MFP Runners Club - May 18

Options
pmkelly409
pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
Good Morning Club Friends!

I am a lazy *kitten* this am! Got up and had plenty of time to run, but didn't....I am just not a morning person and TOM has me feeling yucky and 8lbs of water weight is gross!

So, that is going to be my goal for June! Yea, set a goal! Run in the mornings....

I don't have the DH and kids this afternoon, sending them on the scout hike without me, so I will run while they are on the hike.

Hope everyone has a great day!! Run, Run, Run your arses off!!! :heart:

Tricia

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Club Friends!

I am a lazy *kitten* this am! Got up and had plenty of time to run, but didn't....I am just not a morning person and TOM has me feeling yucky and 8lbs of water weight is gross!

So, that is going to be my goal for June! Yea, set a goal! Run in the mornings....

I don't have the DH and kids this afternoon, sending them on the scout hike without me, so I will run while they are on the hike.

Hope everyone has a great day!! Run, Run, Run your arses off!!! :heart:

Tricia
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I run 5 days a week. Sundays are my "long" run. Just got back from a 7 mile run. It sure feels good to have that done.

"Run like someone is chasing you" :noway:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My legs are tired from yesterday's eight mile run. Today I'm going to lift weights and maybe do a little on the elliptical. I'm also going to take my doggie for a walk before it gets too hot outside. Thanks for inviting me into this club! Good luck everyone!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    gonna shoot for another 3 miles a bit later!! and some swimming too!!

hugs and have a good day and runs!
    Ali
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Good morning my good people,

Well, I just completed my Sunday's long run. I ran 10 1/2 km and the last 3k were in the rain and guess what, I didn't melt. I always thought I would. lol

I really didn't think I was going to run this morning because I woke up with a wicked headache. I dropped the girls off and told myself "just do what you can do". I'm so glad I went out!! Yeah for me!!

Good luck to all you going out for a run later!! You'll be glad you did!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Didn't run yesterday but today I'm going to shoot for four miles. The humidity is still low and holding steady there so I'm psyched about running! It feels so good to run now! :happy:

So do most of you run outside or inside? And are outside miles equivalent in difficulty to treadmill miles? I've always wondered about that.

Happy running!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I ran every run inside. Now I run every run outside. I still remember the first day I ran outside after running on my treadmill for years. I thought I would die! It is much harder to run outside. IMO, I think the fact that you are running inside or outside is so good for your body. :bigsmile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My legs are tired from yesterday's eight mile run.

Mine, too! I was just about to head out for a 4-mile run when I decided that I needed a day off. What's worse is that my lower back is a little sore, too. (Not from running.) So today I'll take some advil and relax. My exercise will come from walking around downtown and shopping!
    It is much harder to run outside.

I disagree. My endurance is always a lot better when I run outside. Inside, the distractions are just too close to me, whether it's the TV in front of my face, the runners on the treadmills next to me (some of whom don't know what they're doing) or the children - yes, children! - running around between the gym entrance and the locker room. My building's gym setup is ridiculous. In my opinion, children under 13 have no business being anywhere near a moving treadmill or weight training equipment. Same goes for 30-year-olds who act like children. (One of my neighbors slapped my butt with a towel when I was running on the treadmill a few weeks ago.) All in all, I find that running outside gives me the peace of mind that I need to put in a good run.

My old running coach also warned that treadmill running can damage your technique and weaken your muscles since you don't use them in as many ways. For instance, while you can run on an incline on the treadmill, it does not actually imitate a real hill (i.e. flattening at the top). And you can't run downhill on a treadmill. Your muscles actually do the most complex motions when you're running downhill. It is important to practice running downhill (outside) if you have any aspirations to race on a course that is not perfectly flat!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Afternoon, my muses!!

