Need help lower Sugar intake - ideas?

Options
I just recently started watching my sugar in my food diary - apparently I have been having too much sugar everyday since I started. I'm thinking this is what may be slowly my weight lost process.

I would love some tips for lower my sugar intake.

Also, should I really be concerned about the total sugar when 90% of the sugar is coming from fresh fruits. There has to be a different between using refined sugar and sugar from fruits. Thoughts?

Replies

• AnaTheApple
    Options
    ah me too, I'm ALWAYS over my sugar allowance - can anyone help?
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Should I be worried about this if most the sugars are coming from fruit?
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just try to stay away from dried fruit, processed sugar and processed food (containing sugar). I'm not sure what your goal is.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    I personally avoid any and all sugars even fruit no matter what kind of sugar it spikes your insulin levels that can lead to fat storage. If you do have fruit a post-workout apple is good for you the insulin spike will help nutrient consumption/breakdown in your muscles.
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't know that it causes insulin spike and can lead to fat storage. I'm still trying to figure out all the tips like that. I actually didn't do biology before so, I have a lot of gaps to fill in.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would lose the morning cup of "double double" coffee (it has 22 grams of sugar).

Also, every now and then, instead of yogurt (or that second piece of fruit), try cottage cheese, peanut butter on a rice cake, or some almonds.

I too am trying to cut down on my sugar intake. Recently, I replaced my morning bowl of cereal with oatmeal.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are someone who actually uses Sugar ... you may want to try using Steevia.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try researching "glycemic index" to see how carbs effect blood sugar.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I follow a low-carb diet, so I try to avoid limit my consumption of sugar...including sugar from fruits. That's not to say I don't eat fruit, but I would chose blueberries over a banana or an apple over a mango. When I do use banana, it's in my breakfast smoothie and is the major source of carbs for that meal. Since I know that the source of sugar in my diet comes from fruit, I don't track sugar...just overall carb intake.