MFP vs. HRM.. HRM WINS!!!

Options
Glad I'm not following MFP's calorie burn levels and logging calories burned from my Polar FT7 HRM instead!!! 45 minute walk at 3.0 pace says 358 calories burned based on my profile. My HRM says 265. And yes all my settings are correct in my profile nad my HRM. Thats a huge difference and If I ate back MFP's calories vs. my HRM calories, I certainly wouldnt be as successful.

The Jury says get yourself an HRM if you want "accurate" calorie counts for your excercise.

Replies

• AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% - It's crazy what the difference can be! For me it was cycling... MFP says 600+ HRM says less than 400!!! That's HUGE!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree, I bought the same one.
  • celb500
    Options
    I AGREE!!

it really halted my progress when i was logging my MFP cals burned and eating them back.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    love my HRM....if only i could find it now...
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there should be a disclaimer on this site ( and maybe there is and I havent seen it) that says calories burned are approximate.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not following MFP's calorie burn levels and logging calories burned from my Polar FT7 HRM instead!!! 45 minute walk at 3.0 pace says 358 calories burned based on my profile. My HRM says 265. And yes all my settings are correct in my profile nad my HRM. Thats a huge difference and If I ate back MFP's calories vs. my HRM calories, I certainly wouldnt be as successful.

The Jury says get yourself an HRM if you want "accurate" calorie counts for your excercise.

Absolutely agree. In some cases MFP was lower, some higher over the HRM. HRM for the win always.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Calories burned usually are an approximate. The site should get you in the ballpark.
  • ron81008
    ron81008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me when it is a high intensity workout my HRM is always higher than MFP!

I always adjust my time so that my calorie count on MFP equals my HRM!
  • Lori_Henz
    Lori_Henz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love the motivation from my HRM! If I have been at the gym and burned 460 calories, I keep going and get it to 500. I always try to see what I can push myself to. 1300+ burned yesterday.... I would not have done it without the Polar.

Best investments in my path to health: good running shoes, HRM and a gym membership!
  • jehuster
    Options
    Just got my HRM sunday and I really like it. I was logging from MFP and boy am I glad I don't have to anymore. :drinker:
  • jehuster
    Options
    Just got my HRM sunday and I really like it. I was logging from MFP and boy am I glad I don't have to anymore. :drinker:

And yes, its a Polar FT7 :bigsmile:
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    AGREE - I do not have a HRM yet but I have heard this from others before and "under log" my exercise to ensure I am not adding un-earned calories...still not exact obviously but I am seeing results!

MFP has to estimate, everyone will burn a diff amount of calories for the same exercise. Still a great tool, but have heard HRM can prove MFP to under as well as over estimate depending on the person. I'm still a MFP advocate though :)
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 (??) a couple weeks ago and love it. It also gives me a bit more calorie burn than MFP but I just log MFP exercise.

HRM are great to keep me motivated and workign out longer. I even wore it the other day mowing and was SHOCKED to see that mowing was such a burn and got my heart rate up higher than when I walk and for about 30 minutes longer.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. MFP Rocks and I wouldnt have a clue otherwise how to count calories.. ect. But for people who are struggling it may be because they are eating back too many calories. I know for the first few months, i wasnt doing as good as I am now.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You're right. I'm not losing or even trying to lose weight these days; however, when I was in the weight-loss mode, I would put in 85 to 90 percent of the calories MFP stated that I burned in order to offset the discrepancies.
  • jennielhawk
    jennielhawk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I no longer put my fitness information into MFP for the same reasons posted here. I have a fitbit and it says that I burn about 1/3 less calories then MFP.