No run for me today, although gonna pop in "Cardio Max" a little later. Gonna plant some flowers & then hopefully chill out for awhile. Been a busy weekend & haven't had time to sit back & enjoy it!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I took my dog for a 50 minute walk. Then I went to the gym and lifted weights and went three miles on the elliptical and then stretched. I felt pretty good about that since I worked out hard yesterday. It's a beautiful day here in Oregon and I'm going to enjoy the sunshine the rest of the day!:flowerforyou:
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Funny how people are different because I think running outside is easier...other than allergy/asthma problems. I find that I go faster outside then I do on the treadmill and you feel like you are actually getting somewhere. I like both. I run on our treadmill when I have my kids home or on days that it's thunderstorming or my asthma is acting up. Otherwise I'd rather run outside.

I didn't do much of a run today. I just ran 1.5 miles at 7 miles per hour and then did some lifting. My hips were a little sore this morning from the last few days of running so I wanted to go easy today. I hope that I feel better tomorrow as I don't want to take a day off yet.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to run early this morning after my early run and bike commute yesterday. But... one of my twins caught the nasty GI bug that my other twin had last week. :frown:

I still hope to get a run in this afternoon when DD naps.
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    Sundays are my big days. Today I want to run 5. Its 3 and i have told 1/2 of chicago i was going to run today.

Now i need to get off the butt and head outside.

i cant be a liar!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Didn't run yesterday but today I'm going to shoot for four miles. The humidity is still low and holding steady there so I'm psyched about running! It feels so good to run now! :happy:

So do most of you run outside or inside? And are outside miles equivalent in difficulty to treadmill miles? I've always wondered about that.

Happy running!

For me, running outside is harder. I feel like I can run for days on a treadmill. (I run faster too).
    It's so interesting how different we all are.

Enjoy the remainder of the day! :flowerforyou:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've only run on a treadmill a few times but I thought it was easier than outside. Effort wise I mean, but I agree about it being much more boring and less motivating. But that's just me! I really love running outside.

Today we set out with the goal of 4 8-minute runs with a couple minutes in between. The temperature soared this afternoon though and it was about 90 while we were running, and that really wiped us out. So we only got through 3 sets - that's about 3 miles for my husband but I'm slower, so maybe 2.75 miles for me.

I really wanted to keep going, but I seem to have trouble cooling off properly and I didn't want to keel over. I don't sweat too terribly much when I'm running and my face gets very red - is anyone else like that? Do we have more trouble cooling than other people? I drink plenty of water so it's not that.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've got my treadmilll right smack in front of a TV. I DVR my favorite shows and watch them while I run, so I never get bored and actually look forward to treadmill runs. Also, it's easier on my knees (I have one of those 'flex decks"). However, I look forward to running outside, too. For me, it's a totally different experience--almost a different sport altogether.

I just love running--whichever way I can get it in!

Sundays are my day off, so I get to rest on the sabbath, but I only get 1200 calories to eat, too. :ohwell:

Hope everyone gets to rest a little bit today!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Outside running for me is best. I have the patience & focus of a newborn so having new sights to see really helps. :laugh:

Plus, I hate how sweaty I get running indoors.

/princess :blushing:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Me no run run today. I had to travel most of the day across the state and back and needless to say I am crabby:grumble: , more so that I didn't get to run than being couped up in a car all ang day on the most perfect day we've had yet-77 degrees full on sun-URGH!!!
    I was with you all in spirit, so I should just count all of your calories on my exercise log, right?!?!:tongue:
    At least "Tomorrow is only a day A-WAY!
    TOOOOOOOMMMOOORRROOW TOOOMMMOOORROOWW I luv ya tommorrow"
    Sorry, couldn't resist:blushing:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am logging my run a day late!!!!! AHHHHH I was soo tired I forgot completely!!! I was also basking in the pens win and advancement to the finals!!! But after a LONG nothing went right day at work, I hit the pool almost immediately for a half hour or so and came home and hit the pavement for a jaunt . I did only about 3 miles but in under 30 minutes. I am not running tommorrow but swimming again...