Blueberry Cheese Toast!

Options
Drussander
Drussander Posts: 266 Member
Here's a nice tasty recipe that I used to eat as a kid that I use to switch things up for breakfast or a snack:

Ingredients:

1/8 to 1/4 cup Fresh Blueberries

1 slice of whole grain bread

1/4 c. cottage cheese (fat free, full fat, your choice)

Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Sweetener (optional)

Toast lightly bread then top with 1/4 c. cottage cheese place blueberries on top in your favorite pattern. Put back in toaster oven and broil top until cheese gets melty and blueberries get warm and juicy. I like to let my cottage get very melted and the blues cook right into it. YMMV. If I want something sweeter, I can sprinkle a little sweetener and cinnamon on it too.

Depending on what you use, can be as low as 159 cals per serving (I eat two for breakfast) and you get 12 grams of protein or more.

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Actually that does sound rather nice. Maybe breakfast in the morning. Thanks
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Indeed. Some people prefer to use whipped cream cheese, but I find that the rather mellow flavored cottage cheese really compliments the flavor of the fresh blueberries. Ricotta will also work. This is a very filling snack or breakfast and it gives you alot of nutrition for the calories.

Any kind of bread will work, but I like nuttier bread with backbone, such as whole wheat or Ezekiel, etc.
  • beersareus
    Options
    Wow! That sounds interesting. I'm definitely going to have to try it. Thanks! :smile:
  • tnladyvol
    Options
    bump