I broke my foot I need a w/o plan

Options
I need a ab and upper body workout plan for the next month! Anyone want to help me out? I can't put any pressure on my foot so I need a seated plan.:embarassed:

Replies

• Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Punches will drive your heart rate up as cardio and if you do them with weighted gloves, it can count as an upper body workout. A lot of ab exercises are done lying down (like crunches and leg lifts) so you could probably still do those. Seated ab twists are good and so is an ab move where you sit on a chair with your knees together. Then place your hands next to your hips and lift your butt off the chair. The move uses your arms to push and your abs to stabilize.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat, I have a stress fracture so no running for me:frown: Been doing a lot of biking (road, spin and recumbant) then of course floor work and weights. If you go to a gym ask one of the trainers they're pretty good at developing work out plans to accomodate injuries. Are you casted or splinted? Swimming is non-weight bearing and great cardio. Good luck, hope you heal up soon:smile:
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    rev abs is a good workout and its mostly floor work, there are also many many ab exercises that you can do. If you message me I can help you with some, or you can google abdominal exercises and you will find a ton. Also as far as arms you can do push ups and chin ups or if you have resistance bands or weights there is a ton you can do :) If you go to a gym there are lots of non weight bearing machines... Hope this helped
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine, maybe?
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have to have foot surgery next month so I feel ya... My plan: lots of mat/core pilates. That's as far as I've gotten so far...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    just about any of the upper body machines in a gym should be ok... rule of thumb... if it hurts, don't do it... (meaning the foot of course)
  • batbrd
    Options
    I had ankle reconstructive surgery so I'm in the same boat. My workout plan is as follows:

Week:
    M- Walk w/ crutches -30 minutes (harder than it seems)
    T- Sit down ninja fighting (get a couple low weight free weights and pretend to fight ninjas that stole your dog)
    W- Abs (crunches/scissor kick/bicycle kicks) [Strength: Arms - free weights, resistance bands]
    Th - Walk w/ crutches- 30 minutes [Strength: Back - Pullups, modified pushups, reverse under table pullups]
    F- 15 minutes chair cardio from online video and also yoga
    Sat - Abs (crunches/scissor kicks) [Strength: Arms - curl bar, free weights, all sitting down of course]
    Sun- Rest

DO NOT: Try to swim or try a rowing machine. Swimming will still strain your foot, when you use your feet, while kicking you are thrusting your feet. When using a rowing machine/kayaking you also use the strength of your legs. Trying to perform rowing without the help of your legs creates a tremendous amount of stress on your lower back rendering you more disabled.

Remember, even though these workouts I use don't stress my foot, I still listen to it no matter what. If my foot begins to hurt for some reason, I'll stop my workout. As much as I don't want to, clearly I'm doing something to bother it. Wait a day, and let it rest. Ultimately thats what you need anyways if you are trying to let it heal.

Please PM me if you'd like more information. ALL of this I do with no weight on my ankle. Hope it helps and don't get discouraged, you are more than capable of doing it :)
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You can do most of your upper body strength training from a seated position, with either dumbells or resistance bands. In the case of working your chest, you either do dumbell flys or by pulling on the bands .
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. :( I severely shattered my right calcaneus (heel of foot) and disrupted my ankle mortise w/widening lateraly ct head in May of last year and I now have a plate and 9 screws in my right foot. While your bed/couch ridden it can be VERY Frusterating but you can do pilates, free weights for chest/back and ab workouts, just listen to your body. Thats what is most important... wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • jnrinwa
    jnrinwa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have stress fractures in both ankles and have been doing the arm and core exercises from the 30ds. I got the stress fractures from the cardio jumping parts... I sub out the standing cardio for punching, arm windmills, and leg lifts. It is still a pretty good workout...(videos are on Youtube). A lot of people suggested searching for wheelchair cardio. I haven't found anything free Online, but there are Dvds you can get. Good luck!
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had ankle reconstructive surgery so I'm in the same boat. My workout plan is as follows:

Week:
    T- Sit down ninja fighting (get a couple low weight free weights and pretend to fight ninjas that stole your dog)
    W- Abs (crunches/scissor kick/bicycle kicks) [Strength: Arms - free weights, resistance bands]
    Th - Walk w/ crutches- 30 minutes [Strength: Back - Pullups, modified pushups, reverse under table pullups]
    Sat - Abs (crunches/scissor kicks) [Strength: Arms - curl bar, free weights, all sitting down of course]
    Sun- Rest

LOL- sit down ninja fighting! I thinks that sounds like a super fun workout :) Looks like you have a great plan, I may have to steal some of it, especially the ninja fighting...
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    From what I've heard, swimming can do a great deal when you're out with an injury, and it's fun.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You can check out YouTube for Tiffany Roth chair workout! Sorry about your foot, hope it get's better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Just eat right while you heal. You will continue to lose.
  • aadutton
    Options
    Are you on crutches?

I broke my fibula about 2 years ago and had, at the time, recently lost significant weight, thanks to a fairly good diet but mostly exercising. I was worried I'd gain a bunch back, depressed about my situation so started eating poorly and not getting on the scale. By the time I got the cast off and the courage to step on the scale, I hadn't gained a bit, and credit having to be non-weight bearing on crutches. My arms burned most of the time worse than any workout, and it's great core work.

Looks like others gave some great advice, but from experience--being on crutches for an extended period is a workout all on its own.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was in a walking cast for a broken foot last summer and ended up doing a lot of weight lifting with dumbbells, band resistance, pushups (on my knees), leg lifts from a hands and knees position, crunches, etc.

Talk with your orthopedist about limitations (if you can swim or not, etc.) and go from there. Good luck and hope you recover quickly! :)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    there are DVD's for people with leg/foot injuries. One is chair dancing. They give you full cardio and some deal with weights. One thing you don't want to do is injure your shoulders with weight from a sitting position. Make sure you do each exercise with correct form and don't try to accomodate just because you are sitting. I think the DVD's would be the best for now.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Week:
    Sun- Rest

LOL- sit down ninja fighting! I thinks that sounds like a super fun workout :) Looks like you have a great plan, I may have to steal some of it, especially the ninja fighting...

i'm with you! this is a great idea!