Another try at losing weight....help please someone!!

Options
I have just found this web page to help people lose weight. I have tried everything recently but due to a really dull and boring job i find myself eating constantly. I have put on a stone in the last 6 months from just doing nothing but eat all day. I have 2 stone to lose but i just cant seem to motivate myself. i hate being like this. I cant fit into any of my clothes and half lost my self confidence. My brother is getting married in 6 weeks time and now i dont want to go. I need some people to help motivate my and get myself back into shape. I have two teenage boys, one who has just lost 4 stone. We have joined a gym but due to eating all day i dont feel like i have the energy to exercise!! (how bad is that??). Please please leave me a message so we can become diet buddies. I am 41 years old with a loving patient partner who isnt helping with the diet!! (he says he'll love me whatever my size) which is nice but not stopping me eating all day! when i am at home in the evening i dont feel the need to eat at all its just during the day when i am at work bored.

Replies

• hydihobo
    Options
    Awww I feel your pain, I really do. I am in a similar position to you with a dull sit down job, eating due to bordem and no energy or motivation to get to the gym. It's expensive and makes you feel worse for not going or exercising and for eating things you shouldn't!

I have just joined today and have set myself a mission to loose a stone in the next few months, I'd love to help you, give you motivation etc over the next few months to help make our aims reality.

Best of luck to you and welcome to MFP - it certainly seems like the right place to start!
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes its very difficult to "go it alone". All of my friends are sickeningly slim and gorgeous!! I'd hate them if they weren't all so nice lol! My son has manage to lose 4 stone by eating sensibly and going to the gym. I go to the gym with him and also eat well at home, but once I get to work, anything that fits in my mouth goes in!! I dont like chocolate very much but have even started eating that too. It makes me so down and fed up with myself.

I too have joined today and want to lose 2 stone. Would be great if we could help each other reach our goals.

Good luck to you too!! If you would like to email as well my email address is zulukodaghost@hotmail.com. Sorry its a bit long winded but i had 3 cats when i opened the account!! (i know have 4 and a dog too)!!

Well take care and I hope to hear from you soon

xx
  • dhnuber
    dhnuber Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new here as well and am struggling... someone said to me yesterday that if you just take it a day at a time.... first thing... get to the gym... find someone to show you around... set a goal. (yesterday I walked for 30 minutes... don't know how far or how fast... but I walked)....

You can do it... I think we can all help each other...

Today is a new day!!!
    blessings,
    dana
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am also going it alone. I eat really healthily in the morning and throught the day when I am powering up in the morning or occupied with work through the day, but when my partner goes to bed at around 10pm I can't switch off until about midnight - two hours when I undo all my good work!

I am ashamed to say that between 10 and 12 I can eat an extra four slices of wholemeal bread and marj with about a desertspoon of peanut butter on each of those, a packet of cheese puffs, a Cranberry muesli bar, a small piece of chocolate and about four apples - because I feel guilty so I eat something healthy afterwards! OK - that's about 400, 200, 90, 100, 40, 200 - that's an extra 1000 calories in two hours just before bedtime.

Now, if I could just not eat those items I could reduce my weight easily.

I am eating all my calories per day so that is 1000 calories over my daily target. No wonder I am not losing weight or yo-yoing!

It's those small hours.

But you are not alone and together we can acheive our target weights.

There is a lady at work who must have lost about 6 stone. People laughed behind her back - now she looks stunning. I want that and we can all have it.

So, what will I (we) do different tonight?
  • moreen2
    Options
    I can relate to what you are feeling. Most of us have desk jobs. You will find myfitnesspal an excellent tool to track with.
    Exersicse=a daily medication.
    Food=Why would you eat poison? (be aware of toxic behavior )
    You have taken positive steps by joining this website. Seek behavior modification services via a Doctor or a support group. Keep us posted on how it is going for you.:drinker:
  • hydihobo
    Options
    Small steps and portion control seem to be the top tips that I have learnt today.

I also eat just before bed or even in bed sometimes (naughty I know) it's a bad habit to have, I feel guilty every time but my dinner just doesn't cut it so by 10pm I'm hungry again. I also don't really have a sweet tooth but find myself eating sweets or chocolate, followed occasionally by and orange or apple or something healthy to try and balance it out which is just plain silly!

I've heard in various places that you shouldn't eat after 9pm but I don't know how you can survive the rest of the night and not wake up starving. Each night I say to myself "right Hydi tonight I am not going to eat anything after tea" but then end up eating some crisps or a yoghurt.

Tonight I AM NOT going to eat anything after my dinner and if I'm still hungry later tough, I will eat something yummy in the morning. I have started monitoring this on a chart I got on-line along with my exercise so that my habits are all in one place waiting to be ticked or crossed depending on if I've been a good girl or bad girl, I've also decided to write things on there no matter how silly they are as I want to keep up the changes and not just think about them, for me having things written makes it official and less avoidable. (If this is any help to anyone I can give you the website)

Also a good tip is to drink a glass of water before every meal as it fills you up more so you eat/feel the need to eat less, I have tried to do this recently and it works (when I remember)

I hope this doesn't sound like a lecture, I'm just trying to share the things that are helping me in the hope you might gain something from them too.

Break those habits!
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have just found this web page to help people lose weight. I have tried everything recently but due to a really dull and boring job i find myself eating constantly. I have put on a stone in the last 6 months from just doing nothing but eat all day. I have 2 stone to lose but i just cant seem to motivate myself. i hate being like this. I cant fit into any of my clothes and half lost my self confidence. My brother is getting married in 6 weeks time and now i dont want to go. I need some people to help motivate my and get myself back into shape. I have two teenage boys, one who has just lost 4 stone. We have joined a gym but due to eating all day i dont feel like i have the energy to exercise!! (how bad is that??). Please please leave me a message so we can become diet buddies. I am 41 years old with a loving patient partner who isnt helping with the diet!! (he says he'll love me whatever my size) which is nice but not stopping me eating all day! when i am at home in the evening i dont feel the need to eat at all its just during the day when i am at work bored.

