5k - need help

Options
I am training to do a 5k after being in-active for the past 1 1/2 years (had a baby and was only able to work out a bit while pregnant).

Anyway... i have been exercising 2-3x a week (spinning, zumba, elipticals, jogging/walking, insanity p90x - basically switching it up). I reeeallllly need to focus on my running since i want to make sure i finish and keep up with my team while running it.

What can i do to get better at running? i jog for a few mins and feel i can't anymore. I eat fairly well (have lost 7bls in 6weeks) and i really want to improve.

Any tips?

Replies

• dq_diva
    Options
    1) slow down
    2) try run:walk intervals and build on that (i.e. run 2 minutes walk 1 minute for 30 minutes, increasing your run interval when it's comfortable)
    3) Couch to 5k is a great program to get you "5k ready"

Sounds like your fitness level is great! Just be patient with running and it will get there :)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I downloaded an app to my iPod touch - GetRunning - that started me on intervals of walk/run and gradually increased the running and decreased the walking. (very similiar to C25K) I would suggest you start with something like that
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    After reading about the Couch-to-5-k programs, I downloaded Podrunner Intervals, which is (I think) a 9 week series of increasingly difficult run/walk/run music tracks. They're free. If you search for Couch25k, you're sure to find something which suits!

I've finally begun running outdoors and love it.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    keep doing the tredmill and keep working on going as far as you can without stopping and if you have to walk that fine but keep running after u catch your breath after a while you will see improvements...and then theres always the C25K
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just re-started running late last spring. I used an app on my iphone called 5k runner and I know it's available on other types of phones and devices as well. It's got a black and gold logo but I can't remeber who made it. The app is great because it takes you from couch to 5k in 8 weeks. It does it gradually and I was never sore which is probably why I quit so many times before. You start the app and you can play music, it will interrupt to tell you when to walk and when to run. It slowly builds up your time. Over the summer I've done the 5k, 10k and now I've started on the 21k but my schedule is getting nutty so we'll see how far I get with that one. Either way I'll keep running. Good luck and keep me posted on how you're doing.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    To get better at running, go out and run :)

Don't worry about speed or distance, just run for time. Start off REALLY slow, slower than you think, go for as long as you can, walk a minute or 2 and than run again. Keep that going for a set amount of time, say 10 mins. Each week add in more time. Running is a mental game, so if you can run for 10 mins, you can run for 12, run for 12 you can definatley do 14 mins, and so on.

Once you can run for 30 mins, start to run for longer intervals and cut down on your walking. When you can run for 30 min without stopping, see what distnce that brings you too and start increasing your distance. Increase distance by no more than 10% each week. But keep your pace down so you feel that you can do it forever.

Once you are comfortable with a 5k as your normal run, start training to increase pace...run intervals (sprints with recovery run) and tempo runs.

Keep cross training, it helps with your endurance and speed. Weight trainig is great too it helps to strengthen your legs.

There are many training schedules availible, just google them. I have heard great things about couch to 5k, but have not used it myself.

There will be really great days of running when it is easy and you will have days where every mile is torture. Don't worry if you have a bad run ( or 2 or 3, lol) everyone has them.

Most of all, get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.

If you are on a treadmill, set the incline to 1%...0% is a slight downhill, 1% mimics road running surface.
  • chrism14
    chrism14 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi - I also downloaded the C25K podrunner programme and would have to give 5 stars! It made it really easy, no need to worry about keeping track of times etc. Good luck :happy:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k! It got me running 3 miles in 6ish weeks!
  • chappappy
    chappappy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of great advice. The run-walk intervals are what a popular running magazine suggested for preparing for a run. The only thing I have to add is that the treadmill is a wonderful tool, just remember to keep it on a 2% incline. It helps your legs prepare for a road run. (2% is what I have been told and have read)
  • jratoms
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of C25K and like it
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K! It totally works, and it works. It also has phone apps you can get. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • hpoddan
    hpoddan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You just need to do it...don't run to keep up with others, run for yourself :) I have been getting better at my 5k times over the last year and in 2 1/2 weeks my goal is to be under 30 minutes (that would be another 2 minutes off of my current time and it would cut my time in half from the same race last year). I have been running no less than 5 miles at least 2 days a week. That way when I run 3.1 it is a walk in the park and I feel great when I'm done. I join races and teams with some serious runners (my uncle just completed his 2nd Iron Man) and we all go at our own pace and meet at the finish line. Honestly I'm always the last finished and I kind of like it because I have more people cheering for me than the first person in our group :) Just try to beat your own time is the best advice I can give. I get super excited when I do and I beat myself up and push harder training when I don't...it's all you can do!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    1) slow down
    2) try run:walk intervals and build on that (i.e. run 2 minutes walk 1 minute for 30 minutes, increasing your run interval when it's comfortable)
    3) Couch to 5k is a great program to get you "5k ready"

