Going to first ever fitness class.

Options
Despite having been losing weight and maintaining and into fitness for a good few years now, I have never been to a gym or done any sort of organised class - for the first few years I was losing weight I wouldn't work out in front of anyone, even family. I've slowly got over that and although I don't love it I will now go for a swim and I run in public, have even done a few races - but the idea of a class still fills me with dread and I've even had a few sleepless nights over it!!

I think it would help me if I knew more what to expect and I know it will be different depending on the gym etc but I am freaking out over the smallest and silliest details that really don't matter and most people wouldn't even consider - things like the fact I don't know what I do when I get there, do I have to go to recpeption and 'sign in' in some way even though I already booked the class, I do I just go straight to the room it is being held? Once there how do I know if I just go in or if it's still the previous class in there? Do I have to announce myself/sign in to any one in there? As a newbie am I best off at the back? Can I take in a bottle of water and towel with me? Where do I put those?

So if any one could talk me through how it works at their gym, including these small details and any thing else you think might help I would really appreciate it :)

Once I have done it once I am sure I will love it and be fine, it's just taking that first step.

Replies

• mrsc86
    mrsc86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I will start by saying you will be fine. In answer to your questions...

Once booked in, I can usually just go straight to the class. If you get there about 10 minutes before and people are moving around, it will be the previous class. If it's empty you can usually go in. There will often be people waiting outside if there is class already taking place. You normally wont need to announce yourself - just go in and pick a spot! When I first started I stayed at the back and put by towel and water behind/to the side of me against a wall. As you get more confident you can move forward...

Hope this helps
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Firstly, good for you for finally deciding to face your demons and go!!!

I have been to several gyms and places that run classes and firstly let me say that most of them are very friendly and the staff/other participants are usually very helpful. If they are not then your at the wrong place, and need to find somewhere that is friendly!!

There should be some sort of reception area and if you go to them they will be able to tell you what you need to do. You do usually need to register each time you visit in some way, and they can also direct you where to go - changing rooms, showers, studio, etc. There are usually lockers in the changing rooms where you can lock away anything that you will not need in the studio. Where I go you have to put a refundable pound coin in the locker, so make sure you have a small amount of cash with you. You should take along a towel (for mopping up all the sweat!!) and some water both of which you will need with you in the studio.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything else (no matter how small a detail it is).

Have fun :-)