Boosted immune system??

Options
Has anyone noticed a boost in their immune system since eating healthier/exercising?

Last week, my sons caught a DOOZY of a flu. They were both knocked out of commission for a full week- barely eating, sleeping all the time, coughing, runny nose, the works. On Thursday, my husband caught the Norwalk virus and spend 21 straight hours in the bathroom. I took care of all three of them, was exposed to MORE than my fair share of germs.... but didn't get sick. I fully expected to join hubby in throw-up city but it just never happened.

So I started thinking back and realized that I also didn't get a cold at all this winter so far. Not even a SIGN of a cold- stuffy nose, sore throat. NOTHING. This is very peculiar because normally I would have had at least one or two colds by now. EVERYONE in my family has been sick at least once over the past three months but I have felt great.

I'd like to think I'm just super-lucky, but honestly I'm completely flabbergasted.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I used to get 3 to 4 colds a year, I've had 1 in the last 2 years, so I'd say my immune system is boosted!
  • Flakes
    Options
    My kids have been sick multiple times and my Hubby is just getting over a cold, but I haven't caught anything. I did get a minor cold earlier in the winter, but I got over it really fast. Isn't that a great side effect to living healthier?!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yep. I haven't caught any of the mess going around. I usually catch at least 2 good colds in addition to a sinus infection and bronchitis every couple years. Not this year -- haven't really been sick since 12/31/2008 (2008!).

I thought for sure I was catching the dreadful cough-up-a-lung mess all (ALL) of my coworkers were kind enough to expose me to, but I just had a little scratchy throat and a runny nose for about 24 hours -- popped Vit C and iron the whole day -- and I was all better! I couldn't believe that was it.

I have so much freakin' sick leave saved up at work it's unbelievable. 7 weeks saved and I've only worked here 2.5 years. The only thing I ever use it for is dental and vision appointments a couple times a year. I almost wish I would catch a cold so I could lay out of work for a few days. :laugh:
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! :)

My whole family has been hit hard, but I've only barely grazed the sicknesses. It's been wonderful - and I think the only reason I've felt a bit run down is because I've been up most of the night for the last 7 or so nights. I've been exercising like a crazy woman and eating super-healthy....

you'll notice that if you have allergies, they will also be better with better eating habits.

I've found that SUGAR is a huge culprit in reducing my immunity to illness and allergies. Exercise helps, but sugar is the biggest thing for me.

Way to go!
    M.
  • lbpw
    lbpw Posts: 77
    Options
    i actually realized this the other day. i used to constantly have a sore throat and about 5 colds a year maybe more. i had a cold back in may i think and ive had nothing since. winter is usually horrible for me and this year has been fabulous!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me ever since I started doing a shot of wheatgrass juice every morning I haven't even had a sniffle this cold/flu season! Great stuff!
  • ultraviolet29
    Options
    I only started this about 3 weeks ago, and although i have a kind of flu atm i can tell im getting over it quicker than i would of done this time this year.. it's brilliant =]