Cheat meal help?

Options
Because I had two 'cheat' meals last week (the first involving frozen pizza + alcohol & the second involving a 3 course meal outing for my brother's birthday) I purposely didn't have one this weekend...however I'm planning another cheat meal for Saturday because they keep binges at bay & also boost my weight loss, always have. Thing is, I'm not craving anything.

What would be the best thing to have for my cheat meal that wont leave me full of cravings the day after?

Sweet vs savoury?

:smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What's your favourite food?

I had a cheat weekend too (my birthday) so I ate all my favourite foods - Steak, peanut butter cups, beer, wine, snagged a few chips from my boyfriend, bacon, sushi, onion soup with cheesy croutons! Yum yum, it has really kept me at bay!

I've been craving fish and chips all week so I'll be having that on Saturday!

Think...You're going to die tomorrow, what would be your last meal?
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    IMO, from personal experience, if you're not craving anything, don't cheat. Save it :) Maybe an unplanned outing later in the upcoming week? Save it for a time when you're ACTUALLY craving something. That way you can have what you want, when you actually want it. It would still be considered your cheat meal, just on a different day than you had planned. Don't waste sensless calories on a cheat meal you didn't really want in the first place. I've been there, done that, regretted eating it after because its not what I really wanted. But, what's done is done. Live and learn.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Carrots and celery.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    Carrots and celery.

Sweet!! Totally agree. Let's face it - if you're gonna "plan" a cheat meal, plan properly.
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to save mine for when I really fancy something, then I feel fulfilled - otherwise I just wish I'd have stuck to the healthy option if I wasn't that bothered. :-)
  • humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    IMO, from personal experience, if you're not craving anything, don't cheat. Save it :) Maybe an unplanned outing later in the upcoming week? Save it for a time when you're ACTUALLY craving something. That way you can have what you want, when you actually want it. It would still be considered your cheat meal, just on a different day than you had planned. Don't waste sensless calories on a cheat meal you didn't really want in the first place. I've been there, done that, regretted eating it after because its not what I really wanted. But, what's done is done. Live and learn.

Deffo agree with this.. don't cheat for the sake of it :)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Deffo agree with this.. don't cheat for the sake of it :)

But its not just for the sake of it, guys! I've lost over 50lbs having a cheat meal every week and I'm a recovered binge-eater so making sure I don't binge is my number one priority! Its just that I've been eating so healthy recently that my blood sugars are so stable and therefore I don't have those false hungers/cravings any more...I like to plan ahead, but I guess I'll just see what I'm in the mood for on the day X
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    If you don't have those "false hunger cravings", and you are not craving anything to have a cheat meal, then why cheat? If you're not craving the junk, I'd say your much closer to your recovering than you think by not craving the sweets and junk. If your levels are stable, and you have no cravings, it probably just means your body is adjusting to the healthier way of eating and you don't need to rely on a cheat meal per say. Congrats on your road to recovery as well!
  • Lyra89
    Options
    If you don't have those "false hunger cravings", and you are not craving anything to have a cheat meal, then why cheat? If you're not craving the junk, I'd say your much closer to your recovering than you think by not craving the sweets and junk. If your levels are stable, and you have no cravings, it probably just means your body is adjusting to the healthier way of eating and you don't need to rely on a cheat meal per say. Congrats on your road to recovery as well!

See my response above again - because of a binge-eating pattern that I've only been able to break BY incorporating cheat meals, and also, fat loss...I've done a lot of research and it seems that a boost in calories once per week aids an increase in metabolism, and it has worked for me so far!
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    But, I am by no means suggesting you eat clean, healthy foods 100% of the time! That drives me crazy. I can only last so long, then I have the days where my little bar goes WAYYYY into the red :) lol Sometimes you just need it! I just usually only do it when I truely want something in particular. Other than that, I try to stick within my calorie limits.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    ohh definitaly pizza !!! or wine !!! or both :P
  • Lyra89
    Options
    ohh definitaly pizza !!! or wine !!! or both :P

I'm certainly veering towards the wine haha! :wink: My main question is...would sugary foods (cake/chocolate) cause more cravings in the coming days than salty fatty foods (pizza/other take-out meal)
  • bethanywink
    Options
    pizza is my favorite "whatever, I dont care" meals. I guess thats what I call them. Friday night, I'm planning a girls night (with my daughter) and will be going out for icream and plan to "not care". :)