Workout Clothes question....

Options

Replies

• SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I prefer darker colors - especially on shorts. Hides sweat better. LOL

Tops - I like all colors. Sports bras should fit well. My girls are really small, but I really like a good fiting sports bra!

Pockets in the bra, shorts and/or socks would be beneficial for keys, phone, money.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    shirt material must be soft. chaffed nipples are the worst
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No color preference, I'd wear any. Agreed about supportive sports bra! I like the pocket idea too.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I want pockets, too.

I also hate how I can't seem to find a middle ground between SHOW ALL THE CURVES and having a top so baggy I look gigantic. Can't I have a sports top that neither reveals every body line nor wears like a tent??
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

2. my biggest frustration: tell me why the sports bras in smaller sizes (C cup and smaller) are made to be more supportive (formed cup, zip-up, re-enforced T razorback style) And those are only available up to size 38 band size. At least readily found in department stores, because let me tell you, I have been looking. Why are these super-supportive styles not available in larger sizes? Bigger women need the support more than small women. Because breast tissue is mostly fat, plus-size women tend to be more endowed in that particular area. My mom wants a front zip sports bra in a 44 and I want supportive formed cup sports bra with a T back in a DD. Why is that like asking for the moon and the stars?!?!!

I think it is really hard to work out bras for plus size women. Personally, at my heaviest I was a 36-38 band (H cup). So if I try on a shirt that fits well over my bust, it is too big in the chest. (This is still a problem for me) Of course there are other women that are larger in the band and smaller in the cup. More options would be great.

And for any busty women, you should buy a bra sized sports bra. Much better support. Try Shock Absorber.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Hi,

As I female of 5' 7" (Not mega tall) I always find tops are too short or ride up.

I tend to stick to black as a colour with an accent colour like pink or red.
  • EverlastBoston
    EverlastBoston Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bring back spandex....please
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    any color that does not show sweat is good. Zipper pockets a must!. Longer tops - i have a lot of weight in my stomach that hangs low so regular tops dont cut it. I prefer capri pants style.and yes PLEASE make larger size sports bras with support ... it is like trying to find plus size sexy lingerie ........ pretty much impossible!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I want some "animal print pants outta control" like RedFoo from LMFAO. :blushing: I like loud, bright, tacky, obnoxious colors to keep me more visible when running outside. Some reflective stripes wouldn't hurt, too.

I agree about the pockets. Pockets with zippers, and it would be especially helpful in tops because a phone in shorts pockets could slowly cause the pants to fall down. I use a SPIbelt now, so that helps a lot.

Enough room in the thighs to accommodate those of us with a lot of muscle or some extra mush who don't have legs like VS models. Nothing worse than wearing shorts that make you look like a can of Pillsbury dough just exploded. :noway:

I LOVE sports bras with lightly lined molded cups that hold the girls in place without squishing me into having one flat mono-boob. And a sports bra that hooks in the front would be nice. Or one that FULLY unhooks in the back, rather than ones you have to pull on and off over your head and hook or unhook in the back. Not so bad when you're putting it on, but trying to peel it off a sweaty body makes me feel like Houdini.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of starting an apparel company with some investors that focus on the workout/fitness apparel market.

Can I get some input on 2 questions...

1) What color clothes would you stay away from, for your gender?

2) What is the biggest problem you currently see with the apparel you wear while working out or playing sports?

1 -- Not a gender-specific one, but a lot of people seem to think its appropriate to run in the street in the dark wearing all dark colors. I'd like to see more bright color options for the safety issue because I just know one of these days I'm not going to see someone when I'm on my way to work and I don't want blood on my car.

Otherwise, I will wear pretty much any color.

2 -- I don't really have any problems I can point to. I'll tell you that I really like the running shorts with lining so I don't have to wear separate underwear and that they have a little pocket INSIDE the shorts for my key so I don't have to worry about losing it.

Oh, and remember that there are a lot of women out there with wider hips and smaller waists and it can be tough to find clothing that's comfy for that shape.
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    1) What color clothes would you stay away from, for your gender?
    Nothing I would stay away from but I prefer to work out in plain colours similar to those of a school uniform (black, grey & white mostly)

2) What is the biggest problem you currently see with the apparel you wear while working out or playing sports?
    I used to find that many pants were too short for me (I have way longer legs than torso) or would be too loose at the bottom and would easily ride up or snag on machines.
    Right now my only problem is that the under wire in my sports bra keeps creaking! oh, and my pants get stuck to my knees when I sweat (I have no idea how this happens)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    -Any color, though I tend to buy white less frequently as it eventually discolors.

