Can't... Sleep...

Options
I don't know if it's related or not, but ever since I started working out more and changing my diet, my sleep schedule has totally changed. I end up lying awake all night, even though I feel exhausted, and when I finally pass out it's almost 5 am... Running on so little sleep makes me want to skip workouts, and the whole thing is a vicious cycle. So frustrating!

Has anyone else experienced this same kind of insomnia? Any advice?

Replies

• BrittneyOhhh
    Options
    What time are you working out at? If you're working out a few hours before bed then that's probably causing your insomnia. I have had that before. It's really common to not be able to fall asleep after working out a few hours before bed if your body isn't used to it.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Has anyone else experienced this same kind of insomnia? Any advice?

Yes - my viscous circle was even worse though. Can't sleep so I exercised more trying to tire myself out, which strangely made me sleep less ...

Advice? Sorry, no, I'm still suffering
  • pettyms
    pettyms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually work out mid- to late afternoon, and I'd think that would be enough time for me to readjust, but thanks for the advice! I'll try to bump my workouts back a little further.
  • brendant1
    brendant1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try magnesium boost pills. Relaxes muscle tension, supports quality sleep, soothes nervous tension & stress.
    I have been taking for a while and sleeping like a baby.
  • pettyms
    Options
    @Wonderob -- I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this, but I'm sorry that we're both steal dealing with it (or trying) to no avail.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I feel that! increased workouts have affected my sleeping too. Wish I had an answer.. Also I work nights so that may be a contributing factor
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Same deal here. I'm up right now because I can't sleep! Tonight though, I think it was the 2 iced coffees I had in the late afternoon that are keeping me up. So guess what I'm doing to keep me from snacking? I am designing a skirt pattern and making it tonight to wear tomorrow ;-)

I love being crafty! It helps me with my isomnia most of the time.
  • pettyms
    Options
    @gayje -- Wow! Congratulations on being so productive... Seems like you're dealing with the sleepless nights really well :)
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    If you find the answer, please clue me in. Sheesh, this week has been especially horrible for me as well, working 2 graves and 2 swings a week and working out is brutal
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I try ;-)

Doing something I love keeps my mind occupied and that's a plus since I loooove to snack at night - especially on raw almonds!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I noticed I sleep less and lighter when I'm overtrained. Like after being sedentary for months I start going to the gym and do the weights and push myself even a little. Bam, my muscles tremble and I cannot sleep properly - takes forever to fall asleep and I wake up 2-3 hours earlier in the morning, despite being tired. (And I'm the type who normally falls asleep like seconds after hitting the pillow). Gets better fairly quickly though.
    Don't know if it's a common thing or what you have, just a thought.
  • viclaw81
    Options
    I used to be a terrible sleeper, i.e. tired, go to bed, not sleep and be awake for hours or fall asleep as soon as I went to bed only to wake at 3am and not get back to sleep. I now have fantastic sleeps (the majority of the time) and the only difference I've made is changing my exercise to first thing in the morning.

I've got 2 young kids so I need to get up around 6.15 - 6.30 to squeeze in exercise before work/school/nursery. It's really hard to get the motivation to get up some mornings but it's soooo worth it. Exercise is done before you've really started the day, you feel fresh and awake and come around 10pm, I'm ready for bed. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I'm not tired but I still aim for about that time to go to bed and maybe be sleeping for around 11pm.

Hope you find a routine that works for you soon. Not sleeping is such a pain!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    a hot choc a snack and 2 sleeping tablets i find help.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    UGH........Im with ya. I havent slept good or even near normal (WTFever THAT is) in years...../maybe 4 hours a night MAX.

HOWEVER.........since Ive been working out at night (which is NOTHING compared to what most of you do) I sleep even less. Im up at 2.230 every freakin morning. I work at 6 home at 3. Evenings IS my time to work it. I only workout about 40 minutes and for this chubby but incredibly cute ol broad........thats pretty damn good.

Im hope my system will adjust in time but I aint holding my breathe
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible insomnia, would lay awake worrying about insignificant bull**** for hours, 1 night I lay awake worrying about worrying... It took some work but I developed an "off switch" a repetative day dream that I occasionally change around so it ends differently and im asleep in minutes, since ive started exercising im asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sigh,, me too, go to bed at 11 and up at 2!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yes. That did happen, but pretty soon that will be over--it only took about a week of making myself go to bed and sleeping for an hour at a time and making myself stay in bed to fall asleep again. This has happened about 4 times during the first year of this lifestyle change--eating better, exercising after not for so many years, and losing the dreaded extra me.

The human body is pretty amazing at change if you just let it. You can push and push and then one day it finally says, "Okay-this is a new routine." I think it is just one of those things that you just have to "let go" of, work through and come out smiling on the other side.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep either, but I think it's just a bad habit for me.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I can live with it - gives me a bit more free time to do some stuff on the computer etc.

However.... I constantly read that sleep is important for weight loss, muscle building, general health etc. So although it doesn't affect me as far as I know, it could be affecting me in ways in which I'm unaware

The sleep/weight loss thing is a bit of a red herring I think. Sure if you're awake you're more likely to be eating, but if you're awake and NOT eating then you're surely burning more calories, right?
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard shift. My sleep schedule is crazy. But with little sleep I feel fine. Must be the working out. Peace