LADIES!! i need your opinion

Options
looking for birth control, mainly i am concerned about weight gain....any recommendations would be great

thanks

Replies

• mevongkunthong
    mevongkunthong Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have had kids or been pregnant, I would suggest Merina. I have not had any problems, and they are good for 5 years. no pills to take. The only sucky part... having it placed. But once it is in it is great!!!
  • taneeshab
    Options
    Well there are different birth control out there (which you should talk to your doctor about) it really depends on you; some birth control willl have others gain weight and you may not gain any weight and on the other hand; some birthcontrol doesnt cause weight gain but u may gain weight from the BC.

These is really a heatlh question that you should consult over with your doctor. I have been on about 5 different BC and had to get off one and get on another due to different reason. my doctor and I finally agreed to go with a new chewable BC that suited all my needs and concerns.

Hope you see a doctor to get the Pro's and Cons of BC to use for yourself. GOOD LUCK
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there. I always did natural family planning and used condoms when I was fertile and wanted to have sex. We didn't get pregnant until we were ready to get pregnant. All of the pills, patches, implants have major risks. I would definately look into ALL the risks to the birth control of your choice....and look beyond the risk of weight gain.
  • scorpiongirl9000
    Options
    I have been using the Paragard IUD for the past 10 months and I haven't had any problems. It is good for 10 years. The only thing is when you have it placed it is a bit uncomfortable but it doesn't last to long. I haven't had any problems with weight gain while using this. I was on the pill for about 5 years and I gained alot of weight while on it and it took me almost 3 years after I stopped taking it to get prego. Hope you find one that works best for you.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    I have had major luck with Cryselle... its the only one I will ever use!!
  • halielilith
    Options
    I've been on Seasonale for over 5 years...no weight gain from the pils, and only 4 periods a year is wonderful!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think my pills (I've taken both variations of Yaz/Yazmin and Orthocept) caused me to gain weight, but I don't think that it has slowed down my weight loss.
  • AshBear
    Options
    condoms :)
    easier for me to not have something to blame weight gain on. lol
  • shanli
    shanli Posts: 19
    Options
    If you have had kids or been pregnant, I would suggest Merina. I have not had any problems, and they are good for 5 years. no pills to take. The only sucky part... having it placed. But once it is in it is great!!!
    I LOVE the Merina! and yes, it is a little uncomfortable while being placed. As much as I recommend it, I do feel the need to say talk to your doctor about your options and what may be best for you.
  • MarshJulie1989
    Options
    Honestly, the hormones in birth control affect every woman differently. The good news is that most weight gain is at five lbs at the most, and it shouldn't happen at all if you just watch what you eat and exercise.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thank Josh I don't have this problem anymore :) I didn't know it was so complicated!!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Paragard IUD for the past 10 months and I haven't had any problems. It is good for 10 years. The only thing is when you have it placed it is a bit uncomfortable but it doesn't last to long. I haven't had any problems with weight gain while using this. I was on the pill for about 5 years and I gained alot of weight while on it and it took me almost 3 years after I stopped taking it to get prego. Hope you find one that works best for you.

I have Paragard also. I LOVE it! Sooo much better than any of the pills out there and it lasts for 10 years!
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Two years ago my GYN gave me the NuvaRing....changed my life!!!! I was already having weight issues and the pill just added to the problem. I also like the NuvaRing b/c it doesnt have to go through your digestive system (so no tummy troubles), its non-surgical, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take it (like the pill).
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    IUDs are good options - Mirena has the same hormones as most BC, but Paragard is non-hormonal so it won't cause hormonal weight gain.

I've tried a variety of hormonal BC - I liked microgestin (a generic) and the Nuva Ring best from the hormonal standpoint, but the Nuva Ring takes some getting used to, and can be uncomfortable. My first pill was Seasonique, and I didn't notice much weight gain on it. I liked not having frequent periods, also. The worst were LoEstrin 24 and Yaz, because of weight gain, moodiness, and amenhorrea.

Keep in mind that every person reacts differently to every pill. My best friend loves being on Yaz because even though it made me really moody, it does the opposite for her. Be prepared to call your doctor and ask for a different prescription because you will know when a pill doesn't work for you, and you shouldn't take one that makes you feel bad.