Walking away the weight?

Options
I was curious if there was anyone out there who has lost weight simply by walking every day? If so, how much did you walk and how much weight have you lost? I would love to hear some success stories, they keep me motivated!

Replies

• leveller4
    Options
    Walking about four times a day and drinking a gallon of water will do it. I lost at least 5 lbs.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well I'm way older than you and I heard on a talk show a long time ago that if you would add just a mile walk to your daily routine that you would lose 10 lbs in a year doing nothing else. I said "well, I can certainly do that" which I did. The main thing for me was that 1 mile lead to 2 and then the weight came off even faster. As with most things being consistent is key.

All I know is that most everyone can walk. It doesn't cost anything and it is very beneficial.

Cindy
  • jenn0113
    Options
    I just want to say that I hope it works. That is what I am doing too. There are a few ladies at my job that walk at lunch everyday and the difference has been amazing!
  • CLebon
    CLebon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I trained for a 28 mile breast cancer walk a few years ago, I was the fittest I'd been in years. I worked up to about 25 miles a week but no other exercise and I didn't diet at all. It took 6 months to feel the benefits. Then I broke my leg and it took 4 weeks to lose the benefits lol. :(

Walking is fantastic for losing weight, toning up and feeling good.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone. I'm doing the three mile walk at least every other day. It's the only routine I've added to my exercise so far. However, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm also counting calories. On the days I walk, I take in about 1500 to 1600 calories. I'm also drinking a ton of water! In a month I've lost 8 lbs.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    Hi....I walk on the treadmill and with eating healthy I have lost 15 lbs. in 4 1/2 weeks. I keep an incline of 5.0 and a speed of 3.0. I only do it 2-3 times a week but I am on my feet 40hrs a week with my job and i'm sure if I had a pedometer it would register more than a mile walked. My goal is to use the treadmill for the entire workout playlist that i have loaded onto my i-pod, that is total of 1hr 5 min. Right now I do it for 40 minutes. Good Luck!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing guys, losing the weight has nothing (directly) to do with walking, or running, or swimming, or tai chi, or what ever exercise you do.

Losing the weight is simply a function of eating calories at a deficit, and eating the proper types of nutrients in the proper amounts every single day. Exercise can increase your cardiovascular health, exercise can increase muscle definition, and exercise calories can burn fat, but all of these are just functionally equivalent to burning more calories, it's all about the calories. Theoretically, if you eat the EXACT right amount of calories and the EXACT right type of nutrition at the perfect times every day, then you wouldn't need any exercise at all and you could still lose the weight, although in reality, that's extremely difficult and would probably leave you (if you did, in fact, lose the weight) what some call "skinny fat" where you have lost the fat, but your heart is still weak, your muscles are still atrophied, and your cardio pulmonary system and bones are still below accepted adult standards. While it's still better than being fat fat, skinny fat isn't a heck of a lot better long term.

So will walking allow you to lose weight? Sure, the same way any other low-moderate cardiovascular activity will, but it's still all about eating right.
  • Trakandrose
    Trakandrose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing guys, losing the weight has nothing (directly) to do with walking, or running, or swimming, or tai chi, or what ever exercise you do.

Losing the weight is simply a function of eating calories at a deficit, and eating the proper types of nutrients in the proper amounts every single day. Exercise can increase your cardiovascular health, exercise can increase muscle definition, and exercise calories can burn fat, but all of these are just functionally equivalent to burning more calories, it's all about the calories. Theoretically, if you eat the EXACT right amount of calories and the EXACT right type of nutrition at the perfect times every day, then you wouldn't need any exercise at all and you could still lose the weight, although in reality, that's extremely difficult and would probably leave you (if you did, in fact, lose the weight) what some call "skinny fat" where you have lost the fat, but your heart is still weak, your muscles are still atrophied, and your cardio pulmonary system and bones are still below accepted adult standards. While it's still better than being fat fat, skinny fat isn't a heck of a lot better long term.

So will walking allow you to lose weight? Sure, the same way any other low-moderate cardiovascular activity will, but it's still all about eating right.

I completely agree with you, which is why I have modified my caloric intake. My goal is to be healthy AND lose weight. I want to try and walk 2-3 miles a day to keep myself fit and tone up. I was just wondering if walking alone, along with a healthy diet could aid in healthy weight loss, without having to hit the gym and run on a treadmill every day.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    on my walking video we actually use hand weights to get the arms involved as well. i LOVE it... I'm in love lol
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I completely agree with you, which is why I have modified my caloric intake. My goal is to be healthy AND lose weight. I want to try and walk 2-3 miles a day to keep myself fit and tone up. I was just wondering if walking alone, along with a healthy diet could aid in healthy weight loss, without having to hit the gym and run on a treadmill every day.

It's marginal, by that I mean, it will help a little, depending on how fast you walk, how rough the surface is you walk on (I.E. walking on a flat treadmill won't do nearly as much as walking a hilly, off-road track in a windy day). Doing higher difficulty exercises will help your body far more than just walking. But for some, especially those of us who are older or are starting out and have a very low level of cardiovascular health, it's a great start. I will say this though, if you want to continue being healthy long term, and you are young enough (which you are) and you have no other obvious medical conditions, walking should only be a stepping stone to long term good health.

Basically I'm saying, walking is better than nothing, but harder exercise will be much better than walking.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    By using MFP, changing my eating habits and walking--sometimes with three pesky little doggies:heart: --I have lost almost 55 lbs. since April 2009. :drinker: :drinker: I started strength training exercises at the beginning of January (2010). Walking is FREE--all you need are appropriate shoes and the right clothing for the weather in your area.

During the summer and fall months, I was doing up to 28 miles per week. Since about November, my mileage has dropped, but I have picked up the slack by using an indoor cardio exercise option. I have a Gazelle, which is also a good source of cardio exercise, and being inside using it beats the heck out of walking in the rain and cold--though that still happens because of those pesky little doggies previously mentioned.:bigsmile:

As Banks (SHBoss) said, walking is not "magic"--but it CAN significantly contribute to improved health and weight loss in combination with other positive steps.

Good luck!!