running alone

Options
i did something that im proud of yesterday

i went our for a 4 mile run all by myself :)

i always felt like id be self concious running alone, but i put my music on and off i went :)

it was harder alone as you have to keep your momentum up without someone there to keep you going, but i didnt stop

i reminded myself when i felt like walking that my mind will give up befre my body - so i should ignore my thoughts and keep going

proud of me :)

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Proud of you, too! :flowerforyou:
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Proud of you too! :) I agree that running with others is always easier. Great job! :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I understand the challenges of running alone, because that is what I do. I am not sure that I would know how to run with anyone :blushing: It definitely takes a lot of ignoring your own thoughts and a lot of positive self talk.
  • Great accomplishment!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I always run alone so I know how easy it is to walk more when there isn't anyone watching. Keep up the great work!!!
  • rickydeuce717
    rickydeuce717 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I printed this out and kept it in my pocket for my first half marathon:

“Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.”

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian
  • JABGoochie
    JABGoochie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thnaks guys- i am hoping this will give me the motivation and positively to get out there alone more often :)

ive done it once... so i can do it again :)
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great job! :)
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I always run alone it helps me stay focused on life. And it's cheaper than therapy :-)
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I run without other people but with my dog. As far as self-consciousness goes, I always tell myself that I would rather look silly for a short period of each day than to look chubby and out of shape 24X7. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out the door by yourself. I prefer to run solo (even though I do enjoy running with my kids they both like shorter runs - max 5km or so - and are way too fast for the old man) but I can understand how having a running buddy may help with commitment and accountability (and for safety too).

You do realize that this is a slippery slope to running addiction! Next thing you'll have a collection of race t-shirts overflowing from your dresser drawers! :laugh: :laugh:
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hmm I always run alone.... well kind of (2 kids in the stroller so not really alone but the only runner) and I have never really had any interest in running with others. But I see the flip side once looking at your post, having other will motivate and push you. My mind is my greatest challange, but I am finding it easier with c25k I run until it tells me to walk... where as my body was telling to stop and often I would.
    I love the quote put up earlier I will be adding that to my collection.
    Thanks for the insight and great job on running alone, love it especially on a beautiful path!
  • Culley34
    Options
    Even if you're the slowest runner on the road... you lap everyone on the couch.
  • jsheehan46
    jsheehan46 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job.

I do both - often run with my wife or alone....with my dog :) I find that i enjoy both for different reasons and I get a lot of internal thinking done when I'm alone. The other thing I do for motivation when needed is I use my GPS watch to track distance and speed.....gives me a distraction and allows me to set mini goals along the run.

Keep up the good fight!
    Jim
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yea! Congrats!