOVE allrecipes.com for recipes...If you have chicken breasts in the freezer, you can search chicken and come up with hundreds of recipes. I usually search "healthy chicken" or "vegetable chicken" , etc. to try not to have to sift through all of the high fat ones. It looks to me like you're doing well. Don't beat yourself up over EXACT calorie count. You seem to be doing great!
  • stu_
    stu_ Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. That's really helpful. I'm glad I appear to be doing this right.

I'm actually comfortable with the actual taste of stuff - I really actually like fresh vegetables and Salad and I'm eating a lot of them!
    It's just that other than providing a bit of fiber and lots of goodness and vitamins, it's not helping my calories (or carbs).

I'll continue to eat them until I feel satisfied (as you say, not full).
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you want to boost your calories and have the allowance for fat, eat some almonds! They're higher in calories, light on the stomach, and full of healthy fats. It's a perfect snack for when you're just a bit hungry. They also give a nice little boost in energy. But I agree with the other girl, only eat when you're hungry, and as long as you're not eating junk food, you should be ok. Don't ever over stuff yourself or starve yourself!