Eating out disappoints AGAIN! - BOYCOTT

Options
I don't eat out a lot, mainly to save money. The last couple of times I've eaten out, the food was NOT GOOD!! Over cooked, dry chicken, Chinese buffet that was ALL moosh, egg roll that was hard as a rock, hubby got an undercooked burger.....

I think I'm gonna BOYCOTT eating out for the REST OF THE YEAR!!!! I think my healthy eating taste buds no longer like the crap food in restaurants! I'd be better off buying the ingredients and cooking a nice meal at home!!!

My only exceptions will be Subway and pizza..... They never fail to disappoint! :P

Replies

• iron93
    Options
    Preach on!
    Yea I agree with this. At least you know what exactly goes into your meals.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    for me: it's eaither going to rather pricy restaurants or (rarely) getting chain fast food burger/ pizza.
    the cheap menu places or no brand fast food places are worse then the worst sandwich I can prep at home.
    But I guess that is because I'm quite picky, I budget my cals, so I expect the best calorie / taste ratio I can get :laugh:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i also agree. I find it difficult to eat healthy when going out. Plus I am VERY anal about my food and nobody cooks it like I like it anyway, LOL.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I ate out this week too, and my whole daily calorie intake was almost used up.........
    Christmas times seems a great idea to aim for my next meal out.
  • icreate
    Options
    I don't eat out a lot, mainly to save money. I approved this message :)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    yep
    i'm with you there.
    (and as a veggie my selection is sooo limited)
    most times I'd rather have beans on toast.
  • litterbitt
    litterbitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I tried my hand at raising my own chickens and turkeys the last year.... very different texture than store-bought! ...and delicious.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I couldn't give up eating out. I love meeting my friends for Sunday brunch, or going to a nice restaurant for someone's birthday dinner.

But I think it depends *where* you eat out. The restaurants and cafes near me use proper fresh ingredients cooked by proper chefs, so it's like eating at home only better. Junk food places are a different matter - if that's all I had to choose from I wouldn't eat out ever.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I hate it when you go out and your meal is mediocre, at best. These guys are supposed to know what they are doing. it is certainly a pet peeve of ours. We have now founf somewhere nice and tend to go there on the occasions we do go out.
  • humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    urgh yea, being a vegetarian sucks when it comes to eating out!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My only exceptions will be Subway

If you are going to boycott eating out anywhere, please make it Subway. That place is disgusting and there is a lot better sub places that you could go I'm sure.

I ate out yesterday at a local Mexican Joint.. Two steak tacos with lettuce, cheese and sour cream plus a margarita.. it was perfect.

I generally don't eat at fast food places, but eating out at sit down restaurants. Everything is made fresh and there are always a ton of choices... so no matter what I'm craving, I'll find something!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that there a lot of restaurants that are no more than processed food assemblers/heater uppers… I avoid those. The Houston fast food places I eat are : 1) Subway - they will make a salad out of any sandwich I want, and the calorie/nutrition counts are on the wall! 2) Freshii - good stuff! 3) El Rey- there grilled chicken salad is simply awesome. Great fresh ingredients, and grilled chicken, zucchini and peppers. 4) Tree beards. Only downtown, but the chilled shrimp salad is great.

All of these places offer a meal for less than $10. I don't have much choice but to eat out most days for lunch, so I have to hope fast food places continue on the trend to have full disclosure on the nutrition/calorie counts, and go for more nutrition packed foods.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have some really lousy restaurants where you live.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing!! After a month of eating healthier, when I go out I find I don't like the taste of restaurant food anymore! Especially fast foods or buffets. Everything tastes like crap, or is mooshy, or not cooked right or worse, I can TASTE the grease. Then when you eat it you feel all crappy and bloated and sick.

It is much better just making the same stuff you go out for at home! Tastes better too. :)

The only places I find that I can stand the taste for are Wawa, Chipolte, Panera Bread (just wish I had one closer D: ), Chick-fil-a (their grilled chicken is so good), Subway, and my fave pizza place Luigi's... they just got veggie burgers!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Your Subway must be really different to ours (in Britain) as I keep seeing it mentioned on MFP as a healthy eating option. Here I'd definitely class them as junk food - stodgy doughy bread, suspicious processed meats, and at least twice as big as any person needs a sandwich to be! No idea how many calories must be in one of those foot long things, but it must be A LOT.
  • alizon15
    Options
    Oh I love eating out , we have some lovely restaurants near us using good quality products at a good price; have to agree regarding chain restaurants tho , most of their food is pre prepared and re heated , and yuk!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It would seem to me you're doing it wrong. I'm rarely disappointed with our local gems, chains yes, but locally owned and operated restaurants where the owners and staff take pride in quality product & service? Rarely.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find the chain resteraunts to be sucking majorly lately so I've stopped going to them. I've only been eating at small localy owned places and the food is much better.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I agree, many places are below par. But when you find a bit of a gem, it's always worth it - there are some beautiful little restaurants and cafes in my hometown, and especially in my partner's village as they're all small family-run independents. If any MFP-ers are in the Oxfordshire area you HAVE to try Pierrepoints in Goring. Best food I've ever had.

But yes. Usually a pricey calorie-fest that really wasn't worth the £ or lbs.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My only exceptions will be Subway and pizza..... They never fail to disappoint! :P

I'm wondering why you would choose to eat at places that never fail to disappont.