Add me as a friend. This is definitely a great way to get yourself in gear. MFP offer support and guidance. Good Luck! Remember you will only get the results based on the work you put into this. The more you put in the more you will get out.
  • karch123
    Options
    Plz add me...I am new here...and in the same boat as you! :) We can motivate each other!!
  • swkittrell
    Options
    Where do you work? I have a rule that I follow that has worked for me it may work for you. I only eat what I bring to work. That way I can controll what I eat. I am tied down to a desk in a office. I do go out for lunch and usually I try to stay on target. I live in the USA and do not know what a stone is? If you have not made your mind to that is a big part of the plan that keeps me motivated. You need to find what works for you. Health issues were my biggest motivation. My knees hurt so bad I could hardly walk. Now that I am down 20 lbs. I am not in that much pain. I had lost 12 lbs before I found this web site. Good luck in making the choices that are correct for you.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim,
    I'm in the same rut with eating during the job. My tip would be to set a timer on your computer or your phone or etc. Pack only healthy snacks and leave cash at home (so you can't use the vending!). Eat snacks only when the timer goes off and remind yourself in the waiting periods how satisfying it will be to actually eat what you brought with you when that timer goes off, instead of snacking constantly and feeling bad about yourself because of it. The reward for waiting is self confidence, which is so much better than mindless entertainment, right?!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Where do you work? I have a rule that I follow that has worked for me it may work for you. I only eat what I bring to work. That way I can controll what I eat. I am tied down to a desk in a office. I do go out for lunch and usually I try to stay on target. I live in the USA and do not know what a stone is? If you have not made your mind to that is a big part of the plan that keeps me motivated. You need to find what works for you. Health issues were my biggest motivation. My knees hurt so bad I could hardly walk. Now that I am down 20 lbs. I am not in that much pain. I had lost 12 lbs before I found this web site. Good luck in making the choices that are correct for you.

A stone is 14 lbs.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been having success with a low carb diet. I have lost fourteen lbs. in 42 days by resticting carbs. I started at 100 grams & started losing but then my weight loss stalled. Someone on this site suggested that I lower the carbs & up the fat. I have dropped the carbs on down to around 40 & have started losing again.My diary is open is you want to look at my food choices. I love not being hungry & always having something I can eat. Hope this helps. I want to lose about twenty more lbs.
  • jkdorf
    Options
    I hear you! I was up to 18lbs off and now I've gained back 6. It's SO easy to backslide. I'll be glad to be your diet buddy, though my goals are maybe a bit more long term. I have a LOT of weight to lose. So I'll be at this for some months. More encouragement is always a good thing! :happy:
  • lara1331
    Options
    I think it's incredibly brave to admit when you're having trouble with weight and losing it. I'm by no means overweight but I'm struggling to get the last few pounds off my frame. It really is day by day. Meal by meal, even! Looking too far into the future can be overwhelming and make you want to give up so don't think about next week or even tomorrow. Just concentrate on your food today and you'll find you get more and more able as time passes. Good luck!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Change what you are eating all day... fruits and veggies that have little or no calories... It's a start.....And DRINK lots of water!!!!!
  • shamsulazhar
    shamsulazhar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that the Zone diet works very well for me. I've lost 20kg so far using this site to track my meals and also following the zone diet. The problem with restricting your calorie input is that you tend to be hungrier than usual but the Zone diet focuses on controlling your hormones so always feel satiated even on a low calorie diet.

I recommend reading this book for more info on this diet :-

http://bit.ly/thezonediet
  • dtauro
    dtauro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am 53 this year and understand your feelings of helplessness. But YOU are in CONTROL - food does not control you. It does control how your body works. Eat a good breakfast that includes protein, fruit, and good breads. That will make it easier to get through the morning. If you have to snack try lowfat string cheese - does great to snack and controls your hunger. If you need the sensation of chocolate or crunchy chips - try this website www.nutmegstatenutrition.com - they have great "snack" replacement foods that are full of protien and won't crash your diet. But remember you still have to watch your calories. And as always WATER, WATER, and more WATER. Most try to not eat after 7, but I know that is hard because of schedules and life in general - I try to not eat an hour before I go to bed. By all means exercise is crucial - but it needs to be something you really enjoy doing or you won't do it. So far this year I have lost 35 pounds and have taken up Ballroom Dancing as exercise - I feel better than I have in years. You can do it - you just have to be determined. Good luck!
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched to a far more sedentary job and it has actually worked to my advantage because with a little extra downtime, I can peruse this site and find so many new, interesting, and beneficial things. This is the first time I've "dieted" in which I have not given up after 2 1/2-3 weeks. I wish you tons of luck and I'll say a little prayer to send some extra strength your way. You deserve this and you CAN do it!
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try changing the things you are eating throughout the day. Eat more fruits and vegitables and eat several small meals a day so you dont feel hungry. Drink lots of water. Feel free to add me as a friend, I log everyday. The support on MFP is amazing and having the motivation from them is very helpful!
  • kamaljitjackson
    Options
    Kim, yes, am in the same boat, but to have a nice distraction (something you can control) is to get yourself fit while being in this "dull" job. I cannot make headway with my superiors, so I decided that I was going to do something about "ME" and started MFP in July. I have lost 21 founds in a month and a 1/2; it is really motiviating and has given me the confidence to probably go back to school or think about what I really want to be when I grow up. It would be my pleasure to work together on this journey with you. KC