Another try at losing weight....help please someone!!

Options
13»

Replies

• xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I joined just over a week ago, and I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I'm a freelance graphic designer, so spend most of my time at a computer and end up eating whatever's quick and easy to make. It's hard to get motivated when you're doing it alone, but MFP really helps, I often flick through the 'Success Stories' bit on the Message Board when I'm feeling a little low, there's always posts that make me think 'WOW - I can do that if I tried!'

It takes time, but with a sensible diet and exercise (something you enjoy doing, I enjoy cycling) the weight will soon come off :) Good luck!
  • StephanieJoy24
    Options
    Well, I started this week almost a month ago now. I've lost three pounds, which doesn't sound like much, but in my own reality, it's amazing. The most i've lost in years! -_- The people you get ot know on this site are all really nice and optimistic towards you and anyone they are friends with. I sent you a request to be friends. I'm always looking for more support, and love to give back in return!!
  • hazleyes5
    Options
    Hi , 2 years ago I was in the same boat but one day I was watching a show and this fitness trainer was on the show people we dont need an expensive gym to workout ,, she said while watching your favorite show , in comercials do some chair lifts (sitting and with your arms lifting yourself off up and down ) good for arms thats 2 min per comercial , next comercial do squats , and change it up or just do one per show lol ,,, I thought this was funny but true ,,, while doing dishes, cleaning ect. make something up get creative.
    my example ,,,I work at a desk all day ... but I took this show and went creative with it ,,, we have 20 stairs at work I used them ,, at break I went for a walk 15 min , thats 30 min a day . the apts whered I lived at the time had a swimming pool I swam alot. at bathroom breaks I was doing triangle wall push ups , squats and later swimming did this for a year ,,, lost 27 lbs and lost 3 inches off my waist , and my arms I'm still working on :) im 20 lbs away from my goal now, also at my desk I fill my drawer with healthy snacks, wheat thins , oatmeal , protien bars, ate salad at lunch ( went to Costco) ,,, stock up on fruits and veggies and put in the fridge at work or just bring them to work drink lots of water .
    Right now I'm logging my food intake and its helped me better , and execising still , I found a church that is giving free Zumba classes 2X a week i'm doing that , my family like cousins were asking me how I did it I told them and they laughed at me ,,, oh well but look who is not struggling on my wieght but they are .... so do what you can through out the day you can do it ,,, if I can you can too ... add me if you would like to see what I eat because sometimes its not all good but I workout .... and you will get used to this pretty soon and soon will only be like routine .... good luck :)
  • naneenya
    naneenya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely understand.. I have gained over 10 pounds this summer alone (after doing SO WELL the full year prior) and I am now getting back on track. IT IS HARD to go back to eating healthy and exercising continuously.

The only advice I can give (and what I'm trying to do myself) is this: Fake it 'till you make it!

Do I want to eat a salad for lunch instead of a cheeseburger? No! Cheeseburgers are delicious! But I'm going to fake it. So I eat the salad. Eventually, the healthy lifestyle will once again become a habit and I can FINALLY get to where I want to be.

Best of luck to you!
  • GenuineHeather
    Options
    Exercise is the key to everything. When you exercise, your body releases endorphines. Usually when we snack, we're not really craving food, but endorphines. In a nutshell, we're trying to FEEL good. The endorphines released during exercise are much higher quality than those we get from snacking, and they last much longer. If you exercise early at the beginning of your day, you are far less likely to resort to unwanted food. You'll feel good all day.

Don't feel confined to only exercising in the gym. Even walking is great exercise for burning calories. When I started getting back in shape a few months ago, I started out walking. I would walk (briskly) for about 45 minutes to an hour, every day. I got an iPod nano with built-in pedometer, which made it really easy to see how I was doing (and provided great distraction as I walked). Gradually, I became fit enough to walk longer and faster, and eventually felt like I was ready for more challenging exercises. I actually started running, for the first time in my life. I couldn't run far at first, in fact I could barely go a block. But I kept trying, until I found myself running 5k! I never imagined I could do that. It just takes a little persistence.

