best way to increase running?

Options
I suck at running. I always have but I am trying to overcome this. What is the best way to increase endurance? Do I add distance or speed first. I am finally not feeling like I'm going to die to run a mile. I am not too easily running the mile because I am sweating my a** off and my HR is still increased. My goal is to be able to run 2 miles within at most 20 min. right now I run a mile in 11 min. i dont want to injure myself (have already had bursitis in left hip twice and sprained the right one once) this go around. any advice is helpful considering I like the eliptical more than running.

Replies

• Netter
    Netter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start the Couch to 5K program.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Start the Couch to 5K program.

Ditto - I started it a few weeks ago and am up to running for 5 minutes straight. Check it out:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • shawley1
    Options
    Are you running indoors or outdoors?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yep C25K! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

When I started I couldn't even run for a minute straight. Now I run for over 30 minutes straight & building. It blows my mind!
    I recommend working on stamina first, and then worry about speed later.
  • tracylp
    Options
    I am running on a treadmill. Thank you all. I will look into the progra.
  • supaphly42
    Options
    Always work on endurance before speed. And always add mileage slowly. The best rule I've come across is the 10% rule... it says to not add more than 10% distance to any run, or more than 10% distance to your weekly total (so if you ran 10 miles one week, you can run 11 the next).

It's just a guideline, of course. I think you'd be ok to add 1/4 mile instead of 1/10 to a mile run (an extra lap if you're using a standard track). But the key is to not try too much too quickly. I've learned that the hard way, so learn from my mistakes, haha (when adding too much mileage too quickly, ended up with so much knee pain I couldn't walk, but when I added slowly and gradually, I eventually got myself up to 20 mile runs).

So take it easy, and stick with it! Oh, and make sure to have the proper shoes, go to a running store to get fitted (they'll check your stride as well as size).
  • sgmitchem
    sgmitchem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love the Coach to 5K plan.. I'm using it to train for a 1/2 Marathon. Its a great program and really works for getting you up to running a 5K.
  • shawley1
    Options
    I asked becuase I run three- four miles easliy outside in 30-40 min BUT I can't stand the treadmill. Even with TV, Music, anything! I find it much harder to run inside/treadmill...but that all depends on the weather in Michigan, where I am from. Might give a little bounce to your step if you tried outsided- seeing how you already know you are capable!!! Good luck!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I asked becuase I run three- four miles easliy outside in 30-40 min BUT I can't stand the treadmill. Even with TV, Music, anything! I find it much harder to run inside/treadmill...but that all depends on the weather in Michigan, where I am from. Might give a little bounce to your step if you tried outsided- seeing how you already know you are capable!!! Good luck!

I agree with this -- the treadmill does give you an awful lot of room to mentally psych yourself out of running.
    I've countered this by being mean to myself when I think about quitting: "Are you out of breath?" No. "Does anything hurt?" No. "Then, wtf is your problem, you pansy?" and I keep on running. :laugh: "I want to stop" just isn't a good enough reason for me to quit. Plus I'd be so disappointed in myself if I did stop. I also tend to repeat the Jillian Michael's mantra: "Unless you puke, faint, or die keep going." And I haven't puked, fainted, or died yet trying to reach a running goal. :tongue:
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    when i first started running i couldnt even run around the block, 3 months later i ran an 8k on saturday and actually got a third place trophy, go figure. i did not use any program. i started by running as far as i could and then i would sprint and walk 50-100 yards for a few miles. when i say sprint, i mean i would run as fast as i could for 50 steps ( i would actually count the steps to push myself) and then walk until i caught my breath. not only was it a great calorie burn it was great interval training which is all the buzz at the gyms right now. it had been so many years since i had ran as fast i could it was a little intimidating but try it, it is actually fun!! when i am on the treadmill at the gym i do incline running, 1 min at 5%, 1 min at 8%, 1 min at 12% and then 1 min at 15%, rest for 1 min. i do this twice and then run 1 min sprints (i pick one incline percentage per week) as fast as i can for 1 min then rest 1 min, repeat x 5 times. this routine is what the bootcamp class at my gym uses, very effective in gaining endurance. running on flat ground feels like a breeze after these!! good luck.
  • tracylp
    Options
    I definetly beat myself up verbally for wanting to quit, doesn't matter if its the treadmill or the eliptical. I will try a run as soon as the ice is off the ground. Chicago is really cold right now.