Crossfit

Options
Hi all,
I do Crossfit and BJJ at my gym. I see there's a BJJ entry, but nothing for Crossfit. I tried to piece together all the workouts, but there are some missing. Any idea what an hour of Crossfit would burn, approximately? If not, any ideas how I can estimate this myself? I'm not sure how you rate something like that.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mrs_Winfrey
    Mrs_Winfrey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It may be beneficial for you to get a heart rate monitor. I know it's hard for me to calculate my calorie burn when I do circuit training...just a thought :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No way of knowing. It depends on your gender, your age, your height and weight, the exercises performed, the amount of weights used and the intensity of your workout. So I'd say 500 for an hour. Plus or minus 250 depending on all the factors above.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I log it as circuit training mostly but use a HRM as each day is different. I am 33 6'1" and 195lbs. My typical burn in a 50 minute sessions is right around 650.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It'd vary session to session. No way to guesstimate it without a HRM.
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I just read something that said you can burn up to 1500 calories depending on your weight. And found this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/314319-calories-burned-doing-crossfit/
  • pompeoar
    pompeoar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, tons of great info - thanks everyone!
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I find this calculator quite helpful and seems pretty accurate in spite of some comments to the contrary at the end.
  • otiris81
    otiris81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always lo it as circuit training in the cardio section. I usually log it as 30 or 40 minutes because the workouts are generally rather short. I think it would definitely vary highly so I try and establish sort of an average of what I would burn and it usually ends up giving me around 250 for half an hour. I know in all reality you can burn way more doing crossfit but if I eat some of the 250 back I still end up with net calories in my mind. I feel like it would be cool if they came up with a way to add cross fit to MFP.