suggestion for a more reliable exercise calculator

Options
Hello all! Can someone suggest a more reliable calculator? The one on MFP gives higher results than I've seen anywhere! Thanks!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The only way to get really accurate results is to get a heart rate monitor.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    No calculator is going to be more accurate than your own body and no calculator can account for everyone's individual differences in muscle, bone, and fat all of which affect calorie burn differently. External factors also affect burn like temperatures, elevation changes, etc., so take any exercise calorie burn with the proverbial grain of salt.
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    And not even all HRM are super accurate but you will get a general idea.
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This is what I have used in the past in conjunction w/my HRM it is pretty close...
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I posted about this one I found yesterday. Seems to reflect the values I get on my HRM pretty closely.

http://www.mygraphite.com/free-tools/exercise-calorie-calculator
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Can someone suggest a more reliable calculator? The one on MFP gives higher results than I've seen anywhere! Thanks!

Interesting, I use my phone when working-out - yesterday for example I walked (4mph) for 20 minutes as warmup/cooldown, and ran 5K in 29:46. I use Endomondo with a heart rate monitor, it calculated my total calories used was 673. When I plug the numbers into MFP (20 mins walking @ 4mph & 30 mins running @ 6mph), it computed calories burned as 548.

I'm sure that the correct amount is somewhere in-between, but MFP was way LOWER in it's calculation. Overall, I think the MFP calculator is quite accurate, some runs (easier runs, yesterday involved some brutal hills and headwinds) calorie totals come within a percentage or 2 of each other... pretty darned good for a guesstimate!
  • mysterysilk
    Options
    I'm agreeing with the people who say HRM's. I love mine... but I also only take about 80% of the calories I've burnt and log them. I figure with exercise, my body is still benefiting, but If I think I can eat a little less for the day (because I try to eat some of mine back) I'll be fine. Blah, basically, I love my HRM and this post was made with about 4 hours of sleep :D
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No calculator is going to be more accurate than your own body and no calculator can account for everyone's individual differences in muscle, bone, and fat all of which affect calorie burn differently. External factors also affect burn like temperatures, elevation changes, etc., so take any exercise calorie burn with the proverbial grain of salt.

This is true ^^^
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor. I use a Polar FT4. That is the only way it will be accurate to your body specifically.
  • MikiFinn
    Options
    I just downloaded the GPS Pro + for my I phone. It will track actual calories used. You enter the Age, height, chest size, waist size, hips size and weight and track for 2 days to get the metabolisim. Then you carry it with you and it will calculate. I used the basic pedometer pro App for free and liked but want something that will track actual everything. Has a heart rate monitor too. Pretty cool for $2.99 -I will let you know
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Not so sure about this one. It gave me a BMR 300+ calories higher than any other calculator I've tried. Total energy expended was also significantly high.
  • brenbrenm
    Options
    Thanks, guys!:smile:
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options

Not so sure about this one. It gave me a BMR 300+ calories higher than any other calculator I've tried. Total energy expended was also significantly high.

Yea now that you say that I have been tending to fudge the readings it gives me downwards! Might try some of the others posted on here. Thanks guys.