Hi, From the UK to Florida - Need some suggestions

Options
Hi, I'm about to come on holiday to Florida in a couple of weeks and don't want to undo all the hardwork so far, I know food will be my downfall so because we're mostly self catering I would love some supermarket staples for breakfast and lunches.

Things like...

Zero Fat Yoghurt (in the UK I love Shape Delights they've got lots of flavours and theyre thick not watery)
Cereal Bars for a snack to drop in my bag
Lunch things

Thanks so much :happy:

Replies

• Americanpeanut
    Options
    Hello! Enjoy Florida!! I'm an American living in the UK and I would suggest yoplait yogurt for brekkie (the whipped ones were always my favorite). Honestly, the supermarkets will have so many choices for cereal bars, it depends on your tastebuds. I would also try crackers (wheat thins or triscuits) for a lunch staple that will be nice but not spoil in the heat! Also Maybe apple sauce! Some brands will do snack pots that are super easy to tote around if you're out and about. But above all, Have Fun!!!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great thank you, love some more comments
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am also a Brit flying out to Miami next Thursday then driving to Key West and the Everglades for a week. Are there lots of vegetarian options around? I eat masses of natural yogurt at home but the (one and only time I came to the States) last time I came (NYC) the only yogurts I found had gelatine in. Whoop, whoop, very excited.:laugh:
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I lived in FL for a little while, fresh fruit and veggies are always available at any supermarket.

Try to find an Aldi's if you can, they're great around here and there :-)

Farmer's Markets are always a good bet too!
  • shelleycolton
    Options
    @katemateg - i'm so excited, i fly on Saturday 22nd; we off to orlando with my son George for a week and then down to the Keys and Everglades. Super exciting.

@Americanpeanu thanks I love to stock up on lots of fruit and veggies, will look out for a farmers market and Aldis thanks.

How about eating out, are theyre some better restaurants calories wise? i'm going to limit eating out to a few treats. Thanks,
  • shelleycolton
    Options
    Bumped, so i have a few more ideas from the lovely americans, thanks,
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I live in SW Florida, I'm sure you'll be fine at a regular grocery store, but we have some health food stores here that are great! Try getting to an Ada's or Whole foods

As far as eating out, lots of healthy options, especially if you are into eating fish. Most restaurants in our area have blackened fish or chicken thats grilled with a side of veggies & a salad
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Hi there,

I am also an American living in the UK - well now I am a dual citizen. I lived in Miami for about 7 months a few years ago and I lived at Publix. Publix is a food store that has an amazing deli area. You can get sushi, all kinds of salads, etc. Their fruit and veggie section is also amazing! As someone else noted, another good food chain is Whole Foods as they have many natural and high quality foods.

For yogurt, there are some all natural brands (cannot remember them but you will see them when in the section). Also look for the organic milks like Organic Valley.

Be careful at restaurants to ask for any salad dressings on the side and also things like cheese and bacon on salads. Read your menu carefully and ask for all these extras on the side and ask them to give you extra lettuce and veggies instead. It seems that restaurants LOVE to pile cheese and dressing on salads in the USA.

Try to eat as natural as possible - that's my biggest piece of advice. The US manufacturers put so much in the way of preservatives in foods like bread and pump up animals with steroids and antibiotics. You'll be 100% okay to eat these things for the short time you'll be there, but you'll probably notice in your digestion when you do.

Have a great trip :)
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    some delicious nonfat greek yogurt in the us is Chobani, and they come in all sorts of different flavors! I love them so much :love:
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My large supermarket HIDES the higher protein granola bars ( Kashi ) in the pharmacy ( chemist ?) area with the liquid diet and supplement drinks. Take your time and hunt thru the store for stuff you like.
  • shelleycolton
    Options
    Hi, everyone thanks for all the tips, its a great headstart for my holiday. Thank u :flowerforyou:
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

And Shelley have a fab trip :happy:
  • BanffJasper
    BanffJasper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dannon Greek non fat yogurt.
  • samantha_ashley
    Options
    you'll be able to get anything you need at Publix. i live in florida and i work at publix, so i may be a bit biased haha. there will be cereal bars on the cereal aisle, but there are also protein bars (lara bars, clif bars, zone bars, etc.) located in another aisle (usually the medicine aisle or the health foods section). in the dairy section, you can get yogurt or string cheese. the store brand yogurt is great, or chobani greek. produce has a large selection of grab and go parfaits, cut fruit, and salads. the deli is AMAZING but i'd recommend staying away unless you'd like a good cheat meal. the sandwiches are absolutely wonderful, just not the healthiest thing in the world. we also make sushi in the store, if you're into that sort of thing. i do all my shopping at publix, so i'm sure you'll find some useful things there. have fun!