Treadmill/Running Machine?

Options
Hi all,

I've been searching the exercise database and I'm probably being blind but I can't find a running machine/treadmill.
There is a stair treadmill which I could use but I'm worried the calories burnt will be different.

Can anybody tell me what they out for when they use a running machine/treadmill?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just use running and whatever pace you were going.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You could log it as walking/jogging @ the speed you were going on the treadmill
  • KCCarpet1
    KCCarpet1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I am new and I have a question. Should I go by the net calories even after I workout? Dosnt it defeat the purpose If I work out and then get to eat more because of the calories I lost? Or is that just worked into the system somehow?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your net calories should be as close to your goal as possible at the end of the day.

The amount of exercise you SAY you'll do isn't factored into your calorie goal. It's only factored after you do it and log it.
  • mommypenney
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'll do it by pace. I just presumed a treadmill would be one of the first things to go on here?

Thanks again x
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well I am new and I have a question. Should I go by the net calories even after I workout? Dosnt it defeat the purpose If I work out and then get to eat more because of the calories I lost? Or is that just worked into the system somehow?
    Answers will differ on this.
    One thing to keep in mind is that most machines, heart rate monitors and MFP seem to estimate the work out calories a little high. Most folks here do not eat back all of their exercise calories.
    Current wisdom says that if you have a lot of weight to lose you should shoot for about 2 lbs a week. That is what MFP will set you up for.
    If you diet and do not exercise you will still lose weight.
    If you exercise eat back your calories you will lose weight at about the same rate.
    If you use exercise to get you more calories so you can eat more than you are normal. I found that for a while I had to do this to feel full for a few months I really felt that I needed about 400 calories more than they were suggesting to FEEL satisfied. So I did about 700 calories of exercise and eat back some of it.
    If you exercise and do not eat back your calories you might find it very hard on your body to lose weight at that rate. Lot of people will panic about a “Starvation mode” that will slow your weight lose if you try to drop to much weight to fast by calorie deficit only.
    Now comes the other part about exercise.
    If you do not exercise while you diet you may lose muscle mass faster than if you do not exercise. If you do not use it your body does not support it.
    I believe that exercising as you diet will make you healthier as you lose weight. For many on this site it is about a life style change as well as dropping a few (hundred ) pounds.
  • KCCarpet1
    KCCarpet1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that detailed answer. Thank you
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I entered my own treadmill parameters, e.g. treadmill/speed/gradient/distance.
    Initially I used this site to gauge my calories: http://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/
    Now I use android app and heart rate monitor.