VACATION ADVICE NEEDED DESPERATELY

Options
So, I am going on a work vacation for 2 weeks to Spain (where the food is so so amazing) and I need some advice on how to stay on track whilst I'm away and cannot log my foods?

What should I try to do to stay on track?

What did others do?

PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I went to Florida for 10 days back in June. I logged my food to the best of my ability, made the healthiest choices I could but still allowing myself some splurges if I wanted and really only logged anything that I did that could really be considered exercise for me. I told myself I'm on vacation with my husband and kids to enjoy myself and make memories and not obsess over every bite of food I put into my mouth. We all had a great time and when I came back and did my scheduled weekly weigh in ( I missed 2 weigh-ins being gone) I found I lost 3.1 pounds!!! I'm sure it was all the swimming and walking I had done that helped. Just enjoy your vacation because life is too short not to! :)
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    As a user of this site you should be well informed on how to make healthy choices now.. I am confident you know the differences and don't need a web site to hold your hand

That being said.... I would live it up for those two days... Its just TWO little days and a chance to eat some fine cuisine.. I say enjoy it..
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I stayed on track while on vaca, just made healthy choices and eat in moderation. I also continued my running while there it was great to see have a different view. Maybe allow yourself 1 indulgient meal a day.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you have an ipad bring that, do it offline -you don't need internet connection to write everything down but you can still see how much everything is. when you get back, turn it on and it will put everything onto your mfp.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Recently went on vacay for a week and ended up gaining only 1 lb.
    Here's what I did:
    1. Allow yourself one meal per day where you don't count calories. Don't go crazy, but eat what you want.
    2. Stay active- keep up your exercise and find activites to do that keep you moving
    3. Buy some food to keep in your hotel room for healthy snacks. Fruit, almonds, milk & cereal for breakfast. I bought a cooler to keep in my room.
    4. Save calories on drinks - stick to water, diet soda & very low calorie alcoholic drink if you must such as lite beer, bloody mary, diet coke & crown.

Good luck to you, have fun!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you go over your maintenance calories (not your MFP goal) by 1000 calories each and every day of your vacation, which isn't very likely since you'll also probably be quite active, and an extra 1000 calories is quite a lot of food, you run the risk of gaining 4 pounds while your'e on vacation. That's an absolute worst case scenario. It's not going to derail your progress. You already know how to lose weight, and you'll lose it again once your back on track.

Enjoy your vacation. Enjoy the fabulous cuisine. Go for long walks during the day and dance your *kitten* off at night. Get back on the plan when you get home, but don't weigh yourself for a week after you return.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As a user of this site you should be well informed on how to make healthy choices now.. I am confident you know the differences and don't need a web site to hold your hand

That being said.... I would live it up for those two days... Its just TWO little days and a chance to eat some fine cuisine.. I say enjoy it..

Ditto.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was in Spain and Morroco right before I started MFP. I had internet connection everywhere so I was able to use my Kindle and could have logged in had I been using MFP then. Also you will probably be walking more than normal so that extra exercise will help balance some of the food (unless you plan on driving and let me tell you...I drove for 3 days only while in Spain and driving in Madrid traffic was TERRIFYING). If you've been logging and doing this for a while now, you know how to make the right choices and you will do fine!! Have a great trip!
  • celb500
    Options
    Thanks - even though I have been doing this for a while i'm only on 1,200 calories a day so things add up even when they are healthy so I have to be very careful and on holiday this can be hard when it is for 2 whole WEEKS.

HOWEVER, MASSIVE Thanks to those who gave tips, they really help!
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    If you're near a coast, eat a lot of the nice seafood cooked simply and tastefully. Stay away from the Spanish richer foods. There is beautiful produce there so if it were me I'd buy a bag of plums, peaches, etc and keep them in my room to snack on or have before meals out.

Enjoy!
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I completely agree with LorinaLynn. How often do you go to Spain for a holiday? ENJOY it! Enjoy all the good food - eat only the best, don't stuff yourself. Walk lots, workout daily, enjoy the food! Don't weigh yourself for one week after you return. You'll be fine.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    She said two weeks, not two days:)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The potions served in European countries are much less than the massive portions you receive here in the US. Keep it healthy, but enjoy the food, and move as much as you can. I always try to find a safe area to run each morning, or at least use the hotel fitness center.

I find it easier to keep the calories {except for alcohol} at a steady, healthy level, because there is no pantry in a hotel, to raid when you get the munchies.