coconut milk and coconut water

Options
2»

Replies

• Brengild
    Options
    I use it during and after a long ride(coconut water,I prefer unflavored). In place of gatorade type drinks, it replaces electrolytes. Dairy doesnt agree with me so I alternate coconut milk(in cartons) with almond milk. Whichever the store has.
  • sjhoward2012
    Options
    Hi. I have been taking GRACE coconut water with pulp for a few months now. I take in the morning and I find it gves me a energy boost. Not a huge one. Yes it has higher calorie count but no protein. You can take split it into two days. Hope this helps.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The main reason why people are adopting coconut is that it is mainly saturated fat, it contains significant amounts of lauric acid which supposedly doesn't create more bad cholesterol. Also, the fat is a medium-chain triglyceride which means that it absorbed and metabolized for energy more easily than other saturated fats which have long- chains. It's unclear to me what the impact of this is....but that's the reason why many claim it has strong health benefits.
  • dished555
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting good input - I'll just add one thing. I drink coconut water on long distance bike rides where I know I'll be exercising for more than an hour. I didn't like the taste at first either, but it's one of the few electrolyte replacement drinks I can use on the food plan I follow, so I gave it another try. Now I actually like it, and I think it definitely helps my endurance on bike rides.

I was in my doctor's office and picked up one of those health mags, and that's where I first read about coconut water as a natural sports drink. The article said you don't really deplete your electrolytes and potassium enough to worry about it unless you're working out over an hour. I get whichever kind is on sale and has no added sugar.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of coconut milk, I switched to almond because it was too watery for me, but I love coconut oil to cook with. High in healthy fats and tasty!