Ideas For Good Breakfast

Options
I am interested to know what people think is a good quality breakfast. High in protein and fiber but low in carbs, sugar and sodium. I switch it up between egg whites and oatmeal. I'm open to any and all suggestions :tongue:

Also feel free to add me as a friend i'm still fairly new to MFP

Replies

• Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Since I've been strength training I do a dymatize protein shake (24 g protein and 1carb per scoop) to that I add fruit and 1c almond milk. Sometimes I'll do an omelet with egg eaters and veggies or if I feel like it special k or oatmeal.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that I actually liked this as a breakfast meal:
    1.5 oz grass-fed beef combined with 1.5 oz ground turkey
    Cook in skillet and combine with 1 cup bell peppers
    This comes in at under 150 calories

or 2 whole eggs and 3 cups organic baby spinach

This would be higher carb, but you could blend together 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 TBSP raw unsalted almond butter and scoop of protein powder (optional).

This week I'm doing 2 poached eggs with one piece of Ezekiel cinnamon/raison bread topped with 1/2 TBSP of coconut oil.
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'll have to find a recipe for you, but there are blueberry muffins that I love!! Also, an eggwhite omlete with a ton of veggies is a personal favorite with an apple and a protein shake.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese, prosciutto and poached eggs on sourdough
  • leelee0623
    Options
    One of my favs---1 egg sunny side up on whole wheat toast, 1/4 slice of avocado sprinkled with red chili flakes and a few squirts of lime juice, 1/2 grapefruit

Another easy one - whole wheat english muffin with apple slices and topped with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, broil to melt, sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • Cntrygrl07
    Cntrygrl07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally I usually do something like Peanut butter on toast (200 Cal). I drink tons of water so I stay full until my lunch. If I know I am having lunch more than 3 or 4 hours later I will add a banana (320 cal). Another thing I do is I blend some random fresh fruit with frozen raspberries/boysenberries/blackberries and 1/2 c chocolate light soymilk +1/2 c vanilla light soymilk. Depending on the fruits and how much I use of each usually comes in to about 200-270 cals
  • Jinx1
    Options
    Great ideas! I can say that aside from the raisins (blech) I have no complaints about any of the suggestions, i'm glad I posted. How does Ezekiel bread taste?? I've been curious about it for a while but def don't want to do the raisin/cinnamon lol, thanks y'all!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit, whole fruit, and nothing but the fruit.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek yogurt with fruit, or sometimes (like today) I have a whole grain English muffin with two egg whites, two thin slices of ham, and a slice of l/f cheese - but that is probably more carbs than you want.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Great ideas! I can say that aside from the raisins (blech) I have no complaints about any of the suggestions, i'm glad I posted. How does Ezekiel bread taste?? I've been curious about it for a while but def don't want to do the raisin/cinnamon lol, thanks y'all!

it's good..even the raisin one and i hate raisins!
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Two cups of coffee, a whole wheat bagel and a little peanut butter. I leave for work at 5:00am and that's too early to eat, so I make a coffee and a bagel when I get to the office.
  • JLand918
    Options
    You can not go wrong with just simple eggs and bacon....yes I said it bacon. Both will give you high protein, some fat, low carbs much better for you in my opinion. Avoid the oatmeal it is over rated carbs in it go through the roof..
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    eggs, toast, and OJ. Pretty much every day.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My usual go-to breakfasts during the workweek are either a protein bar or shake, or oatmeal and a hardboiled egg. Recently I've discovered Better Oats oatmeal, and I find it waay better than Quaker as far as instant oatmeal goes. I can make in the microwave at work. The blueberry muffin flavor is SO good.
  • genefabes
    Options
    my three go to breakfasts, all with copious amounts of coffee:
    -scramble six egg whites. put them on top of a bowl of fresh baby spinach and 1/2C black beans with a little sriracha.
    -fage 0% plain with a packet of stevia and sprinkled with cinnamon
    -two scoops chocolate whey+1/4C almond milk+ 1/4C brewed coffee+ ice..blend.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am interested to know what people think is a good quality breakfast. High in protein and fiber but low in carbs, sugar and sodium. I switch it up between egg whites and oatmeal. I'm open to any and all suggestions :tongue:

Also feel free to add me as a friend i'm still fairly new to MFP

Overnight Oatmeal, Quinoa Oatmeal, Smoothie with flax, hulled hemp seed, berries and greek yogurt; basically ANYTHING with greek yogurt (plain non-fat)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    one whole egg, 2 egg whites with bell pepper and onion with a dash of hot sauce and a piece of fruit
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is oatmeal, teaspoon of peanut butter and sliced banana added to it. Add 2 cups of coffee and I'm set till lunch time.

Weekends I'll change up with two eggs and turkey bacon with toast.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I usually make a mix of hot cereal. It includes millet, buckwheat groats, amaranth and steel cut oats with whatever chopped fruit I have in the house at the time.

Sometimes I have just fruit or a green juice or smoothie.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelette with tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms.