abs/upper arms workouts?

Options
Lookinh to tone my abs and arms, any good exercizes for starters? I do have heart problems so nothing too hard please!

Replies

• Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that if you have heart problems that you can do much cardio, but you have to lose the fat over the muscle before you'll be able to see any toning you want to have done. Planks are good for your core as well as bicycle type crunches. I've heard lunges actually help tone your core too and any kind of weight lifting will also benefit your stomach muscles. As.far.as arms, I'll let someone else handle that.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started out using 2 or 3 pound hand weights. I would lift while watching TV. Now I try to use them during my workouts.
  • GnarlyBro
    GnarlyBro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that if you have heart problems that you can do much cardio, but you have to lose the fat over the muscle before you'll be able to see any toning you want to have done. Planks are good for your core as well as bicycle type crunches. I've heard lunges actually help tone your core too and any kind of weight lifting will also benefit your stomach muscles. As.far.as arms, I'll let someone else handle that.

I am an avid cyclist, owning many race bikes. (: cardio os no problem for me. I just have to take to slow sometimes.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    If you are at home without the benefit of weights: push ups, tricep dips, planks, side planks, mountain climbers, burpees, all workout core and upper body...

If you go to a gym...pick up weights, as heavy as you can lift while keeping good form or use the machines....overhead press, side raises, upright rows, rows, bicep curls, tricep extensions, side raises, lat pull down...

Plus planks, push ups, tricep dips, burpees, mountain climbers, etc...

Start at your own pace and increase reps and weights as you feel fit...

Instead of biking, try running or walking...
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    These steps listed here are best for beginning even if you have access to gym or weights for strength training. momol3and 3 has addressed most of needs as you'll be strengthening core(essential to avoid injury) as well as light weight to begin toning.......great common sense advice
  • cpanther95
    cpanther95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also recommend horizontal rows to balance the push/pull.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    www.hundredpushups.com is worth looking at. There is also a two hundred push ups tab there also. you take an initial test and then start at the suggested point and then gradually work you way. It breaks you in gradually.

Have you spoken to your doctor about a good place to start if you have a history of heart problems?
  • swilson1226
    swilson1226 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!!!! :smile:
  • GnarlyBro
    GnarlyBro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    www.hundredpushups.com is worth looking at. There is also a two hundred push ups tab there also. you take an initial test and then start at the suggested point and then gradually work you way. It breaks you in gradually.

Have you spoken to your doctor about a good place to start if you have a history of heart problems?

Yes :D I have. I'm fine to do my workouts, my heart is healthy, I just have problems with my .... Well it's tachycardia. It's not making me any weaker. So as long as I can handle my breathing, I'm fine