-Biggest problems:

-Don't assume everyone who is a small size is short. Sleeves are often too short and tops not long enough.
    -Always include a key pocket in bottoms, yes, even in yoga pants (we do use them outside a yoga studio too!)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    -Any colors, I really like the bright neon colors...especially pink.
    - Sometimes long sleeve workout shirts have super long sleeves and I don't have super long arms, so I either roll them up or cut them and sew them, also yoga pants can be too long on me as well..maybe a size "Short", "Regular" and "Long" would help, and a pocket on them would be nice!
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Definately a place for your phone!!! Large enough that you don't have to take the case off & perhaps a velcro tag (or something similar) so your arms don't get all tangled up in the cord! 8-)

As far as colors.... anything goes-but please make sure the fabric doesn't show when it's wet! I hate the look of boob sweat & potty pants!
  • Nina1007
    Options
    10 years ago I had a sports bra that zipped up in th front. It was the most fabulous thing ever!! I have not been able to find another since. If anybody knows where they sell these bad boys please let me know. Otherwise could you make these! I'd buy the cap out of 'em!

And I definitely 2nd the idea of tops with pockets that zip!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    1. i would stay away from nuetral colors. when i work out i want to be bright and colorful. it helps my mood. i love bright blues, yellows, oranges and hot pink.
    2. i dont think my work out apparel has any problems but i make sure to buy tank and tops that have a hem line that goes past my hip bone that way when i work out my shirt doesnt ride up too far and show my stomache. So the long and lean tanks and shirts are my favorite because they are fitted to the body, but the length gives you the coverage you want while making your torso appear longer and flatter.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't wear white when working out as it shows too much.

I think that pants may need more reflective stuff for people who like to run at night.

One of the things that bothers me is that sports bras can be tough - mine is intense and you can actually see it above my shirts - I don't even wear it with my racer tanks because they have a built in shelf. Better sports bras are a must. Also, varying degrees of strength in the shelves of tanks.

shirts or pants with zip pockets for ID and stuff...loops in shirts for earbuds.

Also - an issue I currently have is that I don't wear underwear w/my workout pants when I run (it bunches and makes me uncomfortable). I know this is gross, so I don't wear them more than once, but there should be a way to work on that... shorts w/undies in them, and yoga/or running capries with a bigger liner in the crotch.

Be sure, that if you start this store, you cater to a plus-sized woman or man. We have a hard time finding clothing for fitness which can be discouraging.

A large selection of socks! I STILL have not found a pair I enjoy running in and therefore don't wear them which breaks my expensive shoes down much quicker.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1) Pink. It makes my *kitten* look fat.
    2) Big & Tall sizes for men. I'm 6'3 and finding stuff that fits can be a hassle at times. Yes, there are brands out there that cater to it but it's far and few.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't wear white when working out as it shows too much.

I think that pants may need more reflective stuff for people who like to run at night.

One of the things that bothers me is that sports bras can be tough - mine is intense and you can actually see it above my shirts - I don't even wear it with my racer tanks because they have a built in shelf. Better sports bras are a must. Also, varying degrees of strength in the shelves of tanks.

shirts or pants with zip pockets for ID and stuff...loops in shirts for earbuds.

Also - an issue I currently have is that I don't wear underwear w/my workout pants when I run (it bunches and makes me uncomfortable). I know this is gross, so I don't wear them more than once, but there should be a way to work on that... shorts w/undies in them, and yoga/or running capries with a bigger liner in the crotch.

Be sure, that if you start this store, you cater to a plus-sized woman or man. We have a hard time finding clothing for fitness which can be discouraging.

A large selection of socks! I STILL have not found a pair I enjoy running in and therefore don't wear them which breaks my expensive shoes down much quicker.

i had the same problem with undies bunching until i found the victorias secret boy shorts. they are tight enough to move with you but they wont bunch.
  • dodihere
    Options
    No one makes plus size workout clothing. Apparently only thin people work out.