Big from Houston!

Options
Hey folks!

I'm big.

No, seriously. For my height, I'm a big guy, but honestly, that's never bothered me. I spent years at home, keeping at a weight of 220, and slowly working to draw it to my goal, 200 lbs. Why not go further? Well, as I said, I'm not bothered being big, in fact I enjoy being a bit big. However, things took a drastic turn last year, and that is what brought me here.

Florida's got a rather unhealthy job market for an Infotech Technican like myself. Circumstances there got bad enough, that it was time to leave. During the packing up, and deciding to move to Houston, I found myself in a terrible situation of having to leave the stationary bike I loved behind. No biggie, I can get a new one once I'm settled. A few months later, no bike, but the job market here was far more forgiving. However, the real kicker was that Houston was great for -food-, and let me tell you, I enjoy well cooked meals.

Now 8 months later...

I had finally gotten my hands on a stationary bike again, smaller than I had, but still worked just how I needed it, and honestly, living in apartment, small and compact is not neccessarily a bad thing. Deciding to finally pick up where I left off, I got a scale, thinking my time had probably added a little weight, it happens, and I have been off exercising for several mon-....-265 POUNDS-?!

Hello, reality.

To my shock, I had bloated up over 45 pounds in just 8 months. Rubbing my head in dissappointment, I looked to my new bike and was telling myself I got some work to do. For several months, I tried to keep a regemine like I did before. 30 minutes, 5 days a week, but I wasn't getting past loosing 5 pounds at most. It was time to see a proffessional. Honestly, what I learned there was a lot of what I already knew, I am a firm believer that the only true weight loss comes from good eating and exercise, so when I was told I needed adjustments I wasn't surprised, but WHAT adjustments I was told about surprised me. My endulgance on good cooking, and boy does Houston have a lot of it, was also my biggest downfall, sometimes consuming twice in calories what I should normally be doing. So, armed with a calorie allotment, suggestions on exercise, and now a full range of advice, its time to get -serious-!

So here I am, 260 pounds, with a goal to be 200 by the same time next year. A friend of mien suggested the site, and so far, its easier to maintain than a standard notebook, granted, that could be that I'm just a Computer nut.

So hello everyone, good to meet you, and lets get this show on the road!

Replies

• wfriddell
    Options
    Welcome,

I have been there, and i am in the same bracket as you. Add me and we will succeed, no doubts about that. Stay active and document EVERYTHING that you intake (the bar scanner is really good tool to use). You keep on track with this and the pounds will shed.

I have currently divided my workout week to 3 days of cardio followed by 2 days of weights.
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, I would wish you the 'best of luck' but that saying always irritates me when discussing weight loss because it has nothing to do with luck! It is about work.....work = results! Simple as that ... no work = negative results , hard work = positive results. So I should say that I wish you the wisdom to know which road of work to follow and the strength to navigate it while all the Houston food is so very prevalent, in your face, and calling!

The stationary bike is a great start! If it worked before, it will work again! However, you will not be able to pedal your way out of an extreme calorie intake so you are going to have to focus on the food aspect. The few tricks that I have found work for me is this.. 1) take a different route to and from work on those days that temptation has more control than it should. Then you can avoid seeing those places that are detrimental to your goals. 2) Remember that those restaurants were there last week and will be there next week so there is no need to consume in excess at any visit because it is always there. 3) Keep healthy foods in stock at home and pre-washed ready to eat in snack size calorie controlled quantity. Keep them at eye level in the fridge and pantry. This way, they are the first thing your eyes see when searching for food. 4) Try a new and healthy recipe at least once a week to keep things interesting. 5) Keep food on your person at all times so that you are not forced to visit vending machines or restaurants when you find yourself off schedule and too hungry. I like the Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar and always have one in my purse. 6) Most important.....keep a schedule! Schedule in your workouts like you would any other appointment and hold it to the same importance!! Do not accept excuses! You wouldn't take a coworker saying "sorry, didn't get that done because I just didn't feel up to" or a physician saying "sorry, didn't get to reading your complaint today because I wanted to watch the tv in my office instead". So, do not accept any of those excuses for your health either!! 7) BELIEVE IN YOUR SUCCESS AND SPEAK IN TERMS OF ATTAINED ACCOMPLISHMENTS NOT FUTURE ONES! You ARE winning this battle with weight. You ARE living a healthy lifestyle....etc....

Hope this helps! You can do this!!!

~Sandi
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is about work.....work = results! Simple as that ... no work = negative results , hard work = positive results. The stationary bike is a great start! If it worked before, it will work again!
    Agreed 100%. There's no suppliment or diet pill. Never is, and highly likely never will. Exercise and proper diet are the only solution to weight loss and management.
    1) take a different route to and from work on those days that temptation has more control than it should. Then you can avoid seeing those places that are detrimental to your goals.
    Well that's easy, I work out in the back end of nowhere. Houston's big, and surprisingly, I don't see a single fast food resturaunt too and from work. The ONLY place on my route is a McDonalds that sits right next to where I drive in to go home. (Bane of me sometimes I swear). Though ever since they added the calroie counts on their menu ... the reality check sent me packing and saving $5.
    4) Try a new and healthy recipe at least once a week to keep things interesting.
    This is where some of my trouble began. living on my own, I tended to learn new recepies a lot. Lotta stuff I never kept check on the nutrient facts, shrugging it off going "Eh, veggies, tomatoes, and bits here and there, I'll be fine." I'm not bothered, though, even if it ends up worse for you than you planned, its no deal breaker. Success is measured by if you pick yourself up after a failure.
    5) Keep food on your person at all times so that you are not forced to visit vending machines or restaurants when you find yourself off schedule and too hungry. I like the Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar and always have one in my purse.
    Not a bad idea, I usually keep 2-3 apples in the lunch to snack on during the day, though maybe some variety will help (along the huge liter bottle of water I have at my desk, laced in Crystal light).
    6) Most important.....keep a schedule! Schedule in your workouts like you would any other appointment and hold it to the same importance!! Do not accept excuses! You wouldn't take a coworker saying "sorry, didn't get that done because I just didn't feel up to" or a physician saying "sorry, didn't get to reading your complaint today because I wanted to watch the tv in my office instead". So, do not accept any of those excuses for your health either!!
    Up at 5:45 AM, Breakfast at 6AM, Snack at 10AM, Lunch at 12:30 PM, Pre-Exercise snack at 3:30 PM, Exercise at 4:30, Post-exersice drink at 5:00PM, Dinner by 7:00 - 7:30. Enough said. :P
    7) BELIEVE IN YOUR SUCCESS AND SPEAK IN TERMS OF ATTAINED ACCOMPLISHMENTS NOT FUTURE ONES! You ARE winning this battle with weight. You ARE living a healthy lifestyle....etc....
    A quote to live by, and story of my life.

Thanks for the advice, I'll put it to good use.
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Currently my favorite recipe is this one http://weelicious.com/2010/06/15/baked-zucchini-coins/ don't be deterred by the website as I found it searching healthier alternatives for my kids. This was surprisingly easy to make and I made some homemade marinara to go with it. Tasted like mozzarella sticks to me and even my 'meat and potatoes' hubby was won over!

Sounds like you have all your bases covered!! I beleive the majority of success is the ability to have planned for it..... :wink:
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Might try that. My cheap, easy, and favorite meal so far has been a solid Santa Fe Chili.
    http://projects.eveningedge.com/recipes/santa-fe-chili/
    Good nutrients, right ingredients, and the calorie isn't bad for what you need!
  • amcmullan
    amcmullan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is the first step and you will do it if you really want it! I know i do! :smile: