Always Hungry!

Options
Hi all,

I'm in about my third week of tracking, working out pretty hard, eating all my allowed calories plus a little extra plus eating my exercise calories but I'm hungry all the time!! I've even switched to protein shakes for breakfast to try and ease the cravings - any pointers in how to stop me feeling empty for these first few weeks?

Thanks,

T.

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and it looks pretty good to me.
    Some days if I'm really hungry I use shirataki noodles just as a filler . They're basically zero cal (depending on the brand)
    And very filling
  • beckssmith70
    Options
    Hi there, I see you have a protein shake for breakfast, and also have a chocolate milk, would it not better to eat something instead of the chocolate milk to help fill you in the morning?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You eat great healthy food. I'm going to suggest lowering your carbs to 40% of total and making sure you stick to lower processed carbs (which I think you do already).

You eat lots of fruit, which is easily digested with the sugar going straight into your blood stream. This causes an insulin spike to sequester those sugars into your cells, storing it as fat. This DROPS your blood sugar and makes you hungry because all the calories you just ate aren't accessible.

That's what they talk about when they talk about insulin spikes and food's glycemic index.

Anyway - bottom line: you eat lots of calories and get hungry.

If you eat food with a lower glycemic index - foods that take longer to digest like whole grains, beans. etc. - your blood sugar goes up more slowly and then is available for you to use. You are less hungry.

If you have been overweight a while and might have a touch of insulin resistance, this will make the problem worse.

Try that and see if that helps.

P.S. I find things like a few raw cashews, which have fat and are chewy but not too fast too digest make those hunger pangs go away until my next meal. Things like fruit or especially something like a granola bar or quick oats take away immediate hunger but I'm starving in an hour. Chocolate milk can be a disaster like that - all carbs and sugar.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Do you drink much water, this obviously helps to supress the appetite.
  • honeytee
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful! I use the soya milk in my protein shake at breakfast as I want to make sure I'm getting enough calcium because I don't drink cow's milk, plus its in a handy carton to take to work to mix it in the morning. I may try switching to water or standard soya milk. I drink LOTS of water - probably two litres a day. I am def going to try and replace some of the fruit and switch my sandwiches for salad...may keep my blood sugar more stable - fingers crossed!!

Thanks again :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    How did you calculate the number of calories that you are allotted? MFP seems to have a thing for giving just about everyone 1200 calories a day which unless you are teeny is not enough for about 80% of people here. You look like you are eating mainly good things so if you are hungry it's very likely you aren't getting enough food. Check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and also read the stickies at the top of this forum. Make sure you are eating enough - you should not be starving.
  • jrhartley
    jrhartley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find a boiled egg and wholegrain toast (un buttered) keeps me going pretty well and I have recently found Pukka Vanilla Chai tea which is caffeine free but contains cinnamon which really takes the edge off the hunger pangs!

I had a wholegrain bagel with smoked salmon on today for breakfast - not extremely low cal but not bad either and it kept me going so well that I didn't even want any lunch! I definitely reccommend bagels now! (wholegrain or seeded)

A few other low cal fillers I like are:-

Cuppa soups (Ainsley Harriot Hot and Sour are my fave!)
    Velvet Crunch or Snack a Jacks
    Krisp Rolls (you find them with the crackers)
    Frozen grapes (delicious and you wont need so many!)
    Amoy rice noodles (low cal and gluten free!)

And of course like someone else mentioned drink plenty of water so you don't mistake hunger for thirst!

Good Luck

xx
  • honeytee
    Options
    Thanks all, I have decided to up my calories by 200, replace my soya shake in the morning with a small bowl of muesli and replace some of my snacks with low gi snacks instead of fruit. Great advice everyone! :D
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've been doing this for a couple of years now and am coming up on my 2nd year of maintenance. :bigsmile:
    Since I started this journey, I have never felt deprived, that's mainly because I am almost constantly eating. :drinker:

Give this a try for one week and see how you do.
    In the mornings, eat a small amount of protein within 30 minutes of being up. I usuall have half a boiled egg or some shaved turkey.
    Drink lots of water. At least 8 eight ounce glasses a day. I average around 10. :drinker:

Have a good breakfast. I usually have the most calories for breakfast. Stay away from processed carbs. Have a little fruit if you want. Choose fruits that don't make your blood sugar spike...Apples are good, strawberries and blueberries are fantastic! :heart: Don't eat too many bananas as they have a lot of sugar. Eat whole grains and protein. This will keep you fuller longer. I take a whole egg and scramble it up, divide it in half and add a serving of egg whites. I cook it in a skillet with a squirt of Pam and pepper. Toast a whole grain English muffin or thin bun and WHAALAAH...A low calorie, healthy filling Breakfast is born! :bigsmile:

Fix a baggie full of mixed veggies to take to work with you. I do this every day. I get the munchies (a lot) and nothing satisfies better than crisp crunchy celery, radishes, peppers, cukes...yummy. I also some days have a little hummus with my veggies. Hummmus is filling and it is very, very good for you. There are all kinds of flavors too. Also, I use PB2 (powdered peanut butter that you mix with water) it is low in calories and is very yummy with veggies. Oh, go easy on carrots...again, lots of sugar.
    I sometimes throw in a couple of cubes of pepperjack cheese or a wedge of laughing cow cheese.

After munching on veggies, hummus or PB2, I am not starving for lunch and a light yogurt or a salad , maybe half a turkey sandwich will do. I always include a little protein though. Shaved turkey, a slice of turkey bacon or maybe the rest of the hard boiled egg from the morning.

Back at work, I still have veggies left and finish those between lunch and quitting time.

I have literally eaten all day long. For supper, I simply am not starving and I usually have something light again. I have a lot of recipes for things like pizza, tacos, nachos...yep, I really do. :blushing: I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures and soup...

Remember, DRINK WATER ALL DAY LONG AS WELL! :drinker:

Good luck and let me know how this works for you if you decide to try it.

Keep on keepin' on...
    :flowerforyou:
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I eat constantly and usually go a little over my calorie goal. the key is just to not eat too much at one time. if you spread out your meals you will boost your metabolism and the result of that is going through a lot of food in one day. I try to eat a bigger breakfast and let my meals get smaller throughout the day. Also, if you are going to go over your calories, let it be with the protein.
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm in about my third week of tracking, working out pretty hard, eating all my allowed calories plus a little extra plus eating my exercise calories but I'm hungry all the time!! I've even switched to protein shakes for breakfast to try and ease the cravings - any pointers in how to stop me feeling empty for these first few weeks?

Thanks,

T.

Just taking a glance at your diary, I don't think you're eating enough. Check out this calculator for how much you should actually be eating to lose: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.