Today I Juiced . . . Now What Do I Do With The Mash?

Options
takerbrat
takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
I modified an applesauce oatmeal cookie recipe to use the mash from juicing 2 lemons, 1 orange, 1 lime, 2 carrots and 1 cucumber (peel and pith removed on all fruit):
Ingredients
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or "mash" from juicer
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat
• 1 1/2 cups steel-cut or large flake rolled oats
• 1 cup dried fruit of choice (raisins, cranberries, apricots, etc.)
• 1/3 cup chopped nuts of choice (walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs. Use an electric mixer or mix with a spoon.
3. Stir the applesauce into the mixture and then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
4. On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop rounded tablespoons of dough about two inches apart. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookie center does not leave indentation when touched. Remove and cool the cookies on a wire rack before serving.
Makes about 24 cookies
Calories - 131; Carbs - 19g; Fat - 5g; Protein - 2g; Sugar - 12g

Replies

• takerbrat
    Options
    I bought some very small grapes from Costco because they looked so cute . . . little did I know what a pain in the butt they would be to eat so I juiced them. Here's what I did with the mash:

Mashup Bran Muffins
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup liquid honey
    1 - 1 1/2 cups mash (I juiced black corinth grapes)
    1 cup buttermilk (or add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a 1 cup measure and fill with milk, let stand)
    1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup chopped nuts of choice, optional (I used flax seeds)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with muffin papers.
    2. Whisk eggs, honey and mash in a medium bowl until smooth; add buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
    3. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in nuts, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full).
    4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. For a special treat fill muffin cups half full of batter and then place a 1/2 tsp. of your favourite jam in each cup before filling with batter - bake as above.
    Makes 21 muffins.
    Calories - 99; Carbs - 14g; Fat - 4g; Protein - 3g; Sugar - 4g
  • shanemwhite
    Options
    Compost the mash -- it's great for garden/landscape soil!
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Compost the mash -- it's great for garden/landscape soil!

:smile:
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I never thought of using the mash to bake cookies. I can't wait to try your recipes! Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • takerbrat
    Options
    This morning I juiced 3 apples (peeled and cored), 1 orange (peel and pith removed), 1 cup mixed berries (blueberry, strawberry, cherry) and a large cucumber (peeled). With the mash I made breakfast bars for my family:

Mashup Breakfast Bars

Mash filling -
    1 to 1 - 1/2 cups fruit mash from juicer
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Breakfast bar base -
    1-1/2 cups large flake or steel cut oats
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup walnut pieces
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    Directions
    1. preheat oven to 350º degrees
    2. combine mash, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
    3. combine oats, flour, sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in a food processor; process until oats and walnuts are finely ground. Add oil and egg; stir to combine.
    4. press half of the crumb mixture evenly on bottom of a 9-inch square pan. Spread mash filling evenly over crumbs. Top with remaining crumbs and bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan. Cut into 12 bars.

Calories - 228; Carbs - 27g; Fat - 11g; Protein - 4g; Sugar - 14g
  • roman109
    Options
    Bump