Breast feeding/ exercise/blocked milk duct ouch ouch ouch

Options
I think my tight exercise bras have caused me to get a blocked milk duct... This is so painful... I can't work out today.. This has never happened to me. How long does the pain last? What is best way to help with blockage?

Replies

• Tdonoho195
    Options
    massage the blockage in a warm shower. use warm compresses. nurse as much as possible.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    warm compresses and VERY gentle massage of the area...and unfortunately, more nursing. Been there...
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Massage massage massage.

I developed a few blocked ducts while working out and breastfeeding. My husband had to help massage some of the larger ones because I felt like fingers were gonna die with how much I had to rub them!
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters! First two babies, I had no nursing-related issues, but with baby three.. Man, mastitis, thrush, and two clogged ducts. Let the shower hit the area for a little while and then massage. Good luck mama!
  • at206155
    at206155 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing and my midwife told me to do some exercise to help relieve the blockage - the arm (the one on the same side as the boob that has the blockage) do a circular motion with your hand around your head - sit up straight and hold your sore boob with the other hand - It worked for me!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Also, try nursing in a different position--it may be more comfortable, for example, to nurse lying down on your side. Just don't stop nursing.
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Remember wherever the pain is aim baby's nose in that direction, so it might call for some ninja BF'ing skills :) I ended up just squeezing mine like a pimple, which I know someone will probably say is wrong, but it was instant relief!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes, nurse like crazy! Warm compresses helped me. I found that anything with underwire gave me plugged ducts.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    In addition to massage and continued feeding, I've also heard (from a friend as well as elsewhere) that using warm cabbage leaves inside the bra and replacing about every 2 hours can help. Maybe worth trying?

edited to include leaves and not just cabbage.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    Massage and alternate between cold and hot compresses and pump/breastfeed A LOT. I had plugged ducts about 4 or 5 times with my baby about a year ago and it was the most awful pain imaginable... :sad: Also, two of those times, after hours of pain, I found that I had a tiny barely noticeable little blister which was blocking the milk from coming out, so I popped it and INSTANT relief!! So make sure you don't have one too...
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ohhh thiss happen to me once. Nursing got rid of it :) hot shower would help ease it and massage! good luck
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Also what helped me was to stand up, bend at waist, and keep back parallel to the floor so that your breasts are hanging down. Sounds strange but do this in the shower after letting hot water hit it. Then massage. The gravity really helps.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    put cabbage in your bra, I never had a problem with it but I know many people that swear by it,
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    massage the blockage in a warm shower. use warm compresses. nurse as much as possible.
    This... and you certainly have my sympathy. Get better soon!!
  • webarr2003
    Options
    I feel your pain. It took mines two months to go aways, like everyone else has stated message and use a warm towl or heating pad.
  • abirkel
    Options
    Ugh that sucks...definitely nurse as much as possible, go bra-free as much as possible, massage, warm compresses....

I also took blocked ducts as a sign that I was trying to do too much and was getting run down....drink lots of fluids, rest, nap with your baby, eat nourishing foods...
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Blocked ducts suck, but mastitis is so much worse (had it twice). Everyone offered great advice- warm compresses, massage, and nurse!
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
    (covers blogged ducts, too)
  • familyof9
    Options
    This is most painful. I thought my doctor was crazy when he told me to take a cabbage leaf and place it between my breast and the bra. There is something in cabbage that actually sucks out the infection and lessens the inflamation, although for the life of me I cannot remember.My last little bambino to breastfeed is now a healthy 8year old. Good luck, It really does work without any meds.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice, and cabbage DOES contain an anti-inflammatory compound that will help you tremendously. Massage in the direction from the plugged duct toward the nipple. Do not be surprised if a solid material, either granular or spaghetti-like comes out of your nipple. This will not hurt your baby if he or she happens to suck it out.

If you begin to feel achy or develop a fever, get to a doctor immediately. You have the beginnings of mastitis, which can be serious.

I studied lactation literature to become a La Leche Leader. Everything everyone has said is spot on. Now get some rest, good nutrition, and pamper yourself. Plugged ducts are a sign of an overworked and overtired mommy. Good luck.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    They hurt so much! Breastfeed as much as possible and massage the duct while you're feeding, and try to express aswell if you don't get anough relief from that alone. Drink lots of water to flush it out and take some panadol (tylenol in the US?)