Stepping on the scale, Morning or Night?

Options
Hello All!
Just joined MFP about 2 weeks ago & loving it so far =)

I was wondering at what time should you step on the scale... The reason I ask is because I can be up to 3-4lbs heavier at night than in the morning. My goal is to eat 1600 calories but I usually eat less, so I am not over-eating. I also drink tons of water so I believe this is water weight that is showing up on the scale. Anyone else struggling with this much flunctuation??

Thanks!
Jackie

Replies

• RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once every week right after you wake up
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I absolutely always weigh myself in the morning- preferably after going to the bathroom. There are going to be a lot of fluctuations throughout the day.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. and before i put on clothes.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am giving up getting on that damn scale..it LIES! 1 week ago I had lost 14 lbs and somehow in between eating less calories and exercising more that stupid thing had the nerve to tell me I had gained 4 back. NO!!!! LIES!!! No more..I have to go by the tape measure and the size smaller clothes I must go shop for :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Morning...but sometimes I get tempted and will jump on at night to compare the two.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Morning...but sometimes I get tempted and will jump on at night to compare the two.
    same time every week. Since I use the gym scale, that time is generally before workout, before dinner.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    same time every week. Since I use the gym scale, that time is generally before workout, before dinner.
    sorry! didnt mean to quote!!
  • bbanmen
    Options
    What I do, or atleast try to do... Although I tend to check it more than I should......
    Is have a weigh in day a certain day of the week. Only weigh yourself once a week (Sometimes you get dissapointed when you dont see the numbers changed), and definitley in the morning. Before a shower or whatever, but after using the washroom :P But, that is just my opinion :)
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Honestly it really doesn't matter as long as your consistent with when you do it, use the same scale, wear the same clothes (or not), etc. That said, you will always be at your lightest in the morning as you've just fasted for 6+ hrs (depending how long it's been since you last ate and how much sleep you get). I actually do both daily but I manage expectations as I know the scale will be all over the place. Lastly, if you want a better gauge start taking measurements and repeat this every couple of weeks. I measure my neck, shoulder, biceps, forearms, wrist (who knew they can shrink), chest, abs (over belly button), love handles (if you have 'em), waist, hips, thighs, knee, calf and ankle. Make a spread sheet to keep track and add up all of the numbers. Enjoy as the inches come off! If you weighed exactly the same in 3 months but dropped 2-3 pant sizes how would you feel about yourself? Pretty good I bet! :wink:
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    for me... its Monday morning, after waking up, after using the bathroom, no clothes.
    More for consistency than anything else.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I weigh ~4-5lbs more at night. My weigh day though is every Friday morning, same time and just after I step out of bed.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dang. I weigh 3 times a day. I like to know what my body is doing all the time.
  • JMull1977
    Options
    Take care of my morning evacuation, then strut out to the scale in my boxers, and I only weigh in once a week.
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in the morning. The day weight is unreliable because the amount we eat varies, but first thing in the morning you hasn't eaten for 7 or 8 hours, removing this variation
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    For me it's every Thursday morning, naked and after a wee lol.