Birth Control (Patch)

Options
2»

Replies

• fatgirlslimlady
    fatgirlslimlady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a hormone free IUD as birth control (but I think that it is recommended only for those who have had at least one pregnancy previously)

I'm not sure about the hormone free, copper IUDs, but I had a Mirena IUD inserted recently, so I know about that. The Mirena has a low level of progesterone, but it's localized to the uterus and very little circulates in the blood. I asked my doctor specifically about weight gain, and she said that there was really no association between the Mirena and weight gain, because the hormone is both localized and at a low level.

Furthermore, you do NOT need to have been pregnant before to get an IUD. I have never been pregnant, and I asked my doctor about it, but again she said that it's not a problem at all.

No birth control is perfect for everyone, so talk to your doctor! The doctor will know about side effects, like weight gain, and can discuss in detail which method will work best for you. Crowdsourcing on MFP isn't a bad idea, but you should really talk to your gynecologist.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I will research Nuva ring as that seems to be a popular suggestion as well (although the idea of it kinda freaks me out). Thanks again!
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The British Family Planning Association has some great information on all the different types of contraception available (in the UK at any rate). The web address is
    www.fpa.org.uk