The more you do, the more you are capable of doing. Try finding exercises you really enjoy. The larger your "exercise palette" the less likely you'll be to get bored. Exercise should be something you look forward to. It can be hard to get moving, but once you're moving it will feel GREAT.

Once I was in a little better shape, I got back to inline skating (which I used to love, but didn't feel fit enough for). Then I started doing some calisthenics for strength and flexibility. I started using an elliptical machine I'd dragged in from the trash one night. I got back into martial arts that I used to practice years ago. I bought a basketball to shoot hoops at a nearby park. I didn't stop walking, but my walks became more adventurous with my newfound fitness. I enjoyed exploring new places and tracking my progress. All this variety makes it easy to burn calories every day.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." ~ Lau Tzu

When we're counting calories with a program like MyFitnessPal, we gain an appreciation for just how hard we have to work for those calories. For example, when I just spent 30 grueling minutes on the elliptical to burn 500 calories, I don't want to blow all that work by eating something foolish. So instead of that chocolate bar, I may opt for a nutrition bar that's packed with protein and nutrients my body needs. It's all about choices.

It's very important NOT to starve yourself by not eating. You must eat, and if you start feeling really hungry you're likely to binge. Exercise will help you make smarter choices, because your body will naturally crave the nutrients it requires. And if you get your endorphines from exercise, you won't be craving them from food. You may still want to eat something naughty once in a while, but if you're burning calories with exercise every day, you CAN. That's even more incentive!

What do you do on your breaks at work? If possible, try going for a brisk walk, climbing stairs, or whatever else you can think of to get moving. If you snack, try picking higher quality snacks, like fruits or Luna bars.

Naturally, be sure to record ALL your food and exercise in your MyFitnessPal. Even when you cheat and don't want to admit it. It's really important, because tracking your calories makes all the difference. When you can visually see where you're going wrong, it's much easier to make adjustments. I couldn't have done so well over the past few months without it. It will also help you make sure you're getting the nutrition you need to maintain a more active lifestyle.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. I hope it helps! :-)

~ Heather
  • oscarvalles
    Options
    I know you have a small amount of time until the wedding so here are a couple of things you can implement into your daily routine that will permit you to eat all day, if you have the insatiable need to.

1.) Replace the snack foods that you eat with green vegetables. Some examples are:
    a.) Celery Sticks
    b.) Spinach with a drizzle of light olive oil and roasted garlic
    c.) cucumber, lime (optional lightly salted)
    d.) Juice extract from Kale, Green Apple, Celery

If you consume fruit, only do so in the morning and try to limit it to plums, kiwis or papaya, then no more fruits or sugary snacks of any kind after 9:30 am.

Continue to eat as you regularly would and eliminate breads that are not whole wheat and eliminate all sugars. Including foods that contain sugar like BBQ sauce or coconut curry sauce.

Also continue your regular exercise routine, and be sure you make a solid effort every time. Your body will begin getting stronger and as time passes you will need to push harder.

This plan does a few things for you, it will supplement your nutrition considerably by introducing fiber in the whole foods that will help your digestive system and metabolism. Eliminating sugars and starches will make your body shift to burning your stored fats throughout the day and during your exercise. I've personally lost more weight than I am reporting and it seems to be permanent. I've had days where I've over indulged and I still enjoy the occasional junk food. Good luck. You can friend me and I'll be glad to check in on you and motivate you.

Also, now that you are on MFP, use this tool. It is awesome and it's fun. Calorie counting becomes a fun game after a while.
  • brucemily
    brucemily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Where do you work? I have a rule that I follow that has worked for me it may work for you. I only eat what I bring to work. That way I can controll what I eat. I am tied down to a desk in a office. I do go out for lunch and usually I try to stay on target. I live in the USA and do not know what a stone is? If you have not made your mind to that is a big part of the plan that keeps me motivated. You need to find what works for you. Health issues were my biggest motivation. My knees hurt so bad I could hardly walk. Now that I am down 20 lbs. I am not in that much pain. I had lost 12 lbs before I found this web site. Good luck in making the choices that are correct for you.

