Asking for prayers

Options
I'm the editor of the local weekly paper, and an EMT for our rural ambulance service. It's been a way crappy week so far. On Saturday I was paged to an address I knew — a 20 year old friend of mine killed herself. Monday, my dad was hospitalized. Today, one of my good friends, only 56, died of a stroke. Again, I was on the call, and then had to go in to work at the newspaper. I am having trouble even focusing right now. I know that as I get older, as I'm a member of the ambulance service and as I live in a small town, it's going to happen - but right now I want to walk over to the donut shop and put myself in a diabetic coma.

Replies

• busymomma97
    busymomma97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot to handle...let alone all in one week! Praying for you and for you to have added strength as you face this tough week you are going through. When I am under stress I try to exercise a bit more to take my stress out that way and then usually the thought of me wanting to "emotional eat" goes out the door. Keep your head up, things will get better.
  • madanvineet
    Options
    hey... i hope your dad gets well soon and am sorry to hear about your losses... things will get better for sure... god puts you in situations you can handle so he/she knows you can move on...

if I am totally stressed I just go walk where no body is there and think about nothing... just walk and sometimes just sleep outside in the shade of a tree...

pushing yourself not to think about something will keep that thing in your head so dont fight it... I wish the very best to you...
  • ginib
    ginib Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had that kind of week last week. On the same day, found out two people I knew had died over the weekend and one of my best friends has had a recurrence of cancer. As I was pulling on to the freeway to head home a song came on the radio. I listen to Christian radio and know that the songs come on exactly when I need them. The song playing was saying that God will allow you to bend, but not break. I put my faith in that. As the previous posters said, I also walk or ride my bike and try to enjoy my surroundings. All I wanted to do was gorge on chocolate. But I got on the boards, just as you did and shared my pain with my friends here. Know that folks here do care and we are praying for you and those around you.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Praying for you! I understand a lot of what you are saying, as I have worked in emergency services in a very small town for a long time too! Hang in there.
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please remember that God does not give us anything that we cannot handle. What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Hang in there and know that there are people out there who care and are praying for you and your dad. God Bless!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That is a tough week. I give you permission to have a donut - but just ONE! Make it the best donut they have though. Then go out and take a walk or read a good book or whatever other comfort things you do for yourself that don't involve food. Hope your dad is better soon. That's so stressful - my mom was in the hospital for quite a while a few years back, I know how rough it can be.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    May the Lord comfort you in this troubling time.:flowerforyou:
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is a lot and I will most definitely pray for you! As someone who has gone through so much in this life, I know how important prayer is and having family and friends in our lives who will love and support us. There are those who I know will continue to love me, even at my worst.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    you are in my prayers for tonight, i am sorry that you have had to face such traumas and pray that God will give you the strength to get through x
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Wow you do have a lot on your plate...prayers go out to you....now as for that doughnut, it won't help for more than 3 minutes...then you're going to have the same pains and the pain of this doughnut you'll want to burn off. Food isn't our answer to problems, it's more of a hindrance. Living in a small community has it's ups and down's right now you're in the downs part of living there. Try to keep your head up for your father...he needs you to be strong show him you're strong and can do what needs to be done. I wish you luck and stay away from that doughnut shop.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Walking has helped me...Its my time to walk, cry, and talk to God... Its during that time that he hides me in his shadow and speaks sweet words in my ear. Continue to draw closer to God and He will take care of all the rest. He will never put more on us than we can bare. His will be done and I pray your strength to accept whatever that may be.

I'm always here if you need to vent...
  • nefbaker
    Options
    I can't thank all of you enough. The permission for a donut was great, because once I had permission, it was no longer taboo and I no longer wanted it as badly. :) I have an obstacle course run on Saturday, so after my EMS-debriefing (so I could vent about things I couldn't talk about to friends because of information privacy) I strapped on the running shoes and took the dog out for 2 hours. I couldn't run all of it because of the tears, but definately being outside and crying to God "Why" made a difference.

Thank you again for the support.
    Mindy
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    O wow - you have had a crappy week! So sorry to hear about the losses and daily trials (for lack of a better word-sorry) you have my prayers as well as the people that have touched your life.....the doughnuts wont help though- you know that- ask God for strength and guidance-He wont steer you wrong :) hugs
  • Kali_Dreams
    Options
    God bless you!!!! I just prayed
  • Momonamission53
    Momonamission53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just letting you know prayers for you. One other person sorta said what I going to say. The donut will not solve anything but hurt you. Like the the cartoon I saw not long ago "Step away from the donut and no one gets hurt"... You are loved by all here and we are here for each other. Life happens I know. So look up and thank God for another day, and thank you where you are that you can be a help in someones elses life. Please take care of yourself, we are all here for the same thing encouragement. : )