Olive Garden Help!!

Options
So I have been eating VERY healthy and strict and I love it, but my grandpas birthday is Friday and we are all going out to Olive Garden. I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish. I dont know what to get, i need ideas on low cal options and how to order it!! :/

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I only eat the Herb Baked Salmon when I go to OG.
  • bbybraelow
    Options
    should I order it a specific way?
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just went there last night and had the salmon with broccoli. Pretty good, but I would ask to leave off the olive oil next time or go light with it. The menu says "brushed" but there was a pool underneath.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've never ordered the salmon in a specific way but I'm not a vegetarian either. I order the Herb Grilled Salmon only because it has the least amount of sodium among all the main courses in the non-kids section of the menu.

http://www.olivegarden.com/core_content/pdfs/olive_garden_nutrition.pdf
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I always get Ravioli Di Portabella. It's under 700 calories and delicious.
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always get WW Linguine alla Marinara with grilled shrimp.
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OH and it is like 480 total in calories...leaving room for a bit or two of dessert. :)
  • racbergs
    Options
    I believe they have a lower calorie menu (I'm sure they'll have a vegetarian option on it), also you can ask for the nutrition information :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Call it a cheat meal and enjoy. Ur kinda outta luck at OG. Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate and stay clear of the bread sticks. They rack up calories WAY to quick.
  • bara_rei
    Options
    Stay away from the salad! It seems like it should be the healthiest thing there, but they douse it in so much oily salad dressing that it's actually close to 300 cals a bowl. Either ask for the dressing on the side or skip the salad entirely.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I love the parmesan-crusted tilapia, and it's not bad at 590 calories, which includes the pasta and veggie sides dishes that it comes with.
  • minuet42
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the OG (ours is kind of awful, and nearly everything I've ever had at any location has been too salty), BUT - I do usually get the Pasta e Fagioli and salad with dressing on the side (not totally sure what the base is for the soup, so that might not work for your needs). If I want something more substantial (i.e. if I want PASTA!) I also get the Linguine alla Marinara.
  • nixiewatersprite
    Options
    I was there just the other night and got angel hair pasta (180 calories) and marinara sauce (80 calories) no breadsticks tho (140 calories). It filled me up just fine!
    Good luck - Meg <3
    Oh and if you get the salad they have low fat dressing, get it on the side (not sure of the cals tho).
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    There are many options. If you can eat fish, yes get the fish. Salmon is better for you in general and they normally grill or bake it. Secondly, you have to ask for wheat noodles. They do have them, but you have to ask. It is unfortunate that they don't have that right on the menu but I love olive garden and found my way around the system. Like someone above me, when it says "Brushed" with any kind of oil ask for light. Brush isn't really a good measure and in a hurry the cook can slather on quite a lot. As usual opt for water/unsweetened tea (that you can use a little artificial sweetner in) and if you are feeling a treat go for one of the breadsticks. I am so anal about my diet and exercise but my aunt told me a few months ago "I am proud of you, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses". At first I was like UH HELL NO I am not breaking my diet but then a very close friends birthday came around and instead of being "that" person that was so anal about everything I decided what I was going to eat before I left the house, Splurged a tiny bit *mm cake* and stuck back to plan the next day. So in reality, if you really want a breadstick, have one. But one. That is where your education about food comes in. Moderation.

The second thing you can do is ask for a takeaway box as soon as your meal comes and put 1/2 away, that way you aren't tempted to eat a whole dish when generally they give you enough for two meals.

Thirdly, do not weigh yourself the next day. EVERYTHING you get at a restaurant is higher in sodium therefore your body may retain water and you do not want to get a negative association with treating yourself vs. the scale. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain weight in one meal. It takes at least 7 days of bad eating for real weight gain to happen. So remember, one meal every once in a while really will not affect your true weight.

Hope this helps :)
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Call it a cheat meal and enjoy. Ur kinda outta luck at OG. Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate and stay clear of the bread sticks. They rack up calories WAY to quick.

This. The only thing I do different from before, is eat 1/2 of a serving of whatever I order instead of everything they serve me. I still feel full and I have yummy food for the next day.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Instead of guessing, look at the nutritional information online and plan out your meal ahead of time: http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/.

Sometimes when eating out, I'll plan to only eat half my entree and take the rest home (a second meal) and add a cup of soup (non-cream-based, of course) so you're less hungry when it comes. If I plan it out beforehand, (1) I get excited about all of the yummy food for dinner and can eat healthier during the day and (2) I'm more likely to stick to it when I get there. This is always easier at chains, of course, because they all (or most of them) have nutritional information online that's quite comprehensive.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Make sure to steer clear of the breadsticks. 140 calories each if I remember correctly. Unless you budget in for them. Don't be afraid to eat "regular" food. It's ok every once in a while and it makes it easier to stick to it on a daily basis.
  • bbybraelow
    Options
    okay so i think i will go with the salmon, it's just salmon and veggies correct? or does it come with pasta? I don't want any pasta i just want the healthiest thing I can find haha. they don't do lunch portions of the salmon im guessing?
  • bbybraelow
    Options
    also, the website says the salmon is 510 calories, is that just for the everything on the plate when they serve it?because if i box up half then it should be 255 calories correct?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the OG (ours is kind of awful, and nearly everything I've ever had at any location has been too salty), BUT - I do usually get the Pasta e Fagioli and salad with dressing on the side (not totally sure what the base is for the soup, so that might not work for your needs). If I want something more substantial (i.e. if I want PASTA!) I also get the Linguine alla Marinara.

I believe the Pasta e Fagioli has meat - but the Minestrone doesn't (and is the lowest calorie soup and my son's favorite).