Soreness from working out

Options
Okay so I've been working out for about 2 months now and gradually increasing my fitness level. I've started a new class and it was killer! As a result I am very very sore and then did a spin class the next day and now I'm more sore today then the previous day. Does anyone know a good way to relieve soreness? I go back to my new class tonight and I feel like I want be able to make it based on how sore I am, I mean I can barely walk.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Drink your water, people say eating high potassium items can help recover quicker, also make sure your doing some sort of stretching before and after to get your muscles ready.. It will go away in a few days and then after a while you won't get sore, its just a way of your muscles telling you that they weren't being worked before but they definitely are now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you can barely walk, you need to take at least one rest day - more if you're still gimpy tomorrow. Dink lots of water, stretch and go for an easy walk. Advil can help ease the discomfort. Been there - it's not fun! I ended up taking 3 days off after a new workout because I could barely move. :tongue:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rest. Also, glutamine.
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Rest is what does it for me. I used to just try to push through the soreness. but I realize now that all muscles need a rest. I take one COMPLETE rest day every week and it is amazing.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Epsom Salts bath....actually beneficial for all kinds of things. You can google for the benefits, but it's awesome for muscle soreness. Or do some light walking, etc. Get that lactic acid out of your muscles. :)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If it's a continual low-level pain, you're probably suffering from DOMS if you've started training muscles intensely that haven't had a proper workout before. It passes after a few days as the body reacts. It's normal.

If the muscles are well trained already, then it is worth giving a full day's rest or two before going back into it, to see how your body reacts to the rest. If it dulls, then you're all good.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If it's a continual low-level pain, you're probably suffering from DOMS if you've started training muscles intensely that haven't had a proper workout before. It passes after a few days as the body reacts. It's normal.

If the muscles are well trained already, then it is worth giving a full day's rest or two before going back into it, to see how your body reacts to the rest. If it dulls, then you're all good.

This is correct.... now that you have a steer google it and learn about your body so you can help other people aswell!
  • rickphill
    rickphill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when increase your activity level you got to give your body time to recover. A soak in a hot tub/whirlpool or a really hot bath will help your muscles relax but in takes 48 hours for your body to remove lactic acid from your muscles.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Epsom Salts bath....actually beneficial for all kinds of things. You can google for the benefits, but it's awesome for muscle soreness. Or do some light walking, etc. Get that lactic acid out of your muscles. :)

Yep..I swear by these, they really do help. Two cups in a regular bath tub and relax for at least 20 minutes, they say 12 mins is all you need but I do a bit longer :smile:
  • taintedbutterfly18
    Options
    If you can't move, then you need to give your body a rest for a day or two. It takes time to get into a new fitness routine. I still get sore and I have been exercising for years. I like to switch it up all the time.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!! I will be taking an Epson Bath tonight and I did try to walk the hallway at work which helped a little but since I sit behind a desk I got stiff again. Now I'm just getting up and down to relieve some of that pain. I may be sore now but at least I know I got a good workout in :-)