Pocketmole's Pizzas & Paninis

Options
pocketmole
pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
I was going to just make a post about the flatbread pizzas I make, but upon realizing I could do some corny alliteration with my name I decided to throw in a little panini talk as well. :]

I suppose I should say a little about my methods of cooking before going into all of this, because I know some people have very strict ideas about what "diet" food is. My philosophy has been to cook things that I know I'll love. If I feel deprived I quickly fall off of the bandwagon. I love food and if I didn't care about my health I would probably eat a 2000 calorie block of cheddar cheese for breakfast every morning, haha. For this reason I try to use quality ingredients that pack a lot of flavor. I often cook with real butter, cream, fancy schmancy cheeses, good quality chocolate, etc. The key is not to go overboard with the ingredients, to mind my portions to get the flavor I want from the good stuff while filling out with some lighter options like light cream cheese or yogurt. For most of my meals I aim to keep things around 300-400 calories, which on my 1200 calorie budget tends to allow for some snacking during the day. On the days when I work out (I do boot camp three days a week) I go up to more like 400-500 per meal. If I go over my calories for the day I don't freak out about it, as I'm trying to keep my eyes open to the big picture. Just in case anyone had any doubts about eating pizzas and paninis on a diet, I've lost 45lbs eating these foods and I don't feel like I'm starved everyday. I always feel satisfied after a meal, which is what is one of the most important things for me. :)

Aaaaand enough of that!

So lately I've gotten really into making these thin, crispy flatbread pizzas because they are so quick and easy to do. The calorie count will obviously change depending on how you make them, but mine tend to fall between 250-300 for half of a pizza. Basically all you do is construct a pizza on a piece of lavash bread. Other types of flatbreads would work fine (pita, naan, tortillas) but I've become a big fan of the whole wheat lavash by California Lavash. Half a sheet is only 60 calories.

Heat your oven to 375F. Spray each side of the flatbread with cooking spray, or brush lightly with olive oil (I find the olive oil is worthwhile even though it's a little more "expensive" calorie wise) and put directly on the rack for just a couple of minutes until it dries out a tad. Pile your toppings on, but don't go overboard. The crust is very thin and wouldn't support a mountain of heavy, wet ingredients very well. Then just pop right back in the oven (I often use a cookie sheet for the second round of baking) for a few more minutes. Total cook time is probably around 10 minutes, maybe with a tiny bit of broiling at the end if you want to brown your cheese some more.

Here are some pictures of some of the ones I've made:

porcini mushrooms, garlic, fontina cheese, truffle oil, and fresh thyme
7491249578_bc11068a58_c.jpg

cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
7652923062_f02855230d_c.jpg

mozzarella, feta, mixed tomatoes, kalamata olives, and spinach
7696174726_8640e4fbfb_c.jpg

veggie italian sausage, chili pepper, and arugula
7679694588_5257365d21_c.jpg

If there is one thing I love as much as I love pizza, it's sandwiches. I'm crazy about paninis so I'm always trying to find ways to make them for lunch. My paninis tend to fall between 350-450 calories, which is almost all from the bread. The filling is quite cheap and you can definitely get lower calorie bread to use, but I'm all about using good bakery-fresh bread when I make grilled sandwiches. I've used Ezekiel bread, regular sliced whole wheat, and various types of seeded multigrain breads all to great effect.

this one is tomato and gruyere on french bread, which is about 335 calories for the whole thing
7889450106_ac416a6865_c.jpg

very similar sandwich, but made with a seed bread
7968618426_f5601dc8eb_c.jpg

shredded veggie chicken w/ tomato sauce, spinach, and hatch chili marinated mozzarella
7889499836_a6bcea7959_c.jpg

broccoli and veggie chicken w/ asadero cheese - i made this one for lunch today and it was really delicious.
broccolipanini.jpg

Replies

• radeex
    Options
    Pocketmole, you're the best cook I know. Thanks for making delicious food!
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    these look delicious!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Bump!
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Pocketmole, you're the best cook I know. Thanks for making delicious food!

And you're the best human garbage disposal I know - thanks for eating the food!
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Those look amazing! Do you use dry or fresh porcinis?
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    These look fabulous!
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So good to hear someone speak up for GOOD food...just because we are cutting back doesn't mean we have to eat 'diet' food! As a health practitioner I try to seek out the good stuff...and have been making personal pizzas similar to yours for years...doubt my pics would look so good! lol and like you if I want chocolate I go the the store that has been making it from quality ingredients for 70 years! Sure I may get only 2 pieces of something but oh so worth it! Anyway thanks for sharing and for inspiring many, I'm sure! :o)
  • mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    so you have a panini press or do you have a kitchen trick?
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd like to give some of these flatbreads a try.
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Those look amazing! Do you use dry or fresh porcinis?

I use dried. The fresh are usually too expensive for me. :)
    so you have a panini press or do you have a kitchen trick?

I don't have a fancy panini press, but I have a grill pan with a weighted lid. I have to flip it to grill each side but the lid helps flatten it out like a traditional panini. Before I had that I used to just lay a cookie sheet on top with some canned goods in it to press it down. :)
  • kristi27278
    kristi27278 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you don't have to have a press to make a paninis, you can place the sandwich in a skillet, put a plate on top of it with a can of vegetables or soup on top to press the sandwich.
  • 16griffin
    Options
    yummy, bump!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    anoyher bump....will have to try some of these:smile:
  • ZombieMercy
    ZombieMercy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    those look sooooo delicious!
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    These all look very yummy,thanks for sharing :)
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump..for another day...but you can make me lunch any day!!! Thanks for the post and with your great ideas!!!! :happy:
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1grammie
    Options
    bump
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i could cry from the beauty of those pictures.

love your food philosophy girl!