Grilling Fish Sticks

Options
Can you put your Fish Sticks under a grill, because I don't really want to fry them. I try to limit my fried foods as much as possible. So can you do this? Or is the fish not cooked enough if I would do this..

It sounds so silly, but I want to try this. :D

Replies

• _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    If you're talking about the frozen, breaded ones, I generally bake those. I don't know about grilling. I think they'r already fully ooked though. Not sure
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    They are highly processed foodstuffs - they will not grill at all, in fact they will fall apart.

You are much better off purchasing real fish, using some foil, fresh herbs and seasonings, some sliced lemon and lime and doing a pouch and grill the real thing.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you mean fish fingers i.e fish in breadcrumbs, yes they will grill perfectly well.
  • FlightlessbirdG
    Options
    Sorry, yes I meant the ones in breadcrumbs. I think for a student with a really busy shedule and tight budget, It's much easier and cheaper to buy these things premade. But I'll def. try to make them from fresh fish.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes I meant the ones in breadcrumbs. I think for a student with a really busy shedule and tight budget, It's much easier and cheaper to buy these things premade. But I'll def. try to make them from fresh fish.

You have to be really good at looking for the sales. If the fish is 'fresh-frozen', without any preservatives and chemicals, that is just as healthy as fresh.

You can get tilapia, whiting, salmon, etc... Take the cost of a package, divide it by the number of pieces in the package.. and that is how you truly break down savings.

My daughter is a college student and is able to get real foods even on a budget..... I have faith in you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly well most of the time - but I am partial to a fish finger sarnie! In the UK it's possible to get healthy ones (the last ones I bought were in the Jamie Oliver range) which don't have all the additives. I grill them, use wholemeal bread, and add some strong cheddar.

In my impoverished student days I used to pretty much live on fish - it can be very cheap if you look around and don't just focus on salmon and cod. It freezes really well too. A staple used to be fish pie made with off cuts, which were so cheap it was unbelievable.