Couch to 5K success?

Options
Any new (or old) stories of success with this app? Started 2 days ago...

Oh and anyone know exact calories burned from this??

Thanks!

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Great program if you want to run 5 kilometers.

Only half of what you should be doing to be/get/stay fit.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could be the C25K/MyFitnessPal poster child.

The combination of these two things has changed my life.

I started MFP on January 5th... weighed 321 pounds.

On January 28th I started C25K... at that point I was down to 307.

In the next 32 weeks I completed C25k, Bridge 2 10K, and a Hal Higdon Half Marathon training plan.

Last saturday I ran my first Half Marathon and finished strong. I wasn't fast (2:42) but I had a great time and have two more HMs planned in the next 4 months.

You can see from my ticker where MFP and running have gotten me... 108 pounds down from my highest weight (I weigh 240 pounds as of today), and 81 of that is this year.

C25K is an amazing program... follow the program and trust that taking a slow, steady, incremental approach to running is best.

Ted
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I feel that I am C25k success story...twice. First time, 4 years ago, over the course of 8 months I started and finished C25k, then moved onto half marathon training. I didn't get to run the half because I caught norovirus a couple days before the race and ended up in the hospital (still a giant disappointment in my life...even bigger disappointment is that I was so frustrated that I stopped running).

Summer 2011 I started C25k again but had a persistent injury that made me stop. Finally got clearance this past spring and re-started the program yet again. Now I am back to pushing mileage so I can do a half sometime in my life. All my current weight loss happened during this stint too!
  • zirk95
    Options
    Wow that is awesome!! Thanks for sharing and keep it up :) CONGRATS!!!!
    I feel like I could be the C25K/MyFitnessPal poster child.

The combination of these two things has changed my life.

I started MFP on January 5th... weighed 321 pounds.

On January 28th I started C25K... at that point I was down to 307.

In the next 32 weeks I completed C25k, Bridge 2 10K, and a Hal Higdon Half Marathon training plan.

Last saturday I ran my first Half Marathon and finished strong. I wasn't fast (2:42) but I had a great time and have two more HMs planned in the next 4 months.

You can see from my ticker where MFP and running have gotten me... 108 pounds down from my highest weight (I weigh 240 pounds as of today), and 81 of that is this year.

C25K is an amazing program... follow the program and trust that taking a slow, steady, incremental approach to running is best.

Ted
  • zirk95
    Options
    I feel that I am C25k success story...twice. First time, 4 years ago, over the course of 8 months I started and finished C25k, then moved onto half marathon training. I didn't get to run the half because I caught norovirus a couple days before the race and ended up in the hospital (still a giant disappointment in my life...even bigger disappointment is that I was so frustrated that I stopped running).

Summer 2011 I started C25k again but had a persistent injury that made me stop. Finally got clearance this past spring and re-started the program yet again. Now I am back to pushing mileage so I can do a half sometime in my life. All my current weight loss happened during this stint too!

Good for you for never giving up! Congrats on the weight loss too!
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Right now I'm on week 6 of the C25k program. 7 weeks ago I couldn't complete week 1 of the program. But I kept repeating the first week until I could finish. Just keep at it and you will be running a 5k in no time.

Also, don't over-train. The first time I started running I ended up with a bad ankle injury because I didn't give myself time to rest.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Why isn't 5K enough?
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I loosely followed that plan & have already competed in a 10k race (finished in 1 hour) and am now training for my second race, looking to finish in 50 minutes! x
  • CaralynH
    Options
    Yes. I was never clinically overweight, but wanted to lose weight. I assumed since I did a lot of walking, I' d be able to run. Wrong! I tried one day and was out of breath after less than a minute. I started C25k and it was tough but I did it. That was Spring 2011. I had a big lay off from running over last winter but started again, and now I'm running about 9km non stop. Combined with MFP it has helped me lose 7lb in 3 months (after re-starting this year). I put a little back on while on honeymoon but am now totally back on the programme and aim to be under 126lb by Christmas :)
  • ajsminer
    ajsminer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zirk95- I found C25K to be a great program. I worked through it a couple years ago and continue to run today. I am in no way a fast runner-- but I get out there. I enjoyed the program because it was gradual and it was timed- so that helped me focus. My mantra while running was, "I can do anything for 30 minutes." You can do it! Remember to warm up before your runs and drink water! Best of luck to ya!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I loosely followed that plan & have already competed in a 10k race (finished in 1 hour) and am now training for my second race, looking to finish in 50 minutes! x

I also loosely followed the program and have run 2 5K races in the past month. I felt it was a really great program for someone who has NEVER been a runner (ME!) and never thought to be a runner (again me) but really WANTED to be a runner! :) Once you finish you can move on to the Bridge to 10K program and increase your distance.

And I completely disagree with the poster who said a 5K is about half of what you need to get and stay fit. BS. I've never noticed results in the shape of my body like I have with this program. Maybe for YOU it's half, but for beginners, I'd say it's a great program.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Why isn't 5K enough?

I think the comment was intended to mean that running is great, but food intake is also important.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Did c25k in January, currently training for a 10-mile race and 4-5 mile runs are my short runs of the week. It works to get you started running.

Calorie burns vary dramatically person to person. Even a heart rate monitor isn't going to give you an accurate number for intervals (and that's what c25k basically is...)
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K last month! I continually go back and re-do segments of it when I need a little motivation. I often ran on the treadmill and used that to calculate the calorie burn. Other times I concurrently ran programs like Walk Tracker or MapMyRun to find out the burn benefit.

Keep up the great work! Good luck with it... Listen to your body... There's no shame in re-doing segments on which you feel you could improve.

AND HAVE FUN!
  • ammorley208
    ammorley208 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 5. I love this program. I have never been able to run even as a little kid but always wanted to. This program has helped me get into running and it's now something that I enjoy and look forward to. Definitely a good way to go.

ETA-I calculate the calories based on my average mile time. So if it says that I do a 16 minute mile, I looked up the speed of a 16 minute mile and use that. Usually, I'm about a brisk 4 mph walk and put my time in for that.
  • vaish1989
    vaish1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started as well. As for calories burned, I tend to try to underestimate. So I'll enter it as walking at the speed you average for 30 minutes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Does couch to 5K swim count? Due to arthritis running is not on the agenda. But I can swim.
    I regularly do 2 miles. One day I decide to do 3 miles plus a few laps to make it just of a 5K.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when we did the programme we split the running time and the walking time and logged it in the exercise cardio log as we didn't have hrm now we run 3miles 4-5x week and log what the hrm says we burned hope that helps
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Careful... it's a gateway drug. :wink:

I started with C25K because I wanted to do Warrior Dash with my brother and my niece. He's been running for 30 years and she's a 25 year old athlete. I was (then) a 38 year old couch potato who couldn't run 1/10th of a mile without getting winded.

Three months later, I ran my first race and kept up with my brother. Two weeks later, I beat my brother. Within 5 months, I finished a 5 mile race just 7 seconds behind my niece. Kicked butt in Warrior Dash, but didn't treat it as a race because we made a pact to stick together. Picked up a couple of medals in races, too!

Now, I run 3x a week, between 3 and 7+ miles, and lift weights 3x a week. I'm like a cheesy infomercial, "I'm 40 years old and in the best shape of my life!" And it stared with C25K.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Half the miles or half the process? Like if you mean...half the process. Sure. You can out eat any exercise plan.

I love the C25K. I'm on Week 7 D3 tomorrow and I suddenly...I feel like a running. And I love it. My first 5K is tomorrow. 7 weeks ago the 1 minute intervals were killer. Now? 25min+ straight :)