Supplements....Do they help?

Options
I was wondering if anyone is taking anytime of supplements that aid with weight loss? I was wondering about supplements that suppresse the appetite, curb cravings and/or burn fat? I have considered taking 5HTP and also apple cider vinegar tablets. Does anyone have any experience in taking either of these supplements and do they help at all?

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I take DHEA, alapha lipoic acid, garlic extract and green tea extract in the mornings to help improve metabolism. DHEA won't do anything if you are under 40 years old, but the others will help everyone boost their metabolism without side effects.

I also take whey protein everyday to insure that I'm getting enough protein in my diet to add muscle.

In the evenings I take meletonin 3mg and Calcium/mag/zinc/D3. These aren't to aid weight loss directly, but the body will utilize the calcium during sleep and the melatonin helps me get enough sleep every night. If you aren't getting enough sleep weight loss is going to be very difficult.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot on this. There are some supplements that can have a very minor impact to improve weight loss. However, it's so small (like an extra 3 pounds a year) that it's not worth the cost. Do some research. Here's what the Mayo Clinic website says:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

No magic bullet
    Don't look to dietary supplements for help in burning calories or weight loss. Products that claim to speed up your metabolism are often more hype than help, and some may cause undesirable or even dangerous side effects. Dietary supplement manufacturers aren't required by the Food and Drug Administration to prove that their products are safe or effective, so view these products with caution and skepticism, and always let your doctors know about any supplements you take.

There's no magical way to lose weight. It comes down to physical activity and diet. Take in fewer calories than you burn, and you lose weight. But if you're worried about your metabolism or you can't seem to lose excess weight despite diet and exercise, talk to your doctor.