Blisters from running - any solutions?

Options
2»

Replies

• jallison12
    Options
    I used to get blisters on my heel, at the achilles, when I played soccer. Lots of tape, socks, etc never worked. One time within 5 mins of starting a game my heels were bleeding and I needed to come off the field. I wore those neoprene ankle supports, which have the hole in the heel? I took it off and revolved it 180 so the heel hole was on top of my foot. My whole foot skin, from the arch up through the ankle is covered tightly with this neoprene and I've never had a problem since. The neoprene gets rubbed, not my skin.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Dual layer socks made from dryweave\dryfit.

Body Glide (or vaseline)

Duct tape (ok... someone's gonna ask... let me explain. I use this for marathons to avoid blisters on my heels. Duct tape applied directly to the skin, sticks real nice and provides a smoother surface which is less prone to friction. Just put a square or strip over the part that gets a blister... Best part is that human sweat is a natural solvent which over time loosens up the adhesive. The tape just peels right off when you are done.) Slip your sock on overtop.
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You could try using moleskin to prevent blisters. Just stick it on your hotspots (anywhere that feels like it's getting hot as a result of the rubbing/chafing.) Well, since you already know where your blisters are forming, you don't even have to wait until you get a hotspot.

If it doesn't stick, try taping it.

If you decide to pop them, you'll probably also want to remove the skin that formed the bubble since that's a good place for bacteria to thrive.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic so I had to go to the dr's when I got some bad blisters and I was told to NEVER pop a blister under any circumstances as you can get no end of problems from it, buy some medicated blister plasters to aid healing
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A couple of possible solutions:

• redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A couple of possible solutions:

Sorry, hit enter too quick.....

1) Good Running socks. I hate to pay that much, but they are worth it, and 2) Vaseline on the offending area (or Aquafor if you like that better).

I pop blisters, but I have no idea if that is the right thing to do. I just can't stand having them hanging around. :wink:
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I admire your dedication! I've only gotten blisters once (I have crazy tough calluses though) and I run about 5 times a week. I had blisters only once on the tops of my toes and they were caused by improper fitting shoes. I switched back to my regular shoes - saucony's - and have not had a single other blister since. Once you find a pair of shoes - and I know this is terrible advice since you've already switched shoes - but if you do find a pair of shoes that works for you - keep buying them!
  • mama73bear
    Options
    My feet blister easily too. I got myself some good socks and a pair of running shoes that are wider in the arch area of the foot (New Balance Wide Width) not a blister to be found since. Also, wearing Moleskin might help too. You can get it at any drug store near the bandages.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    get fitted for shoes at a running store. expensive, but worth it! your feet will thank you!
  • glonigan
    Options
    Best bet for me has been the use of body glide on the hot spots on my feet. I do run in feetures socks and have had no issues on my standard runs. When I have increased my mileage or on my long run, the body glide works perfect for me so far.
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One thing that I haven't seen anyone say yet is that your running shoes need to be AT LEAST a half size larger than your 'normal' shoes. Your feet will swell when running and you can get blisters because your shoes aren't big enough.Thorlo socks are awesome too.....but just about any type of compression sock should work great as well.
  • her77man
    her77man Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds very odd, but I had tried everything to prevent blisters and nothing worked-I heard on the Dr show to use hemorrhoid cream. It works great!
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, proper socks and Glide got me through my training last year. :happy:

And so far this year has been a success as well, but I'm just getting back into it. Good luck!
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bump! Lots of good info
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    glad i saw this. i never had a problem until i tried running with arch support insoles, and now my poor arches are all blistered. i'm thinking i should ditch the insoles and buy some fancy socks.