Popcorn. Calorie count

Options
Why is it rocket science to read a micro waveable bag of popcorn? Figuring out the calories is so hard. Just put how many calories are in a popped bag..how hard is tha?. My "snack" ended up being 270 calories (1/2 bag popped) while my hubby told me there was 80 cal. This is the 2nd bag I have been screwed on. Last one was Smart Balance. Tonight is Pop Secret

Replies

• missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!!!!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    HMMMM... I usually go for the 100 calorie bags... that way theres no fuss.. however, most popcorn that is fat free is reasonable..... just don't go with movie theater butter... :)
  • Quirious
    Options
    You can make popcorn in the microwave with a really low calorie count; I use the air popped calorie calculations from this site and then also added for butter...

Take a paper lunch bag, add 1/4 cup of popcorn kernals and use the popcorn setting. It pops really well with no oil. I do add @ 1/2 TBSP of melted butter and some salt (shake it around in the bag) so you could tailor to your taste.

Bonus for me is no mystery oils/ chemicals that they use in the prepackaged bags.... and it's CHEAP!!!!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I buy the Orville Redenbacher 100 calorie bags. They are tasty & no wonders about the calories!:wink:
  • brownies9b
    Options
    Yep, I go for Orville 100 Calorie bags too. But the suggestion above for popcorn in a paper bag sounds easy enough and will have to try it...thanks!