How to resist eating more

Options
I promise myself all the time that after I consume a certain amount of calories, I will stop. But I always tend to break such promises... Right now my mother brought me a slice of garlic bread with cheese on top.

What are your tips to avoid eating it?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Walk away from the table!

Seriously.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Drink water. You body gives you the same signals for hunger and thirst.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would start by asking the people who love you and hopefully support you to stop bring you garlic bread. I resist food by having absolutely nothing in my house that is not on my food plan and pre-packaging in containers and baggies practically everything I plan to eat in a day. I sometimes pre-log as well and then just follow the log.

But seriously, get your mother on board.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people in my house besides myself...they continue to eat garbage, and stuff the fridge and shelves with oreos, snickers, potato chips, etc.
    After trying to eat better for about 10 months now, they have seen me lose at least 30 lbs, and I think subconsciously they are trying to clean up their diets, so you see more fruits, and less junk food, but there are always junk foods in abundant supply.
    It is really, really difficult when a friend or family member is trying to be nice and considerate of you by handing you a donut, and then you try to say no politely, but they still take it as offensive.
    I have had to explain many times, that i am not trying to be rude, just trying to not be as fat. Eventually they got the idea, but when someone bakes a whole sheet of cookies, and everyone is standing around eating them, I feel like i have to at least eat one...It doesn't derail the weight loss, but it probably doesn't help.
    i guess just try to be nice, and stick to your goals, but it isn't easy.
  • mariesartin
    Options
    It is hard say NO !
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    If you have the image of a goal in mind, then you can think of that when the food comes up, and say , "No thank you" and if they press, accept it, set the plate down, and wait five minutes, continuing to do whatever it was you were doing, thinking of your goal. And then just say, "Mom, I know it's lovely, but I'm just so very not hungry right now that I'm just not going to eat it. Does anyone else want this piece of bread?" and if they don't, save it, garbage it, feed it to the dog, whatever, but not yourself.
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    go workout the amount of calories it is. if you're anything like me, you won't eat it after that because you'll realize how much work it took to burn off something you don't actually need! :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I found I had to distract myself with a large glass of water, quick walk, etcetera. It works!
  • Olbol123
    Olbol123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You just have to think, Is eating this more important your happiness?
  • gwendb
    gwendb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can totally NOT trick myself into not eating something with no amount of mind games. What I used to do was if I had taken a big bowl of something and then decided I didn't want it but couldn't stop, I would shake salt all over it. It helped because the food sat in front of me, inedible, and I started to not want it anymore.

Good Luck!