Weight vs inches lost

Options
Just started working out in last 2 weeks. Had initially lost 2lbs then another 3 but now I have gain back 4 of the pounds, however, I did my measurements and I lost an inch on my neck, 1 1/2 on my waist and 3 on my hips. I would expect to see a loss on the scale not a gain. I know I am gaining muscle but would like to see the scale move along with my inches. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    my body does that also. I would rather lose inches than lbs cause then i would be buying smaller clothes! Good job on the inches lost!
  • GemmaMcIntosh
    Options
    I would say you've put on the weight in Muscle which weighs more than fat. At least your measurements are down, which is the main thing really.
    When I have had prevoius assessments at the gym my weight had hardly been moving at all but my measurements were shrinking - so I startef MFP to get the weight down and just had my latest assessment at the gym - I have finally lost weight and my body fat % is down but my measurements are up! Weird! All the instructor could think of is that my body must be toning and shifting into a different shape.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "Problem"??? You're winning! No one in the world knows how much you actually weigh. They only know how you look. Less inches means less of you, which means you're looking better, both to yourself and to others. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing because it's working. Eventually, the scale will catch up. But less inches>less weight by a long shot.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "Problem"??? You're winning! No one in the world knows how much you actually weigh. They only know how you look. Less inches means less of you, which means you're looking better, both to yourself and to others. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing because it's working. Eventually, the scale will catch up. But less inches>less weight by a long shot.

Thank you, Mr. Pul, for posting this. It's exactly what I've been needing to hear!
  • ZenAmante
    ZenAmante Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I prefer when I've lost inch it means my body is getting smaller and thats what I want I could care less if I was 200 lbs in I didn't have a pouch of fat in front of me or huge thighs but that's just me
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's not something I would call a problem. People don't see the face of my scale; they see my body (covered in clothing).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It takes consistent effort for 12 weeks to actually build muscle. This gain is just water. As a woman, your cycle will cause you to have ups and downs. It's going to frustrate the hell out of you... but we all have to live with it. Just keep pushing on.
  • karenkoen
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just the encouragement I needed!