Listing everything

Options
Hello all,

I realize I'm still new here, and I've spent a lot of time not watching what I put into my body - or how much. Yet, in listing the items for food consumed do any of you recommend listing spices, sauces, or other flavorings. I'm assuming that would increase the accuracy of one's caloric intake. Any thoughts? I appreciate the comments.

Thanks for the supportive environment.

- Shawn

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'd absolutely list sauces, as some can be extremely calorie, sugar, and fat laden, but I wouldn't worry about recording every little dash of chili powder, pinch of salt, or sprinkling of oregano. The calories in them are fairly negligible, and don't add up to much at all. The only time I'd include sugar is if I used a large amount...like sugar in my coffee, or honey in my tea. I'd also include salt if you use a lot of extra, as well.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'd absolutely list sauces, as some can be extremely calorie, sugar, and fat laden, but I wouldn't worry about recording every little dash of chili powder, pinch of salt, or sprinkling of oregano. The calories in them are fairly negligible, and don't add up to much at all. The only time I'd include sugar is if I used a large amount...like sugar in my coffee, or honey in my tea. I'd also include salt if you use a lot of extra, as well.

THATS RIGHT
  • goalnsight
    Options
    I would list the sauces and dips and things like that! I had no idea how many empty calories things had. I love ketchup, but it has salt and sugar. I also love mayo, and it dawned on me that I was adding a 100 calories to my sandwhich with just One tablespoon. It helps to add everything, because it gives you the larger picture as far as how many calories you are taking in. On a brighter note, some things I would think had a lot of calories... Didn't, so that means I can have a guilty free treat!
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options

I second this! And list the salt if you're watching your soduim levels.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I also love mayo, and it dawned on me that I was adding a 100 calories to my sandwhich with just One tablespoon.

Mayo was one of the first things I cut out at the start, I ADORE it and used to have it with everything but it's just so bad - in moderation, it's fine but I really don't trust myself to eat it in moderation ;-)

Regarding the original question, there are a couple of things I don't bother to list - the low fat spread i use on bread for sandwiches, and also salt, pepper, vinegar etc. I leave those off as well. Pretty much everything else is listed.
  • PhiloScholar
    Options

Thanks for the feedback...that helps.

- Shawn
  • PhiloScholar
    Options
    I would list the sauces and dips and things like that! I had no idea how many empty calories things had. I love ketchup, but it has salt and sugar. I also love mayo, and it dawned on me that I was adding a 100 calories to my sandwhich with just One tablespoon. It helps to add everything, because it gives you the larger picture as far as how many calories you are taking in. On a brighter note, some things I would think had a lot of calories... Didn't, so that means I can have a guilty free treat!

One Tbsp?! Good grief! Thanks for the feedback, I'm almost afraid to eat...lol.

- Shawn
  • PhiloScholar
    Options

I second this! And list the salt if you're watching your soduim levels.

Thanks for the help!

- Shawn