Recommended Daily Sugar intake

Options
According to a WHO 2003 report the recommended sugar daily intake for someone is 10%. That means that if a person should be consuming 2000 Kcal per day only 200 of them should come from sugars. The sugars the report is referring to are free sugars added to meals rather than sugars found naturally in food.

According to MFP and based on a 1620 Kcal/day diet plan i am allowed to consume 32gr of sugar which are equal to 32 gr x 4 kcal/gr = 128 kcal . Most days I struggle to keep under this goal although most of my sugar intake comes from fruit (fructose)

Any thoughts about what is the recommended consumption on sugar and how to keep you sugar consumption low without restricting the variety/number of fruits one can have?

Replies would be much appreciated as I have history of diabetes in my family

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If I hadn't seen this post, I'd have asked the same question. I just used up 10 out of my daily allowed 27 g of sugar in just milk and blueberries. And yes, I too struggle with my sugar quota each day. Any answers appreciated.
  • melkorsbane
    melkorsbane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would always try to keep your sugar intake as low as possible. I don't know that I would put a high side requirement on it, because with so many foods with some form of sugar it would be very difficult to calculate, as that would just add too much stress to manage. Also 60 Minutes did an expose about sugar consumption a few months ago with Sanjay Gupta. Might be worth checking that out.
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just to add that I do not add any sugar in tea/coffee or when I cook. Also I always buy food with no added sugar
  • krithsai
    Options
    I do add sugar to my morning coffee....but even if I eat baby carrots for a snack, that adds up and takes my sugar over the quota. I have no clue about how seriously I should take the sugar calories from fruits, vegetables, milk etc. Some research is necessary.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    my sugar intake is always double or triple what MFP has it set at. and i dont care. its all from fruit and sweet potatoes.

and i will NOT be one of the crazies that cut out fruit to "avoid sugar"
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @_stephanie0: Completely agree.

My aim is not to avoid sugar but to ensure that I am not eating more that I should and then end up with diabetes...
  • krithsai
    Options
    Your concern is very valid. I think about it seriously because as such I don't lose a lot of weight because I weight train a lot, I see muscle definition and toning but my scale doesn't make me very happy. I just want to know that I am not wasting all my efforts just by eating that extra sugar. Also, I keep hearing that your body doesn't know between different kinds of sugar - sugar is sugar. I am trying to find more info but everything just leaves me confused!
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, however, our bodies process different kinds of sugar differently. For example, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is manufactured sugar, so when you consume it you're essentially consuming a chemical. Our bodies don't know how to process these chemicals and in turn, they reek havoc on our metabolisms.

Bottom line is, it's nearly impossible to avoid sugar, just try to avoid the processed crap. ;)
  • krithsai
    Options
    "just try to avoid the processed crap" - this is what I try to do. Cutting out those unnecessary sources of artificial sugar - I started by reducing to 2 packs of sugar from 3 in my daily coffee...Coffee doesn't taste as great but I remind myself that there were days when I used to use 4 packs :)
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I almost posted this same topic today. I try to eliminate any added sugar and to keep my natural sugars to a minimum. Even if I go over I would rather it be naturally occuring rather than processed.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As far as diabetes prevention goes, sugar is sugar. Of course sugar from fruit is better than the sugar in a coke because it comes with fiber, but it is broken down the same way in your body. Same goes for other sources of sugar like bread and pasta. I have PCOS, so I have been watching my DIRECT sugar intake for years. It was easy to get rid of processed stuff, but the more I researched the more I realized that wasn't enough. Whether the carbs are refined or whole grain, they lead to the same spike and dip in insulin that can lead to insulin resistance...scary words for someone with PCOS.

Some people feel as though limiting fruit is crazy because fruit is healthy. Well a ton of fruit isn't healthy if you have problems with it! I try to eat a couple servings of lower sugar fruits every day (berries are my favorite) and save the more sugary stuff for a few times a week. For example, today I've had blueberries and 1/2 a medium banana.

For me, my focus has shifted to overall carbohydrate intake instead of just sugar. That way, if I do want that whole peach I'm not concerned about the 10 or so grams of sugar because I'm not eating it with other things that will TURN into sugar in my body.