2.5 miles in 25 minutes

Options
Is this on the slow side? I dont know how to get faster and even this was tough for me to finish has to stop like once or twice

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    No, it's not too slow. You're faster than me LOL. That's a 10 minute mile. Not fast, but not slow either. Perfectly respectable. If you want to get faster, just keep running. Gradually increase your distance. The speed will come. If you look at my profile, you can see my race results and my speed increasing. I'm not doing anything specific to work on speed. Just more running and am now training for a 10K.
  • pfradd
    pfradd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well your faster than me I do 14 minutes a mile, so I think your doing great! Try going further than faster.
    Used to do 1 mile thought I was going to drop I go a little further each time just past 8 mile mark.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's slow. Depending on the hills or incline I do anywhere from 11.30 - 12 min mile.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself having to take walking breaks you should actually try to run slower.

I'm going to guess that you're relatively new to running. Your initial goal should be endurance, speed will follow in its own time. (BTW - I've been running for about 5 years now and most of my training runs are at 10 min miles or slower)
  • Bull2707
    Options
    Not slow at all. There are a couple of ways to improve. I am doing them right now since I am getting back into physical shape and running due to an collision. One: is interval training. If you are running a track, sprint the long ways and walk the short turns. Another is sprint 15-30 sec and walk one min. What I also like to do is run hills and ensure you are getting rest. You will build up to it.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Its an excellent pace if it is a pace where you could occasionally have a conversation if a running buddy was besides you. If not, I would slow down a bit. What's a good pace for me or anyone else on this forum does not mean it would be good for you.
  • musicmint
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Yes I do have to stop... so maybe I should slow down seeing as it would hurt my form probably as well.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice given here already, so I'll merely add that "fast" and "slow" are relative terms that you should ONLY compare to your own performance. As with every doggone opinion offered here on MFP forums, you will see every possible response, as people give opinions based on their own performance or experience.

The fact that you are running regularly is far more important than what your speed is. Myself, I do enjoy the challenge of trying to increase my speed, so I do understand that desire...but just keep in mind that you're already speeding toward better fitness with every run! :)

4903263_961.jpg
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have always been a mid to back of packer. Whatever, sometimes there is a good view there! ;o)

However, i have NEVER had another runner mock me or downplay my efforts. I have had frontrunners run by on their way back thru a looped course and give ME encouraging words. My 10mm may not be setting landspeed records, but I lap EVERYONE on the couch.
  • talithasut
    talithasut Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty good to me! I ran only 2 miles this morning in about 27 minutes. Great job. If you're having to stop and walk some I would slow it down a little and go for distance instead of speed.
  • musicmint
    Options
    Yeah my manager was the one that actually made fun of the fact that one day I ran 2.5 mils in 30 minutes...but whatever you all are right I am lapping the couch potatoes!!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Your manager is not wise. Keep at it. mph is relative. Not knowing how long you have been running or your base, it is very possible you can improve. Howeevr, it not how far or fast you go, it is how far you have came. Stay healthy
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Slow down and build up your endurance. Indeed, the speed will follow later.
  • megabit2k
    Options
    2.5 miles is more than I can do. Who cares about the time as long as you are working at it. If you are sweating, breathing, and your heart is working at a good pace then GREAT JOB.
  • musicmint
    Options
    2.5 miles is more than I can do. Who cares about the time as long as you are working at it. If you are sweating, breathing, and your heart is working at a good pace then GREAT JOB.

Awesome! thanks for the encouragement because I keep trying to run 2.5 miles in 25 minutes without stopping and I stopped like 3 times for a few seconds...and I heard it is bad to do that
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    People spend a year of more to get their first sub-30 5K. You're doing fine. As others have said, speed is all relative. Your pace is quite slow next to mine, but I've been working hard on this for almost 2 years, and still mine is pretty slow next to a lot of other people. It may sound unintuitive, but one way to speed up is to slow down. Run at a pace you can maintain longer, and then increase your distance over time. You'll find that you can maintain a faster pace on shorter distances when you've built up endurance on long distances.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Awesome! thanks for the encouragement because I keep trying to run 2.5 miles in 25 minutes without stopping and I stopped like 3 times for a few seconds...and I heard it is bad to do that

Nothing wrong with stopping to take a little break. Your heart rate is still up (probably too high, hence your need to take a break), so you are getting the benefit. To remove the need to take that break, try to do the entire run just a little slower.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    "Fast" is relative to your weight and training level.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great for starting out! I agree with a lot of the comments--keep your speed slow and try to increase your distance. If you have to take breaks, then that's fine. You'll gradually increase your ability to keep running for longer. Also, intervals are great for increasing speed. I dropped my 5k time from 25:10 to 23:17 in 4 months by adding speed work. Best of luck to you!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it may be slow for some-fast for others. Have you looked into Couch2 5K? Its an excellent program for beginner runners.