I totally agree with this - I too work a boring desk job. I literally bring my breakfast and lunch and snacks with me every day. It was a bit of a hassle to get into that routine but it has helped a LOT. Also, try breaking your meals down into smaller portion sizes and eat more frequently (I eat, on average, every two hours).

And start small with exercise. I started by walking to/from work every day (and not power walking, just normal walking). It's about a mile and half from my office to home - I'm lucky that I get to walk, I know - so right there that gives me 3 miles of walking per day, without breaking a sweat.

It's all in the details - big sweeping, "I Will Change My Life" diets don't work. Just focus on small, manageable consistent change and you'll get there. Also, these message boards have been a beacon of hope for me in times when I just wanted to give it all up. Feel free to add me - and best of luck!!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of opinions on what works here but I am convinced many people are indeed losing weight but they don't know what sort of weight they are losing. It could be fat, muscle or water.

What you will have to decide is what exactly do you want to do? If you want a quick fix, just stop eating, if you want a lifelong fix, eat well, exercise and especially, work your muscles.

If you want the latter I suggest talking to the gals in the Eat More to Weigh less group or anyone that believes fueling the body enough to maintain lean muscle and lose fat. Friend me if you are interested in a long-lasting lifestyle, the rest of your life. I don't even use a gym or any equipment. So I'm talking free. If you like gyms etc. there are plenty of gals using those and doing great as well.

Nutrition help can come from reading and looking at winners diaries.

denise:drinker: :drinker:

PS and keep asking if you can't figure things out, someone will always help, just make sure it aligns with what "you" want out of this:wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    1. You are your own gym. You do not have to join a gym to workout! Most people starting out do not feel comfortable in a gym. Especially if you are over weight and do not feel good about yourself. I highly recommend" You are your own Gym" by Mark Lauren, you can download it to your phone and always have it with you!
    2. Food is filling a void in your life, do a life check, see what is missing. Food is easy comfort but long term it is pain.
    3. Accountability is key!!! You eat it you write it down.
    4. Desk jobs are boring I have one!! Get off your butt and take a walk on your breaks and lunches.

I live by these 4 rules. But here are a few ways to help you with the eating. Make a meal plan and stick to it. When you go to the grocery only buy what is on your list. If you don't have it in the house you will not eat. Pack your lunches for work. and stick to drinking water with a splash of lemon in it. Diet sodas fool your body and actually make you hungrier. Portion is control!! Stick to your calories and your portion sizes!! You can do anything you put your mind to!! Honey, I have been were you are and I don't ever want to go back. I was depressed, on blood pressure medicine, didn't want to leave or put real clothes on because I hated myself. Love yourself again, do this for you!!!

^This, and there is a group here called Hooya, Give me more, which came from Mark's book. You are very welcome to join:)
  • sharpi66
    sharpi66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new here too. I agree with a lot of what people are saying here. I have also struggled with my weight most of my life and especially now in my mid 40's. I have tried WW and that worked well for me. I dont want to spend the money any more so I was so happy to find this site. It has everything here that I need. I think it is very important to find a support group going through similar struggles to keep people motivated and share tips. My struggle is mostly finding time to exercise. I am not a morning person, so getting up in the morning wont work for me. I try to do it in the evenings after dinner. And weekends are bad for me with snacking and eating the wrong things. I find after dinner I am not very hungry so snacking at night hasnt been a problem. I try to eat filling foods for dinner and a healthy choice fudge bar for dessert seems to satisfy my sweet tooth. Also drinking water helps me too. Again, I am glad I found this site. Hope we can all help each other along!
  • AbigailPhillips
    Options
    Hello I lost 56 pounds- Email me at AbigailPhillips1995@hotmail.com

I'd happily help