Emergency! About how many pounds to a pant size?

Options
I am going on an extended business trip to China in one month, and I don't know which clothes to pack! They will probably not have my size, or at least not in the right length since I'm a foot taller than the average woman there. I'm 5'9.

I have lost 8lbs now and my size 12 jeans are a little loose, but my size 10s (my goal) are still too tight. I may have stretched out my size 12s though... Approximately how many pounds did you have to lose per size? If I end up a size 10, I need to buy more pants before I go since I only have 2 that are still in good shape, but I don't quite fit into them yet! HELP!

Just out of curiosity, does the amount of pounds change depending on the size? I mean is it more/less weight to go from say 22 to 20 then it is to go from 12 to 10?

Replies

• Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person and how you carry your weight. I would get some size 10's to be safe.
  • momie0205
    Options
    Since your not leaving for a month. I bet you will be into the size 10's by then. I would pack a few 12's and the rest 10's.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to answer your questions, but If I were you, I would take the bigger size and a nice belt! have a safe trip ;-)
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter because pants brands vary so greatly. I have jeans in sizes 8 through12 that all fit me the same way. Plus you could lose 10 lbs but it all comes from your arms or something so it might not change your pants size. Or you could not lose any pounds but lose inches instead and go down two sizes. You just can't really guess.

I'd just pack the 12s and maybe one of the 10s just in case you go down a size while there.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    seriously.. they really have nothing to do with each other. Drop the carbs in your diet for the next 2 weeks and focus on weight training and you'll prolly get into the 10's no problem. I've lost only 2 lbs in the last month but gone from size 16 to 12. I lost 66 lbs and went from 22 to 16. See.. not really much to do with each other! LOL
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I remember watching Oprah one day and she said there was about a 10lb difference. I am the same size and height as you and I am shooting for a 10 lb loss to get back in my size 10s by Thanksgiving.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. At 190 I was a tight 14, at 180 I was a tight 12. At 165 I was comfortable 10. At 155 I was a comfortable 8. Now at 145-147 I'm between a 4 & 6. So, I pretty much dropped a size for every 10-12 pounds I lost.

But I've also heard that some people lose 20 pounds between sizes. It's all in how you are made.

I'd take both 10's and 12's (I understand the not being able to find pants in China, I'm 5'11, I can barely find them in the US!).

Have a wonderful time on your business trip, be sure to take in some culture while you are away!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It TOTALLY depends on you.. I'm still 2lbs heavier than when I really started here on MFP, but down 5 lbs from my high in the meantime, but I'm in 3 sizes smaller clothes than i was in Dec 2010. I weigh more...and am in smaller clothes. So there is no "pounds per pant size" to apply across the board.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's usually 10 - 20lbs, depending where you carry your weight/how much you have to lose.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't get upset if your pants are tight after flying. When I fly my body swells. It goes away after a day or so. You are on a long flight. Drink lots of water.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was afraid that would be the answer.... Probably even more so since I do heavy duty weight training (none of the 'toning' crap). My biceps are big enough now that some of my shirts with sleeves don't fit well.

Yes I do low(ish) carbs. I've been averaging about 125g a day over the last two months. In the last week, I have really cracked down, and got my average down to about 80, and lost 1.1 lbs in 6 days!

Belt is a great idea! That can help, until they are big enough that the material actually folds/scrunches. That is horrible!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am going on an extended business trip to China in one month, and I don't know which clothes to pack! They will probably not have my size, or at least not in the right length since I'm a foot taller than the average woman there. I'm 5'9.

I have lost 8lbs now and my size 12 jeans are a little loose, but my size 10s (my goal) are still too tight. I may have stretched out my size 12s though... Approximately how many pounds did you have to lose per size? If I end up a size 10, I need to buy more pants before I go since I only have 2 that are still in good shape, but I don't quite fit into them yet! HELP!

Just out of curiosity, does the amount of pounds change depending on the size? I mean is it more/less weight to go from say 22 to 20 then it is to go from 12 to 10?

Weight has little to do with clothing size. It's all about your measurements. Measure your size 10s and measure yourself. Look at your MFP reports and see how long, on average, it is taking you to get smaller.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to answer your questions, but If I were you, I would take the bigger size and a nice belt! have a safe trip ;-)

^^This is what I would do too.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Ooh! Just had a great thought! Probably can't buy new clothes, but I probably can get the clothes I have tailored pretty cheaply! Maybe I should go buy new clothes now (including a nice suit or two) with an eye to get them tailored!!!!!!!!!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You could just order some new ones from an internet store and have them shipped. You may even be able to get something shipped from within China, and save a little money on shipping costs. I buy clothes online several times a year, and most of it comes from China.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think your definition of Emergency is skewed.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Really differs for everyone.. I've lost almost 75 lbs and I have only gone down 3 pant sizes.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you're going to Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong.. they will have stores with women's sizing if you need clothes in a pinch. Otherwise, I'm sure your hotel will have a tailor and you can get your current clothing taken in.

An aside, I did not feel all that tall in China like I originally thought and I'm 5'7".

The street food is fantastic! Enjoy.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If this is an emergency, hang up and dial 911
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ooh! Just had a great thought! Probably can't buy new clothes, but I probably can get the clothes I have tailored pretty cheaply! Maybe I should go buy new clothes now (including a nice suit or two) with an eye to get them tailored!!!!!!!!!
    Tailors in the east are fantastic and inexpensive. Not sure where in China you will be but I've been to great tailors in HK and in Shanghai. I haven't tried Beijing, but I'm sure there are some great ones there too.

I would take all your favorite 12s that are already in your closet but getting loose and get them all taken in while you are there. Will be a lot less expensive than buying 10s in the US. I would take the 12s because it's easier for a tailor to size down than to size up. Also, if you are tall, the extra length will be good and you'll get a really great fit.

If you have two 10s pants, you can just wear those for a couple days while the tailor is working. They are usually pretty quick because they are used to business tourists. Some will even come to your hotel for fittings.

Also, they can make an entire bespoke suit from scratch for less than you'll buy in a store here.