Sounds like your fitness level is great! Just be patient with running and it will get there :)
    this
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Best advice save yourself from shin splints go get good running shoes. It is well worth it and a heart rate monitor. I use a book called Heart rate training for dumbies it is the best book ever I love it ( might be out of print though idk) if you want any advice on heart rate training please feel free to send me a message
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,605 Member
    Options
    i have done alot of 5k's and did my first 1/2 marathon last year. sounds like you're getting alot of good advise. one thing that truly helped me and still does when i run? it's music.. i am very beat oriented. i have playlists and the music i listen to has to be the beat that i run on. when i was getting into it i was listening to the music on a treadmill and since i was running to the beat i was just running. by the time i looked down at the reading, i had run 5 miles and i didn't even know it. it was a slow pace back then and when i listen to that same music, it's too slow for me to run to now. music and a great pair of running shoes. i don't run in tennis shoes anymore, i wear vibrams.. but good running shoes are very important if you're trying to get back into the swing of things. have fun and don't beat yourself up.. it takes time.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

What can i do to get better at running?

Any tips?

A lot of MFP members wrote some great tips and advice. I respect what has worked for them and I am sure it could assist you.

Here is my two cents:

In order to get better at running you have to run more, a lot more. I don't know if my reply will assist you in the short term, but maybe after your race or your next goal.

In a nut shell, most elite runners start with the base phase (foundation). Base phase you would run slower and focus on higher mileage. I would go with the 10% rule when increasing. Base phase includes: long run, hill training, and lots of easy days. You will lose intensity and speed, but be assured the slower, high mileage weeks WILL make you faster. Base phase lasts for about three to four months. Base phase gets tedious after a while, but if you manage through it, I promise that you will reap the benefits.

After your three to four months of base phase, you will start the sharpening phase. Base phase training is generally between one to two months. Lower your mileage and focus on tempo runs, intervals, hill sprints, and fartleks. Your base phase training will prepare you for the speed! It important when you start working on speed work, you implement recovery and easy days. I would suggest V02 max workout at a local track in your area; Try a 200 - 400m V02 max sprint following through a 400 m easy jog repeat five to six times until you can work up to ten to twelve 400 m v02 max runs. I strongly suggest doing tempo runs. Tempo runs would be 80-85% effort. Again, mix speed with recovery and easy days; if you don't, expect injuries (this I will guarantee you).

The final phase is the peak phase. You mix the previous two phases into one. Your body will tell you what type of mileage you can handle with the speed/intensity. I personally peak for about two to four weeks out before the race.

Again this is a generally summary (and my personal opinion) that will help you be a "better, faster runner." In order to get faster, get ready to be super uncomfortable. In order to run fast you have to train your body how to handle the intensity. I personally found that weight lifting and cross training is great to implement during your "off season." But the bottom line is if you want to seriously get better at running and racing, focus solely on running. ( I have never heard of Paul Tergat, Mo Farah, Ryan Hall, or any other elite runner doing other type of exercises that made them faster other than running.)

Remember: You can only race as fast as you train. In essence, a person who trains by running a ten minute mile (during speed phase) will most likely not run a 21:00 5k. This means you must train your body to run at the same pace as you would in a race.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Happy running!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely start slow! When you don't feel like you can run any more, pick a spot (like a tree or a bush) and run to it. Make sure that you have good shoes!!! Add me as a friend if you'd like!!!
  • guerillamilk
    Options
    I used the Run5K app (similar to C25K) and finished a 5K in 38 minutes 2 days after completing the program. Totally works. But I agree with the previous poster, to get better at running, you have to get out there and run! I did make the mistake of running too much which actually stifled me for a bit and I had to take a few days break then was back on track. More than 3-4 days per week was too much for me. I was also doing 30DS every day until the last 2 weeks of the training. Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm a C25K grad and as long as you do what it says, you can do it. i did it 5x a week (not 3- 3x a week is minimum). and when it gets hard you just have to bear in mind that thousands of people have done this before you and succeeded, so there's no reason you can't.
    the most important thing is that you don't give up. you just keep on getting on with it.

good luck.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 76 and run at least 1 hour per day. Today I did 1hr v43 mins. I've told several people on MFP Start by walking to warm up then start an easy jog. Do that until your breathing gets hard, then wal again, when your breathing is back to normal, start jogging again. Start fairly slow and as your lungs improve you can speen up a little, but take you time with it. You will find pretty soon you are running more and walking less. Add me to your friend list and let me know how you are doing

Basil