Building muscle mass...

Options
Hi!
Right I'm in a predicament. I'm a student and can't really afford to join a gym and so I can't go anywhere to lift weights.
Will squats, lunges ect help build muscle mass too?
Also, does anyone know what a typical circuits class involves? I'm considering going to one but I'm nervous!

Replies

• NewNalu
    Options
    I'm trying to build lean muscle as well. I don't have a gym membership and do all my strength training at home with body weight and dumbbell exercises.

For my body type, I really need to focus on my calorie intake and make sure I'm in a calorie surplus at the end of the day. This combined with eating healthy and working out has worked for me so far.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to build lean muscle as well. I don't have a gym membership and do all my strength training at home with body weight and dumbbell exercises.

For my body type, I really need to focus on my calorie intake and make sure I'm in a calorie surplus at the end of the day. This combined with eating healthy and working out has worked for me so far.

What sort of exercises do you do?
    & what weight dumbells would you recommend? I've never really done any lifting but I don't want to have to keep buying new dumbells for when I need heavier ones due the the aforementioned student status.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

What sort of exercises do you do?
    & what weight dumbells would you recommend? I've never really done any lifting but I don't want to have to keep buying new dumbells for when I need heavier ones due the the aforementioned student status.

The dumbbell weights will change as you progress. They will also be different for different exercises. So either buy a large range (5-50lbs to start?) or get adjustable ones (Iron Gym, Bowflex, etc).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Right I'm in a predicament. I'm a student and can't really afford to join a gym and so I can't go anywhere to lift weights.
    Will squats, lunges ect help build muscle mass too?
    Also, does anyone know what a typical circuits class involves? I'm considering going to one but I'm nervous!

If gym lifting is just not an option I would research some bodyweight based programs that have the following characteristics:

1) Lifting with your entire body (all major muscle groups) over the course of a week.
    2) Incorporating progressive resistance through exercise selection, resistance bands, or utilizing different angles/hand positions to simulate additional resistance.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Utilize the free weights room at your college. There are open exercise times when any current student may come in and use the equipment for free. You can also sign up for weight training classes as an audit so you can get some training instruction using your student loans/grants money.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would not bother with a circuit class as they are not as effective for strength training as non-circuit style routines imo.

Push ups are great as you can vary the hand width making them more tricep or bicep/chest dominant and they work the back and chest/arms. Plus you can vary resistance by doing one legged ones and by raising your feet.

If you can, buying a pull up bar would be very beneficial - you can do pull ups/chin ups and hanging leg raises.

For legs, try squats and lunges. There are loads of variations that can make them harder like Bulgarian split squats and pistol squats.

ETA: this is for a home workout without having DBs available. If you can get access to a gym - then you should make use of the free weights there.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a car? Do you have access to a sturdy rope?

Get a buddy and take said vehicle to an empty parking lot and put it in neutral. Push the car in front of you for 10 minutes while your buddy steers and mocks you for being slow.

Tie a rope to something sturdy on the car and pull it towards you (while walking backwards) for 10 minutes while your buddy honks the horn and calls you names for being slow.

Do that 3 times a week, once it gets easier, find a parking lot with small hills =)
  • megabit2k
    Options
    I use the furniture at home. I bench press my coffee table which is not only heavy but very awkward. I do push-ups with my feet up on the coffee table as well.

In my back yard I have one of those huge tractor tires that I push around and hammer on with a big sledge hammer.

Squats are a great way to add mass to your legs and as a compound exercise you get a good core workout as well.

As someone mentioned, don't forget that your own body weight is quite effective when you need to lift heavy.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You can also use a weighted vest for pull ups push ups etc. check them out on amazon.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Poweblocks are another type of adjustable dumbbells. Lots of great info on this thread! You can do push ups with your feet on a stability ball if you have one, that is another variation (good for your core, as well as all the other muscles), and you can do prone jacknives and pikes on the ball. Bulgarian split squats are great! Pull up bar is great. Inverted rows, if you have a lower bar.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    kettlebells!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do squats with your backpack full of rocks, or throw your girlfriend over your shoulders and do squats.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Do squats with your backpack full of rocks, or throw your girlfriend over your shoulders and do squats.

Great idea! Where's Cat? =)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Great idea! Where's Cat? =)

I do fireman carry squats and weighted pushups with my baby doll. Its a fun way to workout together :-)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There is a lot you can do with bodyweight.

I know that there is plenty more resistance out there; I'm a long way from maxing the capabilities of BW resistance, but:

For upper body pushing I do:
    One arm pushups, handstand pushups, pseudo planche pushups, pseudo maltese pushups, tuck planches, one leg back levers, planche leans, and dips. I do weighted dips with DB's tied around my waist as well.

For upper body pulling I do:
    Pullups, uneven chinups (one hand holding a towel), tuck front lever rows, one leg front lever. I also do weighted pulls with DB's tied around my waist.

For quad dominant legs I do:
    Pistol squats, shrimp squats, DB weighted pistol squats, one leg wall sits, plyo pistol squats, low horse stance for time. I also do leg extensions where I just hold DB's in my feet at full extension for time.

For posterior dominant legs I do:
    Hand assisted glute ham raises, hill sprints, 1 legged bridges

For the core I do:
    Floor L-sits, dragon flags with isometric hold, back bridges

Being in a calorie surplus all my muscles are growing just fine.

I'm working toward feet elevated one arm pushups, one arm chinups, hands elevated handstand pushups, front lever, front lever rows, ice cream makers, back lever, back lever pulls, planche, planche pushups, 90 degree pushups, heavily weighted pistols (with a weight vest I'm eventually going to get I could get as high as +130 lbs over BW (right now 200 lbs and rising)), full glute ham raises w/ isometric hold, stand to stand bridges.