pros and cons of the eat clean diet?

Options
So I have been googling it and it sounds easy enough and pretty healthy. I was just trying to find some people who have done this to see if it was worth it or not? I mean eating organic is expensive right?

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Lets see, I grew up around asbestos, lead paint, no seat belts, no helmets, and drinking from the hose...Yep, Im still healthy says the doc.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I love the eat clean diet... and I try to eat clean for the most part but going all organic is not really what is about, its more about eating things that grow in the ground or come from an animal... unprocessed junk food is obviously not a included in that and that I think that is the whole "eating clean" idea!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm always a strong advocate for rinsing your fruits and vegetables before eating them.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Eating organic isn't that expensive if you do some shopping around. In our town the local health food store has a lot of organic locally grown produce for cheaper than the chain stores. Also, just check out all the chain stores, I have a walmart, Albertsons and Safeway in my town and when my bf and I have our shopping day we go to all three because diff. items are cheaper at each store.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    The cost fact is the only con. I was eating clean for a long time and I felt so much better. I've let that go for about a month now. Hopefully I can jump back in soon.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat the overpriced organic stuff. Just eat real food. Veggies, lean meat, fruits. Nothing from a package.

The real con in my opinion is prep time. Eating real food that needs to be prepared is always what keeps me from doing it more.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm always a strong advocate for rinsing your fruits and vegetables before eating them.

But it's so hard....

Think the government will do it for me?
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating clean doesn't have to be expensive at all.

When I think of clean eating, I take it to mean choosing whole foods (vegetables, fruit, wholegrain breads, meat if you're not veggie) and making sure, when you choose packaged foods, that you can pronounce the ingredients and there's not a bunch of chemicals involved.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    eating "clean" is not a necessary condition for health
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy/clean food isn't really all that expensive when you eat food in the proper portions - it all comes out in the wash.

The fact that people are actually referring to it as "the eat clean diet" is disturbing to me - they should just call it the "common sense diet".
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

But it's so hard....

They should. I mean, can we really be expected to have to wash our own food? Next, they'll be telling us they're not putting nutrition info on restaurant menus!!! After that, it's all downhill. I'll have to start brushing my own teeth all by myself.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I am going to try it for a few weeks to see how it makes me feel :)
  • hygienefairy24
    hygienefairy24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    depends on where your from. we live in delaware and organic food is hard to find and expensive!
  • meeper123
    Options
    I live i Alaska though so my options are a bit more limited, but I bet there are some frozen veggies that are just veggies :)
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options

But it's so hard....

That is funny!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I live i Alaska though so my options are a bit more limited, but I bet there are some frozen veggies that are just veggies :)

Pretty much any without a sauce should probably work. Just take a peek at the ingredients to be sure there's no hidden extras....
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have been clean eating for over 2 months now and I feel fantastic. I dont really follow ant "diet" I just eat things as close to nature as possible and have cut out all processed foods and sugar. The only thing I cant seem to replace is my coffee mate I love it i feel bad for using it but nothing makes my coffee taste better, and its only once a day so not too bad.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    organic is overrated. It's mostly imported and sprayed to prevent pests from attacking it after arriving in the country, unless you buy from local farmers. However, there are no cons to clean eating. It doesn't take rocket science to realize that cutting out processed foods is pretty awesome for one's health.
    Become a clean eating locavore (someone who buys and consumes locally produced goods)
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump!